NCL Star Propulsion Problems

Ron_L

So, is she up and running normally now? :confused: We board in 13 days!!!

What happens when a ship is unable to sail?? Better question....What happens if this propulsion thingy fails in the middle of the ocean???:eek::confused:

I am also sailing Nov 1 on the Star and I was thinking the exact same thing! I even used the term 'propulsion thingy'. :D

It would appear that all repairs are completed, and ship is back to normal.

If the ship was unable to sail, they would either adjust the itinerary or cancel the cruise and offer compensation.

If the pod failed at sea, the only difference would be that the ship could not make full speed, so itinerary changes might be required.

As a note, this was not a failure of the propulsion or steering functions of the pod. It was leaking oil into the water, and under international water pollution regulations, this had to be addressed as quickly as possible. The pod could have been used in emergency conditions or to avoid storms. This problem in no way affected the safety or seaworthyness of the vessel.

Thank you so much for youir informati0on! As much as I joke I never want to come back from vacation, being lost at sea is NOT what I have in mind, LOL:D

I am also sailing Nov 1 on the Star and I was thinking the exact same thing! I even used the term 'propulsion thingy'. :D

Now that's pretty funny! I have no idea about sailing and vessels, so only thing I could picture is no propulsion means can't move forward, so we be stuck in the middle of the ocean forever....OK, a bit extreme I know :p

Will you be at the meet and greet?

Now that's pretty funny! I have no idea about sailing and vessels, so only thing I could picture is no propulsion means can't move forward, so we be stuck in the middle of the ocean forever....OK, a bit extreme I know :p

Will you be at the meet and greet?

Ha ha! This is only my third cruise, so I don't know any of the terminology.

How does a meet and greet work? I guess I should read about it lol.

This was posted on the Port Tampa Webcam FB page 4 hours ago:

Norwegian Star still docked at Port Tampa Bay while underwater repairs on her azipods continue. Current ETD is 2:30am tomorrow morning -- updated from Tampa Bay Pilots traffic list : tampabaypilots

Those divers are making some serious OT money:)

The Star docked successfully this morning at about 3:00 AM. Being in a starboard aft balcony cabin, we immediately heard loud banging below. When we woke up again at 7:00 AM, there were divers in the water and the outer seal covers were on the dock being welded on... Lots of equipment!!! Looks like they are now working on the Starboard side pods... The Star may not sail on time tonight... :confused:

The Star docked successfully this morning at about 3:00 AM. Being in a starboard aft balcony cabin, we immediately heard loud banging below. When we woke up again at 7:00 AM, there were divers in the water and the outer seal covers were on the dock being welded on... Lots of equipment!!! Looks like they are now working on the Starboard side pods... The Star may not sail on time tonight... :confused:

So was this actually stated by NCL or is this speculation? I would think if NCL was going to delay they would be saying something?

Just speculation on my part... of course they said nothing about our 3:00 AM departure from Tampa last Monday night either (at about 5:00 PM they said we would leave about 10:00 PM due to propulsion problems)... Just don't be surprised...

Edited by Brandon Girl

The Azipod mechanical issues that the Star has is the least of their problems. The Star needs to overhaul their entire passenger service program. There is so much to complain about the cruise we just got off this morning 10/25/2015 I dont know where to begin. By far the worst cruise we have ever been on. This happened to be our 1st cruise on NCL and WILL be our last. NCL needs to learn from Royal how to run a cruise company when it come to passenger service. Most everyone one we spoke to had the same feelings, its totally absurd to run out of strawberry daiquiri mix and Grey Goose vodka the 2nd day of any cruise especially after spending the amount to time they were in Tampa before we left last Tuesday morning. The waiting lines on pool deck and lack of servers to get drinks was just totally unbelievable. The list goes on and on and on. We have never been so happy to be home after a cruise, just to get away from the frustration of the NCL Star.:mad::mad::mad:

The Azipod mechanical issues that the Star has is the least of their problems. The Star needs to overhaul their entire passenger service program. There is so much to complain about the cruise we just got off this morning 10/25/2015 I dont know where to begin. By far the worst cruise we have ever been on. This happened to be our 1st cruise on NCL and WILL be our last. NCL needs to learn from Royal how to run a cruise company when it come to passenger service. Most everyone one we spoke to had the same feelings, its totally absurd to run out of strawberry daiquiri mix and Grey Goose vodka the 2nd day of any cruise especially after spending the amount to time they were in Tampa before we left last Tuesday morning. The waiting lines on pool deck and lack of servers to get drinks was just totally unbelievable. The list goes on and on and on. We have never been so happy to be home after a cruise, just to get away from the frustration of the NCL Star.:mad::mad::mad:

I am sorry you are upset about your cruise. You really should go back to Royal if waiting for a drink and the lack of Grey Goose meant so much. These nice people are discussing the azipod problems and not drink service.

Our last RCCL ran out of Banana daquari mix on the second day as well. Even worse, rather than say there was no mix and loose a sale, the server tried blending a banana and crushed ice up. It was not good. But running out of drinks is not specific to any one cruiseline.

This is your first CC post? Was there anything that pleased you?

I was also on this cruise... AMEN and AMEN!!!!

I am sorry you are upset about your cruise. You really should go back to Royal if waiting for a drink and the lack of Grey Goose meant so much. These nice people are discussing the azipod problems and not drink service.

Yes this thread started with propulsion but really the service was horrible. The staff told us that they were overwhelmed by SO MANY people... Told us they had been used to the Baltic cruisers who left the ship early each morning and returned late in the day. They were not used to having so many passengers all day! Every time you sat down for a meal, the service was SOOOO SLOW.... even in the least of the eating establishments. The lines to get anything were so long! The food quality had dropped also...Our Butler did not communicate with us very well, letting us know how long something would take. She just said "Yes Mamam" and left for hours. (It took her 2 hours to pick up a video we borrowed on the last day.) Pre-cruise, I ordered a shrimp tray and a cheese tray. She should have asked me when I would like for her to deliver them... Instead I had to track her down and tell her when we wanted them. She did not even know I had ordered them... Poor, poor service. I really expected more from Norwegian... Especially for Suite passengers! We too might consider Royal Caribbean for our next cruise...

I was also on this cruise... AMEN and AMEN!!!!

I was also on this cruise and my husband says he will NEVER sail on NCL again after this cruise. I will start another thread on it since this is mostly about the propulsion issue but that was by far the least of the issues.

I have NEVER written a negative word on cruise critic and love cruising but this was beyond awful.

This was our first Suite experience and it was not the "sweet life" we were looking forward to.

Brandon Girl Thank you for your expression on this cruise Yes this was a propulsion issue to start this thread. However I tried to express our total dissatisfaction with the entire cruise not focusing on just the pool deck and long long lines but the total lack of service in every part of the cruise. Even the major officers of the ship complaints from us and other fell on deaf ears, almost to the point that they just did not care. Yes you should look into Royal for your next cruise, after the many cruises we have been on you would not be unhappy with the service and attention to detail you will receive from Royal. We were told last night (Saturday) by a person in the jewelry store the ship was understaffed by 75 to 100 people. Its to bad that our 1st cruise on NCL will be our last, but our history with Royal far out shines our 1st cruise with NCL. The cruise just totally SUCKED start to finish even the disorganized way they had people leaving the ship this morning