NCL Star Propulsion Problems

Ron_L

So, is she up and running normally now? :confused: We board in 13 days!!!

What happens when a ship is unable to sail?? Better question....What happens if this propulsion thingy fails in the middle of the ocean???:eek::confused:

It would appear that all repairs are completed, and ship is back to normal.

If the ship was unable to sail, they would either adjust the itinerary or cancel the cruise and offer compensation.

If the pod failed at sea, the only difference would be that the ship could not make full speed, so itinerary changes might be required.

As a note, this was not a failure of the propulsion or steering functions of the pod. It was leaking oil into the water, and under international water pollution regulations, this had to be addressed as quickly as possible. The pod could have been used in emergency conditions or to avoid storms. This problem in no way affected the safety or seaworthyness of the vessel.

We are checked in, on our aft balcony and see a out of work going on, complete with wet suits out, parts stem on the dock. I don't know how to upload a photo from my mobile phone. Will try to figure it out

Edited by jewliana

Yep, info channel on cabin TV says we're leaving at midnight. Also they've quietly listed that Costa Maya is the next port, with the planned track showing Roatan as 2nd port. Swapping the two effectively. No announcements about this yet, just on the info tv channel.

Edited by gpb11

It did fail in the middle of the ocean.

For this particular issue, I am guessing they may have shut down the one azipod. The other was still operational, so she was able to make her way home (skipping a port of call)

Based on the excellent info provided by chen, and other running commentary. It should be fixed by sailing time today. Passengers have been given assurances that they are sailing on-time, and no one has posted any differently.

So, is she up and running normally now? :confused: We board in 13 days!!!

What happens when a ship is unable to sail?? Better question....What happens if this propulsion thingy fails in the middle of the ocean???:eek::confused:

On the other hand, the "gray funnel line" never has to show a profit.

And, as I said, the most common reason for a seal failure is "ingestion" of fishing equipment.

I tell my USN maintenance management students this all the time. The Navy is the only maritime entity that will go into the dry dock and stay for months at a time. They're not losing money and it costs BIG BUCKS to dry dock a ship.

It did fail in the middle of the ocean.

For this particular issue, I am guessing they may have shut down the one azipod. The other was still operational, so she was able to make her way home (skipping a port of call)

No, it did not.

Propulsion system was working fine and she could've maneuver in port

She skipped the port of call for another reason, not because she couldn't make it.

I was told from the port crew that the Coast Guard spotted an oil/hydraulic-fluid trail coming from her...just passing on what i was told.

In any case the music is playing but doesn't look like she is about to go anywhere real fast right now....so that midnight estimate may be correct.

CD announced 10pm departure and the swapped itinerary a little while ago. His announcement suggested he'd said same at 4:30pm but we were in cabin then and didn't hear him.

Shrug. I'm on ship with UBP. :D

BTW looking at pier and crew there are two air hosed into water right now so they're working on something still. The various parts are gone now, presumably reattached.

Edited by gpb11

This was posted on the Port Tampa Webcam FB page 4 hours ago:

Norwegian Star still docked at Port Tampa Bay while underwater repairs on her azipods continue. Current ETD is 2:30am tomorrow morning -- updated from Tampa Bay Pilots traffic list : tampabaypilots