Is Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration SAME as

kazda

Hi

I have booked the Misty Fjords National Monument seaplane tour directly with Michelle at Island Wings Air Service for June 2016 out of Ketchikan .

I saw that Princess excursions also have the Misty Fjords National Monument seaplane tour available and was wondering is the excursion available through the ship operated by Michelle at Island Wings ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by kazda

No - if you want Michelle with Island Wings, you need to book direct with her. Stay with Michelle - she gets excellent reviews! You often get more with Michelle - as you can do a landing and get off the plane, etc.... You won't get that with the cruise line companies.

Princess used to use ProMech - not sure who they use now or if they are still with ProMech.

This is a great example of doing with a private excursion (as opposed through the cruise line) provides a better excursion/more personalized excursion.

Edited by Coral

No, as stated above.

However, the major contracted vendor is Taquan, over many years. Promech, is also ship contracted. they do have the contracts for Neets, so those tours are with them.

Just depends on the ship bookings how many seats are alloted.

There are several excellent independent vendors, with Island Wings only one of them. :)

No, as stated above.

However, the major contracted vendor is Taquan, over many years. Promech, is also ship contracted. they do have the contracts for Neets, so those tours are with them.

Just depends on the ship bookings how many seats are alloted.

There are several excellent independent vendors, with Island Wings only one of them. :)

do you know who does the excursion offered through Princess, "Alaska Bear Adventure & Flight", in Ketchikan?

Here's the description:

Your excursion begins as you board your motorcoach for a short drive to the floatplane terminal. Upon arriving, you'll board an Alaska floatplane with a guaranteed window seat for your 25 minutes in the air.

You'll depart for a remote site (Traitors Cove or Polk Inlet, depending on viewing conditions) in Tongass National Forest, where you'll meet your guide/naturalist. After a short drive to the trailhead, you'll take a quarter-mile walk along a trail to a viewing platform overlooking a salmon-rich stream.

You'll spend almost an hour watching black bears fishing for and feeding on salmon heading upstream to spawn, and eagles perch in surrounding trees waiting for scraps. Although wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, keep your camera ready for a myriad of photo opportunities. (Access to this area is limited as it's controlled by the U.S. Forest Service to minimize impact on the wildlife population and to protect this fragile environment.)

Your excursion concludes with a 25-minute return flight back to the floatplane terminal, and a relaxing drive back to the pier.

Thanks,

Mary

do you know who does the excursion offered through Princess, "Alaska Bear Adventure & Flight", in Ketchikan?

Here's the description:

Your excursion begins as you board your motorcoach for a short drive to the floatplane terminal. Upon arriving, you'll board an Alaska floatplane with a guaranteed window seat for your 25 minutes in the air.

You'll depart for a remote site (Traitors Cove or Polk Inlet, depending on viewing conditions) in Tongass National Forest, where you'll meet your guide/naturalist. After a short drive to the trailhead, you'll take a quarter-mile walk along a trail to a viewing platform overlooking a salmon-rich stream.

You'll spend almost an hour watching black bears fishing for and feeding on salmon heading upstream to spawn, and eagles perch in surrounding trees waiting for scraps. Although wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, keep your camera ready for a myriad of photo opportunities. (Access to this area is limited as it's controlled by the U.S. Forest Service to minimize impact on the wildlife population and to protect this fragile environment.)

Your excursion concludes with a 25-minute return flight back to the floatplane terminal, and a relaxing drive back to the pier.

Thanks,

Mary

Likely Taquan. You are probably going to be paying the most, going through the ship, however. Promech could also pick up contracts.

Thanks for the fast response, BQ.

Island Wings was the same price within $5, as going with the ship.

I don't know anything about Taquan...will need to do some research.

Mary

I don't like your ship excursion since it gives them an out with Traitors. Traitor's can't accommodate unlimited people. I suspect their "choosing" is based more on bookings than, sightings. I am very picky about my vendors, and more picky where I go, with costly tours. :) Last few times, I have simply chartered flights since there were 3 of us to Traitor's.

oh, I see. They might "choose" Polk inlet, simply based on what works best for them? Traitors is the better trip? We will be there on Sept 4, 2016.

Mary

You are going late for both areas, in my opinion. Verify the peak sighting stats.

Polk Inlet- is also accessible by drive up. I am not certain, if a fly in goes to a less accessible area?