Just off sunshine

paradise825

Have to agree with you. We are going on the Sunshine for the second time in January. We also just got off the Breeze and I prefer the Sunshine. It has about the same things as the Breeze. Also with the Breeze being so big everything is a longer walk to get to.

I have heard so many negative things, I won't be wasting my money to try it. A coworker, who cruises regularly, will cruise any ship, except the Sunshine. My manager just got off her and wasn't thrilled with the layouts. Both have said during shows, half the people cant even see because of the poor design, and that the space is so small, a lot of people are turned away.

I am excited for the Sunshine to be moved to a distant port and a better ship comes to PC.

I'm glad neither one of us listened! We had a great time on the Sunshine.

All the talk about the layout being confusing, crowded, blah blah. I got lost on that ship just like any other I've been on for the first couple of days. And I was able to find a place to layout on deck getting up there in the afternoon! And I found a spot each time I went to the serenity deck!!!:eek:

Surely I must be making things up, or have lower expectations! Whateverrrr! The money was well spent.

Didn't like everything but did like the vast majority of the entire experience.

We would book her when she's right here in NY next year, but we want to keep exploring other ships.

So happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise. Yes the service is excellent! :)

I have heard so many negative things, I won't be wasting my money to try it. A coworker, who cruises regularly, will cruise any ship, except the Sunshine. My manager just got off her and wasn't thrilled with the layouts. Both have said during shows, half the people cant even see because of the poor design, and that the space is so small, a lot of people are turned away.

I am excited for the Sunshine to be moved to a distant port and a better ship comes to PC.

Which ship will replace her in Port Canaveral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which ship will replace her in Port Canaveral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None.

The Sunshine is not being replaced. She will move around starting in late Spring to Norfolk, Charleston, and NYC. Then she will make her way back to Port Canaveral by November of next year - back to her home port. The Magic will move to Port Canaveral next April, which is its new home port.

I love how people find fault with the fact that someone else liked a particular ship. Especially when they haven't sailed it themselves.

I'm even a fan of the Fantasy class and you'd think I was telling people how I like to sail on garbage barges. :rolleyes:

I've yet to get "lost" on a ship. But then, to me, they're all just bigger versions of the same Fantasy-class ships. And, after all, there are deck plans available to look at, too.

I don't sail for the ship, but I'm looking forward to seeing the different venues that Sunshine has compared to the others. It will also give me a sort of mini-preview of Vista, since she'll have some of the same venues.

People rave about Splendor and I didn't think she was all that wonderful, yet I'll be on her again net Friday because it's the ship that's going where I want to go. And I'll have a good time, whether I think the ship is perfect or not.

How do you know you're wasting money if you haven't stepped foot on her. I've sailed on the Sunshine twice and she runs a close 2nd to the Dream for me. I can also say you and your friends are 100% wrong about 1/2 the people in the shows can't see. This from someone who's actually cruised the Sunshine.

Thanks! Sail on her from Charleston in May and looking forward to having another ship besides Fantasy to choose from, so close to home!

The latest reviews under the review section were all 3 from people who sailed the Bermuda cruise, which of course changed ports and all 3 were negative because of that. Can't blame the port change as it is clearly in the cruise contract that it could happen and you take a chance sailing during hurricane season. So, I can't put much stock in those reviews.

Thanks for some positive! I know there are pros and cons to every ship. It is still better than being at work no matter what ship, LOL!

debbie

The latest reviews under the review section were all 3 from people who sailed the Bermuda cruise, which of course changed ports and all 3 were negative because of that. Can't blame the port change as it is clearly in the cruise contract that it could happen and you take a chance sailing during hurricane season. So, I can't put much stock in those reviews.

I didn't post a review but was on the Sunshine for the Bermuda cruise that wasn't LOL. However we loved the Sunshine as a ship, had sailed on her in Europe 2 years ago and enjoyed it then also. It does have some flaws based on the remodel that was done but there are flaws on other ships too. But I must address the comment about cruising during hurricane season, most of us didn't pay a hurricane season fare for this cruise, it was very pricey going to Bermuda. I think that's why a lot of people on the cruise were very unhappy with the whole situation. But in all fairness the Sunshine was still a great ship and we would sail on her again!

We just sailed her last month. Thought the boat was great! Had a few plumbing issues from what I could see ( buckets catching water in hallway) but didn't effect me in anyway...loved the service in all areas. That is why we r booked again on her in a few weeks:)

Those majority of negative posts on the Sunshine are from people who have never stepped foot on her (some may have when she was the Destiny). Go figure...... We loved the Sunshine and are sailing her again in February.

There are 533 reviews of the Sunshine here on Cruise Critic. More than enough for me to see the trending positives and negatives. The highest rating of cruise reviewers who loved the Sunshine that I saw was 63%, today it is 61%. The Sunshine is the lowest rated ship in the Carnival fleet and probably will always be. I would assume the 533 reviewers actually sailed on the Sunshine. I mostly sail Carnival but I will not sail the Sunshine...

How do you know you're wasting money if you haven't stepped foot on her. I've sailed on the Sunshine twice and she runs a close 2nd to the Dream for me. I can also say you and your friends are 100% wrong about 1/2 the people in the shows can't see. This from someone who's actually cruised the Sunshine.

It would be a waste for me to spend the money, and find out they were right. There are many other options, and I will glady go with one of those, where I know I will have a great time. I have two people close to me who have cruised the Sunshine, and no offense, but I trust them over you.

I love how people find fault with the fact that someone else liked a particular ship. Especially when they haven't sailed it themselves.

I'm even a fan of the Fantasy class and you'd think I was telling people how I like to sail on garbage barges. :rolleyes:

I've yet to get "lost" on a ship. But then, to me, they're all just bigger versions of the same Fantasy-class ships. And, after all, there are deck plans available to look at, too.

I don't sail for the ship, but I'm looking forward to seeing the different venues that Sunshine has compared to the others. It will also give me a sort of mini-preview of Vista, since she'll have some of the same venues.

People rave about Splendor and I didn't think she was all that wonderful, yet I'll be on her again net Friday because it's the ship that's going where I want to go. And I'll have a good time, whether I think the ship is perfect or not.

Exactly!!! People love the Dream and I thought it was just OK! But still had a great time!! I always think you have to be a really downer to not have a great time on a vacation! Cruise or not! I, personally, could careless what the layout of the ship is or how big rooms are! You make do! It's vacation!

And just because a close friend/family didn't like something doesn't mean I'll hate it too! If a ship is going somewhere I want to go...I'm jumping onboard!

It would be a waste for me to spend the money, and find out they were right. There are many other options, and I will glady go with one of those, where I know I will have a great time. I have two people close to me who have cruised the Sunshine, and no offense, but I trust them over you.

I think you are making the right decision not to book her. You've already been heavily influenced. There's no way you would enjoy yourself regardless. But for cruisers who aren't that heavily swayed by reviews and personal opinion one way or another, I think the Sunshine is one of Carnival's best options. Now that's just me. We picked her because she sails from our favorite Florida port. She offered a great Waterpark for the kids. Sushi for my husband. A ton of food options for the greedy in all of us. Lol. And the Southern Caribbean route without having to go all the way down to Miami.

Barring that ridiculously little behind comedy club, I don't have a single issue with the Sunshine. I remedied that by getting there early. Drink in hand of course to ease the wait. Lol.

Again I think you are making the right decision but don't always assume you will feel the same about something as someone close to you. My sister and I went to Aruba together as a port stop while on the Sunshine. I didn't like it. and would likely not go back. On the other hand, my sister has been raving about it and can't wait to go back. It's good to experience things for yourself, but only if you have an open mind to begin with.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Sunshine is only leaving for a time, it will be back later next year. Magic will be in PC as well.

I have sailed sunshine twice this year and I love the ship. If your most important aspect of a cruise is having a prime seat in Lido or Serenity then you may have negative thoughts because it is a cramp lido deck on sea days.

The 2.0 upgrades set this ship apart and I didn't notice any unusual crowding issues. Example because they have so many food choices I never once had to wait more than a couple of minutes at Wok or Omelet station.

Anywho, there are 20+ carnival ships so we have all choices and you have to have some way of eliminating them.

Enjoy your next cruise.

The most common concerns I have read regarding the Sunshine are crowding on the lido deck (show me a Carnival ship that doesn't have this!) and poor seating in the lounge used for the comedy shows (not really an issue for us, may or may not go).

But what has me excited for this ship are the variety of dining options as we love having a lot of variety! I believe Sunshine has more dining venues than any other ship in the fleet. So for this we are very excited!

Please, if you had a positive experience, post a nice review. I do look at reviews and consider, with a grain of salt, what other cruisers think about a ship. I would not book a cruise on the Sunshine now because of the negative reviews. Some more positive reviews would bring up the averages and maybe give a more accurate assessment of the ship.

There are 533 reviews of the Sunshine here on Cruise Critic. More than enough for me to see the trending positives and negatives. The highest rating of cruise reviewers who loved the Sunshine that I saw was 63%, today it is 61%. The Sunshine is the lowest rated ship in the Carnival fleet and probably will always be. I would assume the 533 reviewers actually sailed on the Sunshine. I mostly sail Carnival but I will not sail the Sunshine...

You can obviously sail whatever ship you want. We can debate whether they (the people doing the reviews) have actually sailed or not. That being said, the vast majority of negative reviews are from when she first sailed, unfinished and she did have issues. True she was sailing, but she has had a much better review record recently (and as far as I know, you can't sail in the past - distant or otherwise). Her recent reviews are trailing significantly higher and in fact, the ones posted on the thread (and not submitted to the "official" review post are even more so. My point on negative comments are the ones made on people who have not sailed her, some might even have an agenda in doing so:eek:.

Please, if you had a positive experience, post a nice review. I do look at reviews and consider, with a grain of salt, what other cruisers think about a ship. I would not book a cruise on the Sunshine now because of the negative reviews. Some more positive reviews would bring up the averages and maybe give a more accurate assessment of the ship.

It was last spring break when we sail on the Sunshine and it was our favorite Carnival ship so far. Perhaps we know how to navigate a cruise ship after so many, but we simply avoid crowded places (Lido deck) at crowded times (lunch feeding frenzie). We are not pool sitters, and much prefer the privacy of our balcony, so perhaps that is a contributing factor in that we LOVED having the sports deck, sushi, JiJi's, and Havana bar - all but the sports deck was almost never crowded. But we expected the sports deck to be a popular place and if we needed to find our son, we pretty much knew where to go. We also tend to do early seating dining, and we did this trip bases upon reviews of delays for ATD - so no issue their either. Yes, there were lines certain nights for the comedy club - but I have found that to be the case on most cruises as it has become a very popular after dinner show; we can only recall one night that we didn't make it in and the most we waited was 15-20 minutes - so really no different than waiting for a movie to start. This ship was a TON of fun and we would sail her again in a heartbeat. So, anyone who has a "cruising profile" that fits ours (2 teens, less Lido and more balcony time) would likely love her.

Thanks everyone who has posted positives about the Sunshine, we leave on Friday 10/23 and are excited to be on this cruise. We have a balcony so if the public areas get too crowed I know we can catch a lovely breeze on our own balcony. We chose ATD as it gives us more freedom as to when we can eat, I am not worried about getting lost on the ship, it usually only takes a few turns about the ship to know where everything is - that's what the little maps and signage is for right? Anyone hear if the Hub App is going live this weekend? I am still waiting to hear about that. Can't wait!