Which Mayan ruins are better for us -Chacchoben or Kohunlich

newbie3815

My husband has some back issues that he may not be able to climb a lot of stairs depending on how he is feeling that day. We have never seen any of the Mayan ruins. Which one would allow us to see the most without having to do a lot of climbing stairs and long walks. Our NCL cruise has excursions to both when we visit Costa Maya

thanks

I have not been to Kohunlich, pictures look much more impressive than Chacchoben. However, I have been to Chacchoben. We were not allowed to climb the larger pyramid and the smaller one did not have a lot of steps. We were only high enough to just barely look above the tree tops of the surrounding scrub forest.

This was our third Mayan ruin. After Lamanai in Belize and Tikal in Guatemala, Chacchoben felt like a poor cousin. In addition, the small site was very crowded and our guide was not interesting. From the point of view of not walking much, it is good with smooth trails and few steps. I hope somebody knows how much or little you need to walk in Kohunlich.

Edited by Floridiana

Did you check TripAdvisor for info on the two sites? Like Floridiana we have been to Chacchoben. That was 4 years ago, I think. Most of the paths were gravel, but there were a couple of areas that were bare earth and tree roots. When we got to the place where we allowed to climb, there was a bench for people who didn't want to do the climb to sit and wait.

We used The Native Choice, not a cruise line tour, and were very happy with them.

We used The Native Choice, not a cruise line tour, and were very happy with them.
I'm also a fan of The Native Choice. The owners are Mayan and lived at the site. We took their "Mayan Experience" excursion, which combined a tour of the Chacchoben ruins with lunch with a Mayan family in the village of Chacchoben.