Seville over Christmas

wave rider

Hi All

We are going TA in October 2016 on Equinox and I have been reading these Boards for great tips and recommendations. We also have another trip to Spain planned for December this year to pick up our DD who is studying in Granada this fall. We are planning right now on being in Seville 12/24-26. My questions is if anyone can not only recommend a hotel but any restaurants that you think will be open Christmas Day. We want to visit Seville and hope it is large enough that something is open and we won't have to knock on doors and invite ourselves in. Anyone with thoughts?

Thanks so much.

We'll be in Seville at the Alfonso XIII in a few weeks. I can check restaurant openings and report back, if you haven't found anything by that time. The Alfonso is a Starwood property, so I can't imagine that it's restaurants would be closed. Also, you could probably use one of the big western hotels websites to email a hotel directly to ask what may be open in town.

You will only find things closed on Christmas day itself and will have no problem on the 24th of 26th. Even the Christmas market will be open on the 24th.

In Madrid it has become very fashionable for some families to eat a Christmas 'lunch' on Christmas day from around 2pm to 5 pm at many popular spots. Seville is a much more 'traditional' Spanish city and they may not have adapted to the same habits as Madrid though.

Once you find a hotel, I would ask the hotel Concierge or Guest Services to assist you in selecting a restaurant that will be open on Christmas day. Casual options will be plentiful most likely.

As Christmas in Spain goes through the 6th of January everything will be back in normal fashion and the peak Christmas shopping time in Spain can actually be the days between Christmas and the 5th of January.

If you are in Spain on the 22nd of December, the Christmas lottery is a very big deal and is one of the largest in the world. You could always buy a ticket prior to or on a stop on your cruise and then collect your winnings during your Christmas holiday, if you enjoy lotteries.

Most places will be closed on 25th, so you would probably be better having a meal in the hotel restaurant. However, bars and restaurants also close early on the 24th as everybody goes home early. The main Christmas meal is eaten on the evening of 24th in Spain and most of mainland Europe.

I have spent many Christmases in Seville with my Spanish friend and the city has a lovely atmosphere. There will be lots of decorations around, street illuminations and the 'belenes' which are Nativity scenes.

• 3 weeks later...
You will only find things closed on Christmas day itself and will have no problem on the 24th of 26th.

On the 24th many places close much earlier than usual so that staff can join their families for the celebrations so your nighttime choice may be limited and early booking is recommended for those places that do open.

As said above, the 26th is a normal working day here in Spain so everywhere is open.