update on orient

negn

Just returned from cruise and spent the day at Orient which is my favorite beach. Was concerned with all I'd read re. seaweed and construction. Glad to report, was as wonderful as ever. We went to Bikini beach abd were far from the construction and found very small amt seaweed on edge of beach, easily avoidable

Thanks for the update. The construction area is such a small part of Orient, and down near one end but it seemed difficult to explain that to folks that have never been to this very large beach before. Glad to hear that the seaweed issue that really was an issue this past May and July/August during my visits is much better and not an issue at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

We were there the end of September and construction is still ongoing. But it is not the whole beach as some people have tried to sensationalize it. It is a relatively small stretch of the beach that is affected.

Based on what I saw of the construction, it should be done before the end of the year (even taking island time into account). I think it will be a good thing even if it standardizes the look of the vendors.

ken

I heard Dec 15 was the newest opening. This was from a relative of one of the owners moving into the new construction. Originally the date was Oct 15th.

karysa,

I read yesterday that prior owners have until next Friday, the 20th, to even apply for a spot. Unknown location amongst the new structures.

Also, this quote is shocking:

... last general meeting was over 4 months ago. We were told that the delivery date would be the end of October in time for us to benefit from the tourist season. No one has advised what the actual completion date will be.

gary

To be honest I only asked one person who's brother owns one of the affected beach bars. He only said that now Dec 15 was the opening date. He seemed disappointed but not surprised.

We didn't even make it to Orient Beach this week. I really only inquired for folks here.

We were at Orient on Thursday. Taxi's were dropping off people at Bikini Beach. We walked down to Kon Tiki where we always go. Construction on the new buildings is coming along but there not many workers on site. They need to crank it up since the season has already started.

Edited by jcg4550

Pedro's is the main taxi drop area at Orient.

It was not affected at all by the construction project.

gary

Is that right at the border to the nude side? That is where my first taxi dropped us off, but the last time in 2014 the taxi dropped us off further north where his buddy was waiting with chairs and an umbrella.

Is that right at the border to the nude side? That is where my first taxi dropped us off, but the last time in 2014 the taxi dropped us off further north where his buddy was waiting with chairs and an umbrella.

Yes, Pedro's is at the border before the Club Orient section.

We were at Orient on Thursday. Taxi's were dropping off people at Bikini Beach. We walked down to Kon Tiki where we always go. Construction on the new buildings is coming along but there not many workers on site. They need to crank it up since the season has already started.

Where is Bikini Beach related to Pedros?

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Orient beach last Wednesday, gorgeous day at Kakao. Great chairs and beverages. Chairs with umbrella were $20 and we purchased a bucket of beer which was replenished with ice all day. We arrived early so had great chairs, great views. It was busy there with numerous water sports nearby. Kite surfers were fun to watch and kept away from the swimming area. Huge waves that day. Construction very evident after Kontiki and continued through to Pedro's. Cheers

Found these on the Orient Beach F Bk site showing the old bars and the progress of the new construction. They put up a break wall to keep the seating level and protect from waves. There is still a beach to walk along but I didn't see any completed photos.

Hope the pics com out ok

O2.jpg.bec36929d409b56371f67ab23112364b.jpg

4.jpg.57aef31555290de3e058743476a6683e.jpg

25.jpg.41f0d5fafaafc9f360e1f2124977fda3.jpg

40.jpg.0d37ee09a320ade89a6ec4ba15b112af.jpg

43.jpg.4deda21a3c63dae69633d71f4c023701.jpg

Found these on the Orient Beach F Bk site showing the old bars and the progress of the new construction. They put up a break wall to keep the seating level and protect from waves. There is still a beach to walk along but I didn't see any completed photos.

Hope the pics com out ok

A few more pics of construction

Oh wow. I can not believe this is what Orient looks like now. When we were there several years ago it was so pretty and plenty of wide beach area that was unspoiled. This is so different.

Just back from Orient Beach. Pedro's, at the border between the clothed and nude sections, is open.

Be aware that some taxi's may refuse to drop you off there, citing construction and road problems. The first cab driver we talked to said he would drop us at Bikini Beach for these reasons, but we found a driver who did take us to Pedro's.

Plenty of cabs at Pedro's for the return trip.

Just back from Orient Beach. Pedro's, at the border between the clothed and nude sections, is open.

Be aware that some taxi's may refuse to drop you off there, citing construction and road problems. The first cab driver we talked to said he would drop us at Bikini Beach for these reasons, but we found a driver who did take us to Pedro's.

Plenty of cabs at Pedro's for the return trip.

Maybe the new bars are not paying the taxi bribe yet.

I have heard that they have done this in Grand Case with the restaurants there.