San Pedro by Amtrak

ceilidh1

Hoping some that have done this can weigh in...

We will be arriving on Princess at the World Cruise Centre and want to take Amtrak to San Diego. It looks as if there is a thruway bus from The Catalina Express Terminal (berth 95) to Union Station and then we can connect there for San Diego. The question I have is, can I walk from where I disembark the cruise ship to where I board the bus? If so, approximately how far/easy a walk is it. I will have 2 young kids and luggage!

Thanks in advance!

Hoping some that have done this can weigh in...

We will be arriving on Princess at the World Cruise Centre and want to take Amtrak to San Diego. It looks as if there is a thruway bus from The Catalina Express Terminal (berth 95) to Union Station and then we can connect there for San Diego. The question I have is, can I walk from where I disembark the cruise ship to where I board the bus? If so, approximately how far/easy a walk is it. I will have 2 young kids and luggage!

Thanks in advance!

It looks close from the ship but a taxi would be easier and faster with two little ones. It might be easier to see if there is a closer Amtrak station. Union station is about an hours from the port area.

We did this last month but we went Amtrak north not south. We did a walk off but you will have lots of time if it is the same time the bus comes in at 1:30. We were catching the Catalina Express so needed to be there way earlier. The other stop is the library you will need a cab for that one.

As you walk from ship to outside turn right and follow fence up and around ship. There is a sidewalk and benches as you go toward bus stop in front of Catalina office. We have walking problems but we took our time and used the benches along the way even waving at our friends still on the ship. Prolly pulling suitcases and a couple young ones won't be the most fun you have had but doable.

There is NO Amtrak bus sign, we asked 5 people and no one had a clue but it stops right in front of Catalina office. There is a place to eat outside, tables and umbrellas, room to let the young ones play and kick back till 1:30, might want to be in front a little early and check on your time it may have changed from when we went.

So you can walk it and it seems like there was a small playground near front gate. We walked all the way from the back to the front gate as we had no idea where the bus would stop. I flagged him down as he came in, he had a good laugh and said we could have stayed at the Catalina office.

So at 1:30 leaving time you have time to walk it easy and stop along the way, or really kick back and do a cab ride. :D

Not sure how much the buss connection is but a cab should be $75-100 to get to union station. Is the price difference worth not walking and not killing time and possibly catching an earlier train? Try calling a Yellow Cab or any other cab company and get a fare quote. Check Uber also.

For reference, Uber is $29-$39 from Catalina Express to LA Union Station. Or for $10-$15 more, you can go to the Amtrak station in Santa Ana; it's about an hour down the line from LA Union Station and you will save about 1 hour total trip time from San Pedro to San Diego. I didn't check Lyft prices, probably very similar.

For reference, Uber is $29-$39 from Catalina Express to LA Union Station. Or for $10-$15 more, you can go to the Amtrak station in Santa Ana; it's about an hour down the line from LA Union Station and you will save about 1 hour total trip time from San Pedro to San Diego. I didn't check Lyft prices, probably very similar.

Anaheim would be a better choice, at least it's in the right direction.

Anaheim would be a better choice, at least it's in the right direction.

I got a much higher rate on Ubers site, more than the Taxi. But I have never used it before so could be wrong. I was just going on mileage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with Santa Ana or Anaheim. Takes two hours from there to San Diego. The extra you will have to pay for Uber will be made up by the lower fare on the train. Saves an hour also. If you take the train South, sit on the right side of the train for awesome coastal views.

After much debating, we decided we did not want to travel North by bus up to Union Station, only to travel back South by train down to San Diego. We shuffled things around a little and opted on booking private transport from San Pedro to Carlsbad (we will stay one night at a hotel near Legoland) and then get the train from Carlsbad to San Diego. The price we were quoted for a private van was only slightly less than for a limo, so we booked the limo and will travel in style!:p

After much debating, we decided we did not want to travel North by bus up to Union Station, only to travel back South by train down to San Diego. We shuffled things around a little and opted on booking private transport from San Pedro to Carlsbad (we will stay one night at a hotel near Legoland) and then get the train from Carlsbad to San Diego. The price we were quoted for a private van was only slightly less than for a limo, so we booked the limo and will travel in style!:p

I'm with you, I would book the limo as well.:):)