Station Pier - Melb Airport transfers

I am looking for recommendations for transfer options for 4 adults to and from Tullermarine and Station Pier. Searching the forum it looks like some people use the tram to town the bus to the airport, but with 4 of us with luggage I am thinking a shuttle/hire car service would probably be a better option.

It seems almost every airport transfer website is aimed at the city to the airport and google does not really help with suggestions for cruise terminal to airport transfers other than the Skybus, so I am hoping for some suggestions on what others have used in the past to narrow the list a bit.

cheers CJ

you could get a maxi taxi or station wagon taxi. they are both pretty easy to get in melbourne unlike many other cities.

That was one of the things I was considering, though basing it on my experience in our home town I would still be waiting at midnight for a maxi taxi if a cruise ship had come in and I didn't have a booking. Last thing I wanted to do was to end a holiday with hours waiting on taxis.

If they are more accessible in Melbourne I might do a price comparison between them and the guys listed by icat and see which works out best value.

Our fare from Station Pier to Tullamarine in a sedan March last year was $40 odd dollars...can't remember exactly but did get change out of $50 :) taxi's are available at a little rank inside the pier area there was a man supervising...... and there were maxi's waiting... did a quick fare estimation for maxi.... fare around $70.00 at todays rate.. book ahead if worried......

The tram stop is right at station pier. Take the 109 to southern cross station and follow the signs to the airport transfer bus which leaves from under the dfo next to the station near the corner of Bourke st.

It's all sign posted at the station with airport buses going every 10 minutes.

The tram stop is right at station pier. Take the 109 to southern cross station and follow the signs to the airport transfer bus which leaves from under the dfo next to the station near the corner of Bourke st.

Don't forget though that you cannot use cash for any public transport; you need a myki card which if you are not from Melbourne or don't visit often you probably won't have.

The taxi rank on the pier as mentioned up thread worked well for us when we were on Arcadia, though not everyone was disembarking so I expect longer queues this time.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Plus with 4 adults it would almost certainly (exceptions being heavy traffic) be a better price by taxi, plus there's the convenience aspect of it.

Lots of maxi taxis in Melbourne even out in the suburbs. At a cruise ship's arrival I am sure they will ensure plenty are there just like arrival in sydney OPT. Unless you have heaps of luggage you would fit in a station wagon no worries. Sedans can be a bit more tricky as they often have LPG tanks taking up room in the boot (trunk for you Americans)