Sun Class mini-suites; accessible vs. standard ?

Tedson

Does anybody know the differences(layout/design) between the standard AC mini-suite and an accessible one? Thanks.

Ted

November 2004-Sapphire Princess?

May 2004-Sun Princess

March 2004-Brilliance OTS

October 2003-Mercury

April 2003-Grandeur OTS

September 2002-Grand Princess

May 2002-Star Princess

Work is just something I do between Cruises....

Normally a handicapped accesible cabin also has large roll in shower only. I thought they had a few cabins on the Grand Class that were mini suite accessible but I also did not know there were any on the Sun Class ships.

smilie_hund1.gif

Tahitian October 14th,2004

The doors are larger to. The closets are also more for disabled. Ramps are used throughout the room and more floor space (to park scooter inside) if balcony there is a ramp there too. The room is almost twice al large. I book a year in advance to get my room.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal

I know on the Grand Class ships an accessible balcony (Cat B) is larger than a standard balcony cabin. Looking at the diagram of a Sun Class ship, the accessible mini-suite does not appear to be any bigger, I suppose because these cabins are so large anyway.

Thanks for the responses. icon_smile.gif

Ted

November 2004-Sapphire Princess?

May 2004-Sun Princess

March 2004-Brilliance OTS

October 2003-Mercury

April 2003-Grandeur OTS

September 2002-Grand Princess

May 2002-Star Princess

Work is just something I do between Cruises....

Tedson --If you need an accessible cabin due to a disability, book it. If you are not disabled and do not need the accessibility features of the cabin, please do not book it. There are very few of these cabins on each ship and they really need to be reserved for those who need them. As Capt Data says, she needs one of these cabins and has to book it a year in advance to make sure she gets it. There really needs to be more cabins that are accessible for those who are disabled.

On our first Grand Cruise we were booked in an accessible cabin.My sister and I don't have disabilities...(I teach special needs) so I called Princess and said "We're booked in the wrong cabin. We don't need an accessible cabin". They said it was fine there were plenty open.I said feel free to move us if a passenger needs it.

I couldn't believe Princess would give away an accessible cabin months in advance! We had a catagory guarantee. I hope passengers who need accessable cabins aren't denied them because Princess is giving them away to nondisabled passengers. I checked back a couple of times and told them to move us if there was a need but we ended up in it anyway. This was an outside balcony and was the size of a mini suite but without the couch and table.The shower had curtains with shower chair and hand held shower wand. There were grab bars by the toilet. I deal with empty wheelchairs in my class and there was plenty of room to park a couple of empty chairs inside the cabin and the balcony door could accomidate a chair as well.The doors looked very wide. I don't know if a mini suite would be bigger or if they would just toss in the couch and give you less room.

Cindy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;08;14;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruisin with Sis,Clark,& Lana Inside Passage Regal

Cindersue - Unfortunately, if a regular person books an accessible cabin-- if someone who has a disability needs that cabin, it shows full and unless there is another cabin, they may not be able to sail. Or, they may have to book a category they don't want--they may want a balcony but it will show full so they will have to take an inside cabin. Please don't book these cabins. There are so few of these on the ship and we often can't sail the week we want because all the cabins are taken.

Casey12, while I agree that people should not book/request a disabled cabin unless they actually are disabled, it seems that Cindersue is not at fault here because she did not request a disabled cabin and did all she could do to try to get Princess to save the cabin for a disabled person. The fault is Princess' for putting a guarantee category group of passengers in it, apparently months in advance. (I understand why they would do this close to sailing date if a disabled person needed the cabin.)

We have a similar problem with needing a wheelchair accessible cabin and have had difficulty booking the category/sailing we want, especially when Princess releases promos to past passengers.

The last time we sailed on a Panama Canal cruise, we wanted to be able to take advantage of a balcony promo that Princess was offering, but no accessible balcony cabins were available for any of the sailings Princess was doing to the Panama Canal on this ship. Yet, there were standard balcony cabins available on each of the sailings After much pleading and begging and telling them we would take any sailing date available, we found a sympathetic customer service agent who called the passengers booked in one of these accessible cabins (and this was months in advance of the sailing) and, by offering a stateroom upgrade, got them to release the cabin. These people didn't need the accessible cabin, but just wanted the "extra space".

S

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Montgomeryfamily!

Casey 12 it seems like there was a misunderstanding...

I DIDN'T Book the accessible cabin.Princess booked Me into it... I tried to give it back and told them to please move us if anyone needed it.I wouldn't book a accessible cabin unless I was travelling with a person who needs it.In fact, I was uncomfortable being there even though Princess assured us No one needed the cabin.

I can't believe Princess would let people without any need of an accessible cabin book one! If a non disabled person wants "Extra space" let them Book a mini suite!!! icon_mad.gif

I work with and have many friends with disabilities. My first roomate/friend used a chair. I was her attendant and we vacationed together.I know how tough it can be to travel for people who use chairs!(The airline "LOST" my friend's Chair and bedpan for 3 days!!! icon_eek.gificon_mad.gif)It was a challenge but we had a great time anyway!

(I never park in the blues spaces either icon_smile.gif )Cindy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;08;14;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruisin with Sis,Clark,& Lana Inside Passage Regal

[This message was edited by cindersue on 05-05-04 at 09:02 PM.]

The Sun class mini-suites (disabled) are great, but there are only a couple on each ship so they should be maintained and reserved for those in need only.

The stern disabled cabins on Celeb's Millienium class are great (or better on account of extraordinary sized verandas); I assume the disabled suites aboard w/narrower verandas port-starboard are also. Those stern cabin verandahs can handle a Hoyer lift onto a veranda that holds 4 loungers and a FULL size table w/chairs! icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

There are more similar even better cabins available on the stern for the able-bodied.

Archived