Mazatlan, Stone Island

ceba

Do you know how to get there? Do you where you would like to eat?

Kind of and no!!

I know it's a fairly short walk from the cruise port and figured we could ask outside the gate. I know very little about the restaurants. We're not interested in a crowded tourist place. Is there such a place? We'll be there the first part of December. Any info you have to share would be appreciated!

I can help you. To get to Stone Island, exit the port area to the street. Go left. Walk to the end. About 10 minute walk. Once their you will see the water taxi area. Buy your ticket, 2bucks I think. The taxi will take you across to Stone Island. Once there a guy with a vehicle will take you where you want to go. Once again, a few bucks. We always go to Victors. It is never crowded. Loungers, food and drink are available. Don't let the looks of this place fool you. It has amazing food. We orders the mixed seafood platter. It has 3 different kinds of shrimp and The most delicious wood grilled mahi mahi I have ever tasted. It comes with all the trimmings and will easily feed two. If you would like to go horseback riding, Maria will be there with her horses. The horses are gentle and well cared for. Just go up to her and tell her how long you would like to go for and she will hook you up. It is very reasonably priced and lots of fun. When you are ready to go back to the ship, ask Maria or Victor to call the transport guy to take you back to the dock. The ticket you purchased is good for round trip so make sure you save it. Hope this helps. Any questions just ask

Victor's use to be our go to spot, really good food, and the platter mentioned above also has a few bbq ribs on it. Hadn't been there for a few years but was there last February. We usually just walk down the beach and when we got to Victor's we were shocked. Looked very rundown and no customers at lunchtime (not a good sign). We went next door to Lety's (have always read good reviews) and I was a convert. Coconut shrimp were huge and fantastic.

Maybe we caught Victor's on a bad day, I dunno.

You'll pass all the cattle pens (where the excursions are herded to) about half way down the beach. Lety's/Victors are at the far end, about a 10 minute beach walk from the water taxi.

When you get back to the water taxi dock on SI there usually is not a boat there. Just stand there, they will see you and send a boat over.

As a side note, before we went to SI we walked the blue line into town. It starts right outside the terminal gate (the blue shirts will explain it to you on the tram from the boat to the terminal bldg). The line takes you to the town square, the Cathedral is about two blocks from there, and the Mercado another two blocks. A great "locals" experience. We grabbed a pulmonia at the Mercado and paid $6 for a ride back to the water taxi. (you want the water taxi nearest the terminal, there is another one about a mile further inland.)

Wow, thanks! Really good information. We thought we'd take the ships tour into town (I hate ships tours. Usually on our own) but maybe we'll take the suggestion and take the blue line into town. I read somewhere that if we caught

a pulmonia outside the gate at the pier the driver would give us a little tour of town. Is that something either if you would recommend?

Edited by ceba

If you've never been to Mazatlan, absolutely do this. Pulmonias will be lined up at the gate and they run about $20 an hour. Always settle on a price BEFORE you get in, and ask a few questions to "test his English", unless you speak Spanish. Take a two hour city tour then get dropped off at the water taxi terminal.

He'll probably take you up to the top of the mountain right above the cruise terminal, drive thru old town and the shrimp market, run up to the north part of town thru the golden zone, then stop by the "cliff" divers, I think that's the typical itinerary.

Pulmonias are a lot of fun, just hang on. If you want, have him stop at a OXXO store (think 7-11) and you can grab a few beverages for your tour (and grab a soda pop for your driver!).

Thank you! I plan on doing that then. Sounds like good fun.

If you get to the Mercado anytime close to lunch time, go up to the second floor where the restaurants are located and look for the crew members from your ship. Many of them go there to have a group lunch and they buy the shrimp and veggies there. The one restaurant lets them do their own cooking for a small price.

If you haven't seen an authentic Mexican Mercado, the one in Mazatlan is as close as you will ever see.

Re- Stone Island - The last few times I have been there, Victor's didn't have any business. Lety's has been pretty busy and the food is very good. Lety passed away about six years ago and Phillipe (her son) is keeping up the same quality and service she provided for several years. I don't know why Victor's has deteriorated.

The water at Stone Island is shallow for a long ways out, and it is a great place if you have kids. Very safe compared to some of the other beaches.

Edited by swedish weave

If you get to the Mercado anytime close to lunch time, go up to the second floor where the restaurants are located and look for the crew members from your ship. Many of them go there to have a group lunch and they buy the shrimp and veggies there. The one restaurant lets them do their own cooking for a small price.

If you haven't seen an authentic Mexican Mercado, the one in Mazatlan is as close as you will ever see.

Re- Stone Island - The last few times I have been there, Victor's didn't have any business. Lety's has been pretty busy and the food is very good. Lety passed away about six years ago and Phillipe (her son) is keeping up the same quality and service she provided for several years. I don't know why Victor's has deteriorated.

The water at Stone Island is shallow for a long ways out, and it is a great place if you have kids. Very safe compared to some of the other beaches.

Thank you! The Mercado sounds fun. We lived in San Antonio for several years about 7 yrs ago. The Mercado was a favorite of ours. It would fun to see another one in action.

Edited by ceba

The blue line takes you to the plaza. From there it is a couple of blocks to the Cathedral, and then another few blocks to the Mercado. It's an easy 15 minute walk. Google Mazatlan blue line.

From the terminal to the plaza it's fairly quiet. From the plaza to the Mercado is very lively. Lots of people, shops, etc. Fun atmosphere.

you tube Mazatlan Mercado but be careful. You'll see vids of lots of taco stands and then you'll be hungry for tacos.