Single supplement?

appletinine

I have paid for a cruise my cousin and myself. What happens if she bails on me at the last minute? I understand the refund of the taxes and gratuities, etc. but being charge a single supplement? In addition to the double occupancy I have paid?

She will have already paid her share of the cruise fare and that will not be refunded to her thus paying so you don't have to pay extra. If she cancels early enough to get cruise fare refunded, you indeed will pick up the additional cost.

If you cancel her, she will lose her fare AND you will be charged for single occupancy thus getting penalized twice. She should just no show. Hope this makes sense.

I thought I pretty much knew how these fares work but this even confuses me...if a double occupancy fare has already been paid--regardless of who paid it--then why would Carnival charge an additional "fee" over and above that double occupancy fare whether the 2nd person shows up or not or even if they officially "cancel?" I am confused... the only thing I can think of is that Carnival would "lose" the opportunity to make extra profit from that 2nd passenger's potential purchases of photos, booze, gambling and such...but there is no guarantee they would have gotten that extra revenue; for example, I drink one or two alcoholic beverages at most, occasionally purchase a photo or two and gamble minimally :confused:

I thought I pretty much knew how these fares work but this even confuses me...if a double occupancy fare has already been paid--regardless of who paid it--then why would Carnival charge an additional "fee" over and above that double occupancy fare whether the 2nd person shows up or not or even if they officially "cancel?" I am confused... the only thing I can think of is that Carnival would "lose" the opportunity to make extra profit from that 2nd passenger's potential purchases of photos, booze, gambling and such...but there is no guarantee they would have gotten that extra revenue; for example, I drink one or two alcoholic beverages at most, occasionally purchase a photo or two and gamble minimally :confused:

My answer above is correct. The other response read the OP same as I first did. "She" being your friend didn't pay for anything. You did and therefore will not be charged more. I always sail solo and always pay double occupancy (single supplement) but one port fees,taxes and gratuities.

Why would a cruise line do this? Because they can and it garners them additional revenue. Reasonable does not enter into it.

OP should read their cruise contract carefully. Presuming a company will do something against its immediate pecuniary interests just because it is logical or ethical is rarely a good idea.

Not true!!!!!!!!!!

It IS true!!!! We had this same situation on one of our previous cruises. We had 2 rooms booked. 1 DS could not go. I had him no show because we were already in penalty phase. Had I straight up cancelled him, I would have been in the room as a solo and would have had to pay double on top of forfeiting his fare as well. Why do you think so many people do it this way?

Insurance covers these types of things, however, we didn't have a cancel for any reason policy and just had to suck it up. He wasn't sick, just couldn't miss the few days of school.

They refunded his port fees and prepaid gratuities to the credit card we paid with before we even got home so, yes, you will get that portion back.

Bottom line - if she bails, she should just be a no show. Don't cancel her or you will end up paying more (and it doesn't matter who paid for it as far as Carnival is concerned). Any doubters just call Carnival and ask. Of course, don't be surprised if you get a different answer with each call. The "Penalty Phase' is exactly that - a penalty. Meaning it doesn't get applied to anything else but Carnival's bank account. It doesn't go towards the solo supplement, or double occupancy, or whatever you want to call it because there are no longer 2 people in the room - one is canceled. It is a straight up penalty - forfeited - surrendered, you get the point.

Edited by firemanbobswife

It IS true!!!! We had this same situation on one of our previous cruises. We had 2 rooms booked. 1 DS could not go. I had him no show because we were already in penalty phase. Had I straight up cancelled him, I would have been in the room as a solo and would have had to pay double on top of forfeiting his fare as well. Why do you think so many people do it this way?

Insurance covers these types of things, however, we didn't have a cancel for any reason policy and just had to suck it up. He wasn't sick, just couldn't miss the few days of school.

They refunded his port fees and prepaid gratuities to the credit card we paid with before we even got home so, yes, you will get that portion back.

Bottom line - if she bails, she should just be a no show. Don't cancel her or you will end up paying more (and it doesn't matter who paid for it as far as Carnival is concerned). Any doubters just call Carnival and ask. Of course, don't be surprised if you get a different answer with each call. The "Penalty Phase' is exactly that - a penalty. Meaning it doesn't get applied to anything else but Carnival's bank account. It doesn't go towards the solo supplement, or double occupancy, or whatever you want to call it because there are no longer 2 people in the room - one is canceled. It is a straight up penalty - forfeited - surrendered, you get the point.

This is correct.

If the person officially cancels, the person found is then a solo in the room and will be charged the solo supplement.

If the person no shows, the person still going is still solo, but is still considered in a double paid up room, therefore, no additional fees and the port stuff will be refunded to the form of payment that was used to pay for the fare.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk