Drink Packages - Are they worth it?

CruiseNerd1000

Mackenzie,

Interesting point you made on #3. I was under the impression from others that you had to sign for all drinks but they 'zeroed out' the charges on the receipt.

Princess is rolling out a new system where AIBP passengers no longer have to sign for each drink except in the main dining rooms. I don't know if that's the practice now on all Princess ships, but that's how it works on the Caribbean Princess.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Princess is rolling out a new system where AIBP passengers no longer have to sign for each drink except in the main dining rooms. I don't know if that's the practice now on all Princess ships, but that's how it works on the Caribbean Princess.

Same on the Crown in September.

Besides water and coffee drinks you can also enjoy some tea infused drinks and some energy drinks that are quite good. I love how easy it is when you have the card to try or get whatever you want. I figured I had 14 drinks one day and only 4 were alcohol-involved.

We love the package! First time we did it, we spent time after cruise to see if it worked out to our advantage. Turns out it did! I find it super luxurious to order fresh squeezed oj, sparkling water numerous times a day, good espresso drinks anytime, in addition to a few alcoholic beverages ( fancy cocktail during the day, beer at lunch, martini before dinner and wine with dinner) it just adds to the vacation mentality for me. At home, we may have an occasional sparkling water or wine at dinner, so to be able to have whatever anytime is pretty awesome!

I've been tempted to get the AIDP and I think we'd get our monies worth....but the thing that's stopped me is a couple times on cruises I've had trouble getting my 'sea legs' and didn't feel that great. My fear is I'd spend all that money on the package, then not feel up to using it:(

I've been tempted to get the AIDP and I think we'd get our monies worth....but the thing that's stopped me is a couple times on cruises I've had trouble getting my 'sea legs' and didn't feel that great. My fear is I'd spend all that money on the package, then not feel up to using it:(

They do let you signup the first 2 days, so you can decide later

As for me port days are the deal breaker [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

That sounds wonderful! I'll bet that, if you are lounging around in an area for a bit, the waiters get to know you and don't even bother asking you to show them your card! That is a nice feeling. They used to do this for the UKP cards we usually get.

I am laughing myself silly about how I was really 'on the fence' re the AIBP, and now I can't wait to buy it!

Is the package usable on Princess Cays or do you have to buy on the Island

Yes, a huge benefit of this package.

They could retro charge for all days and then simply credit back any drink charges on your folio. IDK if that is the practice.

That's a good question. Because I know they won't sell it for only six, five or four days. If you buy it, you buy the entire package. Now, if they go back and give you credit for the purchase you made before you bought the package. That question/answer I am also interested in knowing.

Yes, a huge benefit of this package.

That's a good question. Because I know they won't sell it for only six, five or four days. If you buy it, you buy the entire package. Now, if they go back and give you credit for the purchase you made before you bought the package. That question/answer I am also interested in knowing.

When I was on the Ruby in September someone wanted to buy the package on the second day. She was told that she'd be charged for the first day and there would be no credit for the drinks she bought the first day which was a dealbreaker for her. If you're going to get the package I would get it first thing when you get on board.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

When I was on the Ruby in September someone wanted to buy the package on the second day. She was told that she'd be charged for the first day and there would be no credit for the drinks she bought the first day which was a dealbreaker for her. If you're going to get the package I would get it first thing when you get on board.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That's what I thought I had heard. It's really an odd policy, encouraging people perhaps not to buy packages. On some other lines, they do prorate-- great if your cruise is more port-heavy early on or if you're concerned about sea sickness.

That sounds wonderful! I'll bet that, if you are lounging around in an area for a bit, the waiters get to know you and don't even bother asking you to show them your card! That is a nice feeling. They used to do this for the UKP cards we usually get.

I am laughing myself silly about how I was really 'on the fence' re the AIBP, and now I can't wait to buy it!

Princess still swipes the cards for each beverage, but we don't have to sign for them anymore, except for in the main dining room. Princess needs to swipe the card for each purchase so that they can account for inventory usage. The charges will not show up on your bill, though, because they zero out. However, you will still need to monitor your account closely because on two recent cruises on the Caribbean Princess the Palm dining room made erroneous charges to my account when the computer should have zeroed them out because I was on the AIBP. Overall, though, not having to sign for each purchase is much easier.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Princess still swipes the cards for each beverage, but we don't have to sign for them anymore, except for in the main dining room. Princess needs to swipe the card for each purchase so that they can account for inventory usage. The charges will not show up on your bill, though, because they zero out. However, you will still need to monitor your account closely because on two recent cruises on the Caribbean Princess the Palm dining room made erroneous charges to my account when the computer should have zeroed them out because I was on the AIBP. Overall, though, not having to sign for each purchase is much easier.

I guess it's been a while for me. I wasn't aware that they had to swipe cards. From my recollection, if you just ordered a drink from them minutes ago, they could simply recall your Folio number (the last 4 digits?) and write it on their order pads. Do the waiters now walk around with machines to swipe cards? If not, does that mean that we have to hand them our cards whenever we want a drink? Not a big deal to me, I just recall that, for UKP cards, they would simply remember us and give us the drink without having to show the card again.

I guess it's been a while for me. I wasn't aware that they had to swipe cards. From my recollection, if you just ordered a drink from them minutes ago, they could simply recall your Folio number (the last 4 digits?) and write it on their order pads. Do the waiters now walk around with machines to swipe cards? If not, does that mean that we have to hand them our cards whenever we want a drink? Not a big deal to me, I just recall that, for UKP cards, they would simply remember us and give us the drink without having to show the card again.

It varied from place to place. International cafe usually swiped the card, but not always. Vines did not after they learned our numbers. Crooners didn't but usually they swiped the cards did by the Neptune pool.

The bar staff does not walk around with machines to swipe the cruise cards. Instead, they take the cruise cards to the bar to swipe, and then return it to you. Once the bar staff know your four digit folio number, however, they can just make a note of it to record the purchase, and you don't have to present your cruise card each time. With so many passengers to deal with, though, not all bar staff will easily remember your folio number unless they come to know you during the cruise. For example, the bar staff in the Princess theater may not be in a position to easily remember your folio number, whereas, if you go to Vines frequently and the bar staff gets to know you, merely recording your folio number without presenting your cruise card works fine.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Don't forget that bottled water is, for the most part, tap or reservoir water. Aquafina recently came out and admitted that their bottled water is tap water.

Aquafina is the only bottled water we buy, when we buy it, as we feel it tastes just like tap water, which it turns out is true. I have always maintained that there is nothing wrong with most public water systems.

Paul

Aquafina is the only bottled water we buy, when we buy it, as we feel it tastes just like tap water, which it turns out is true. I have always maintained that there is nothing wrong with most public water systems.

Paul

It was actually in 2007 when Aquafina admitted they use public water sources. I think people are restarting this old news on the Internet now.

I just checked a bottle of Aquafina I recently bought and it clearly says on the label "Aquafina bottled water is a pure tasting water that orginates from public water sources...".

Paul

Hello-we just got back from 22night Panama cruise from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale & purchased the unlimited soda & more package prior to leaving New Zealand.We keep an account of what we drank & worked out we drank 4x the amount we paid.I especially enjoyed the mocktails,the no jito was very refreshing & the tropical blend were two of my favorites.We also found it very useful at dinner & entertainment times.

Hello-we just got back from 22night Panama cruise from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale & purchased the unlimited soda & more package prior to leaving New Zealand.We keep an account of what we drank & worked out we drank 4x the amount we paid.I especially enjoyed the mocktails,the no jito was very refreshing & the tropical blend were two of my favorites.We also found it very useful at dinner & entertainment times.

I find I get MORE than enough use out of the non-alcoholic packages (even on Royal Caribbean where they are $22 per day). It's the alcoholic ones that I feel only make sense if I'm not off the ship a lot.