Drink Packages - Are they worth it?

CruiseNerd1000

My husband is a light drinker. Can he purchase the soda and more package and I get the alcohol package or do we both have to get the all inclusive alcohol beverage package?

Not a problem at all. There has not been a requirement for all parties to buy the same package (or even a package) for over a year, or longer. Hubby can buy the soda and more package and you the all-inclusive beverage package, no probs. However, you cannot get him alcoholic beverages with your package, except for bottles of wine at dinner. Each package is per person, no sharing.. He or you can take both cards to the bar and get a drink each under each package rules...

Enjoy your sailing...

This has not been a requirement for a long time, more than a year at least...

Good to know...the downside to reading posts that may be older and out of date . In our case we are fine because we BOTH will enjoy the benefits of the package.

Does anyone know if you purchased a beverage package (alcohol) if you can get drinks with it while in embarkation port? Someone said to me that you can only start using it once in International waters which would be 9:00 pm in my case. Out of Houston.

ooooh good question. I thought it was as soon as we got on the ship, but that may be an assumption on my part.

Many good answers here so appreciate that I got the info I needed without even having to ask. We are strongly considering getting the beverage package, at least for one of us and so very good to know that the one buying the package can also purchase a bottle of wine and share with those that don't have a package. Not trying to get away with anything but we are going in a small group, many of which would only have a half a glass of wine with dinner and a couple that wouldn't even have that.

Anyhow, back to the original question....

I am not sure of the OP's situation, whereas many it they don't like the tap water or maybe they don't want to lug a case of water with them. But, if it is water that you want -- I found this on the Princess website and you can order online this ahead of time -- so for just under $14, you can order a case of water that will be in your room when or shortly after you arrive. Just one more option to consider that won't break the bank.

Bottled Water Package

Stay hydrated and refreshed throughout your cruise with 12 (500 ml) bottles of water conveniently delivered to your stateroom. Price includes service charge.

For pre-cruise purchase ONLY through Gift Guide or Cruise Personalizer Item #0526 $6.90

for 12 (500 ml) bottles

I'm out of Houston.

Hi Larry, on my Emerald cruise in Feb 2015 I was able to use the package right after boarding.

I believe there are certain state taxes on some beer sold? Sometimes they will not process the drink tickets until that evening when they are a certain distance from the port.

There are some Texans here that can explain better then me. :o

The bar staff does not walk around with machines to swipe the cruise cards. Instead, they take the cruise cards to the bar to swipe, and then return it to you. Once the bar staff know your four digit folio number, however, they can just make a note of it to record the purchase, and you don't have to present your cruise card each time. With so many passengers to deal with, though, not all bar staff will easily remember your folio number unless they come to know you during the cruise. For example, the bar staff in the Princess theater may not be in a position to easily remember your folio number, whereas, if you go to Vines frequently and the bar staff gets to know you, merely recording your folio number without presenting your cruise card works fine.

Our experience: 95% of the time, the waitstaff simply look at your card, write down the number, and return with your drink. (Of course, on the Ocean Princess, they remember you and your number.... and your name..- so few passengers...)

I have searched but can fin the answer.....first time on Princess. On Celebrity we pre-paid for bev package and our card had this on it when we checked in vs having to get a sticker attached on the ship if you purchased on board. How does Princess do this?

I have searched but can fin the answer.....first time on Princess. On Celebrity we pre-paid for bev package and our card had this on it when we checked in vs having to get a sticker attached on the ship if you purchased on board. How does Princess do this?

Sticker on the card at check in if you pre purchase in advance,

put on the card onboard if purchased onboard.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Hi Larry, on my Emerald cruise in Feb 2015 I was able to use the package right after boarding.

I believe there are certain state taxes on some beer sold? Sometimes they will not process the drink tickets until that evening when they are a certain distance from the port.

There are some Texans here that can explain better then me. :o

The problem in Texas ports is that the availability of liquor is limited - only certain brands and only at a few bars. According to Texas law, all liquor served in Texas must be purchased from a Texas distributor. Princess purchases some liquor from a Texas distributor but it is a limited selection. They will probably only have a few bars open until leaving Texas waters.

The problem in Texas ports is that the availability of liquor is limited - only certain brands and only at a few bars. According to Texas law, all liquor served in Texas must be purchased from a Texas distributor. Princess purchases some liquor from a Texas distributor but it is a limited selection. They will probably only have a few bars open until leaving Texas waters.

I realize that so in post #85 I was responding to that poster who is departing from Port Everglades. ;)

If you advance order a 375 ml bottle of alcohol for your cabin I understand you are given a voucher to exchange for the bottle. Can that exchange be done before leaving Texas waters? Thank you in advance for any assistance.