Poa - luau

arderriland

No luau on the ship. Is it worth it? If it interests you, then sure, it's worth it! The performers are quite good..the food....roasted pig and sides....some are better than others, but you go for the entertainment and not so much the food.

If you're not into that sort of thing, then it's not worth the money. However, many feel that a trip to Hawaii isn't complete without a luau....

• 1 month later...

I am not a fan of commercial luaus, but it is something everyone should do at least once.

If you have base privileges (retired military, DoD, etc) go to the Hale Koa Luau on Oahu, if not go to the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui (assuming the ship is stopping at Lahaina on Maui).

If you are on the POA you will overnight in Kahului. Rent a car that first day and do some sightseeing and beaching.

End up in Lahaina in the late afternoon and either do the Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele. Then drive back to the ship in Kahului.

Without a car, the logistics will be more difficult unless the ship has a late running shuttle.

The PCC is the worst excuse for a Luau there is.

Absolutely look up the Old Lahaina Luau. It's AMAZING and will be the highlight of your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PCC, the Polynesian Cultural Center, has the best, most authentic show in all of Hawaii. Many of the performers are from the cultures they represent. They come from all over the South Pacific to go to school at Laie. The food isn't the best, but the show is.

The only reason I would not go to the PCC on a cruise is it is on the opposite side of Oahu from the cruise port whereas OLL is in Lahaina where most of the ships stop.

PCC, the Polynesian Cultural Center, has the best, most authentic show in all of Hawaii. Many of the performers are from the cultures they represent. They come from all over the South Pacific to go to school at Laie. The food isn't the best, but the show is.

The only reason I would not go to the PCC on a cruise is it is on the opposite side of Oahu from the cruise port whereas OLL is in Lahaina where most of the ships stop.

HaHa

No caffeinated drinks at PCC. :eek: :p :D

We stayed an extra day on Oahu and went to paradise cove after we left the ship. It's the only one I've been to, so I can't compare it to others. We were entertained though. I posted some pictures from it on the last page of my review. (Link is in my signature.). We chose this luau because of the kid friendly activities they offer.

We were there in early May and took the ship-offered shore excursion on Kauai to the Kilohana Manor House and Kalamaku Show. You can google these and get an appreciation of what is offered. The train tour around the plantation was delightful, the Manor House had gifts for sale plus vendors were set up on the lawn with arts/crafts of interest. We ate outside at the restaurant then attended the luau. It was an amazing display of music and dance telling their story. I was so pleased with the entire evening. It was well worth the cost since we had never done anything like that before.

My, how progressive of them. :p

LoL, exactly.

Don't get me wrong, the PCC is a fun time, even if they don't serve alcohol. It is not an authentic Hawaiian luau though. Polynesian, yes. Hawaiian, no.

Old Lahaina luau is a much better experience in my opinion. The location is *flawless*. There is nothing like watching the sun go down over the ocean while enjoying the luau and drinking your favorite fruity adult beverage!

OLL should not be missed.

LoL, exactly.

Don't get me wrong, the PCC is a fun time, even if they don't serve alcohol. It is not an authentic Hawaiian luau though. Polynesian, yes. Hawaiian, no.

Mmmmm, yes, those Tahitian dances, the dances in the bright orange grass skirts and the Fijian song are very authentically Hawaiian.....

If you think OLL or any commercial luau in Hawaii is "authentic" you have no idea what an authentic luau looks like.

Mmmmm, yes, those Tahitian dances, the dances in the bright orange grass skirts and the Fijian song are very authentically Hawaiian.....

If you think OLL or any commercial luau in Hawaii is "authentic" you have no idea what an authentic luau looks like.

Pretty sure I didn't say it was, but thanks for your valuable feedback!

We'd be interested to know your ideas on what an authentic luau does look like.

An authentic luau is what churches, communities and families do in Hawaii. The commercial luaus are pale imitations of what a luau is.

Unfortunately or fortunately, commercial luaus are in business to fill a need. They feel they are giving tourists what they expect from Hawaii. Obviously many people like it - or at least think they must attend so they can say they have been there and done that - because the luaus command big bucks. Gatherings arranged by churches, communities and families tend to be rather laid back in comparison, and perhaps would disappoint many who are seeking very active entertainment. To each his/her own. Just enjoy Hawaii whatever one does.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhh....this topic always gets people stirred up. Bring out the poi (instead of popcorn).

I agree with previous posters that the commercial luaus you'll find are more Polynesian than Hawaiian (they make this very clear as they introduce various acts featuring traditions from Fiji, Somoa, New Zealand, Hawaii, etc). They can be overacted, corny, the food mediocre, and you may sit in fear until the audience members who are lucky (unlucky) enough are called on stage, put in a grass skirt and coconut bra, and made to dance the hula.

My parents loved Germaine's Luau on Oahu. Too crowded for me, but it was amusing and the food was 3/5 stars. They do a great job for feeding a big crowd. It helped to have a few Mai Tais before boarding the coach from Waikiki to the luau grounds.

My personal favorite, which I've actually taken business colleagues to, is the Royal Hawaiian hotel luau. It's on Monday nights, but it's ocean/beach front at Waikiki. The dinner is an elegant plated affair, rather than buffet (4/5 stars). The bar is fantastic. The show is very well narrated and weaves a historic theme from past to present. It's mostly Hawaiian. It's expensive, but I think it's a good value. And the young dancers are mostly local kids who are very serious about representing their culture and traditions, and their heart is in the production.

Here in Kona most of my friends think the current luau they are least resistant to being dragged to by out of town friends is the one at the Royal Kona Resort. I've listened from the hotels tiki bar, and it sounds pretty good, but I haven't been to it or had the food. Meh, it is what it is... If you've never been to one, go check it out.

Helpful hints... (1) happy hour before is a must. The drinks at the luau won't be cheap, and the show will be better after a couple of Mai Tais. (2) don't fall prey to upgrades for premium seats. You'll have a good view, regardless. (3) shorts and an Aloha shirt are always appropriate attire. (4) bring your own lei. The one they put on you for the photo (available for a fee) is usually a loaner, and has the sweat of everybody in front of you on it. (5) luau MC's can smell fear when it comes to pulling "volunteers" from the audience. See tip #1.

Ahhh....this topic always gets people stirred up. Bring out the poi (instead of popcorn).

I agree with previous posters that the commercial luaus you'll find are more Polynesian than Hawaiian (they make this very clear as they introduce various acts featuring traditions from Fiji, Somoa, New Zealand, Hawaii, etc). They can be overacted, corny, the food mediocre, and you may sit in fear until the audience members who are lucky (unlucky) enough are called on stage, put in a grass skirt and coconut bra, and made to dance the hula.

My personal favorite, which I've actually taken business colleagues to, is the Royal Hawaiian hotel luau. It's on Monday nights, but it's ocean/beach front at Waikiki. The dinner is an elegant plated affair, rather than buffet (4/5 stars). The bar is fantastic. The show is very well narrated and weaves a historic theme from past to present. It's mostly Hawaiian. It's expensive, but I think it's a good value. And the young dancers are mostly local kids who are very serious about representing their culture and traditions, and their heart is in the production.

Here is my review from TripAdvisor from 2012 of the Royal Hawaiian "Luau".

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60982-d1093588-r129383401-Aha_Aina_a_Royal_Celebration_at_The_Royal_Hawaiian-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

When the show first opened (coinciding with the reopening of the Royal Hawaiian that had been closed for a while for rehab) they called it "Aha A'ina, a Royal Celebration", purposely avoiding the "L" word because they wanted to separate themselves from the schlocky reputation of luaus.

Now they do have the word "luau" prominent in the promotion of the show because maybe people who wanted a luau were bypassing the very expensive ($177 per person) "Royal Celebration".

It does look too as if the menu and means of eating have changed since my review. Here is the new menu.

http://royal-hawaiianluau.com/PDF/Menu.pdf

So..... will I go back? I MIGHT to try the new format to see if it addressed my previous objections, but at $350 a couple I am still inclined to hit Alan Wong's, Vintage Cave, La Mer, etc before going back.

The show at the Princess Kai'ulani is back (Te Moana Nui Polynesian Luau Dinner Show) and at $105 for dinner and $60 for the cocktail show, might be a nice alternative to the luaus.

Edited by scottca075