FIRST TIME EVER Balcony - questions, and any advice please?

CandyCruiser1106

Never booked balcony due to cost, but after making a phone call to the Carnival “Upsell Fairy” I got a great deal. So from interior cabin, we now have a balcony cabin on the 9th Deck Vista, mid-ship, portside. I’m soooo excited for my – not only VERY FIRST EVER balcony, also first time on the Dream.

Not sure how big the balcony is, are there lounge chairs, or just regular chairs? Is there enough privacy where your next door neighbors will not hear conversations (not that I’m going to plot any criminal activities)? Also, I am a non-smoker, and I understand that smoking is not allowed, is it enforced? What are things I should be aware of? Any tips, advice, anything special I should bring/pack, or any comments that you could share? Thanks so much in advance.

Yes, your neighbors will be able to hear you. Use a library voice it'll be harder for them to do so.

Carnival balcony doors are regular doors, not sliders. The doors are very heavy and have strong springs for closing. The doors bang shut, they're not being slammed (that entails anger) and it can be difficult for many to hold against the strength of the door so it doesn't make a sound. (I'm at a five star resort and I just heard my neighbor just shut his door.) The noise is no big deal if you live in an apartment or condo. Big issue if you have no neighbors nearby.

Never booked balcony due to cost, but after making a phone call to the Carnival “Upsell Fairy” I got a great deal. So from interior cabin, we now have a balcony cabin on the 9th Deck Vista, mid-ship, portside. I’m soooo excited for my – not only VERY FIRST EVER balcony, also first time on the Dream.

Not sure how big the balcony is, are there lounge chairs, or just regular chairs? Is there enough privacy where your next door neighbors will not hear conversations (not that I’m going to plot any criminal activities)? Also, I am a non-smoker, and I understand that smoking is not allowed, is it enforced? What are things I should be aware of? Any tips, advice, anything special I should bring/pack, or any comments that you could share? Thanks so much in advance.

Congrats on your upsell!

There are 2 chairs & a small table on the balcony, in regular balcony cabins.

Quiet conversations will not be overheard, but loud talking, yes.

If a balcony near you has someone smoking, and it is bothering you, just call Guest Services for enforcement.

Plan on spending more for your future cruises, because more than likely, you will not go back to an inside or oceanview cabin again ;)

The balcony is 35 square feet and will have 2 chairs and a small table. The dividers are not soundproof and you will be able to hear your neighbor and they you. Unless the smoker is caught in the act by the crew there is no enforcement so just hope you have NS neighbors or ones who will follow the rules.

Yay for you!

Expect 2 regular chairs and a small table.

No, you can easily hear your neighbors conversations.

They can see you through the cracks ;) ....

Smoking policy is not enforced (we smelled smoke last week on the Conquest port side)...but with the constant stiff breeze I would not expect this to be a problem.

Take some wooden clothes pin clips to clip wet swimsuits to the chair backs so they don't blow away while drying. This is technically a no-no, but it is what I do.

Take binoculars? I do, but don't use them much.

:)

The divider between balconies is open at the top and bottom, much like dividers between stalls in public restrooms, so yes, conversations can be overheard. In my experience though, the times when the balconies on either side of you are occupied at the same time you are on yours is fairly minimal. As for enforcement of smoking rules, some people are going to try and get away with whatever they can get away with, so you may occasionally smell smoke, but again, in my experience, those times are also minimal. As for tips on what to be aware of, privacy is minimal, and your neighbors can see your reflection in the "glass" between the deck and handrail (if they so desire), so keep that in mind. BUT you will LOVE your balcony! When we booked our first, we never went back. One last tip, keep your eyes peeled for flying fish, dolphins, turtles, and other sea life... including refugees in small boats. ;-)

Yay for you!

Expect 2 regular chairs and a small table.

No, you can easily hear your neighbors conversations.

They can see you through the cracks ;) ....

Smoking policy is not enforced (we smelled smoke last week on the Conquest port side)...but with the constant stiff breeze I would not expect this to be a problem.

Take some wooden clothes pin clips to clip wet swimsuits to the chair backs so they don't blow away while drying. This is technically a no-no, but it is what I do.

Take binoculars? I do, but don't use them much.

:)

What cracks?:confused:

The divider between balconies is open at the top and bottom, much like dividers between stalls in public restrooms, so yes, conversations can be overheard. In my experience though, the times when the balconies on either side of you are occupied at the same time you are on yours is fairly minimal. As for enforcement of smoking rules, some people are going to try and get away with whatever they can get away with, so you may occasionally smell smoke, but again, in my experience, those times are also minimal. As for tips on what to be aware of, privacy is minimal, and your neighbors can see your reflection in the "glass" between the deck and handrail (if they so desire), so keep that in mind. BUT you will LOVE your balcony! When we booked our first, we never went back. One last tip, keep your eyes peeled for flying fish, dolphins, turtles, and other sea life... including refugees in small boats. ;-)

These are the "cracks" EL@C is talking about, thank you!

Watch the sunrise with a fresh carafe of coffee from room service on the balcony, peace at its best!!!

Watch the sun set with a glass of wine, toast to the end of a perfect day and a night just beginning!!!!

Love, love, love a balcony, for all the right reasons and maybe some naughty ones too....:eek:

You will be hooked....

My advice is to go out on the balcony often, even if only for a few minutes at a time. Go out there when you wake up, and just before you go to bed, and even after a middle of the night bathroom trip. Enjoy the feel of the air, and look at both sea and sky. Don't limit yourself to longer spells when you will (of course) want to sit out there and read, or enjoy a beverage, or stare at the water, or just BE. Enjoy the smaller moments as well.

Congratulations on your up sell. Your cruising experience is fixing to get a whole lot better. :) The plexiglass on the balcony can become really cloudy from the salt in the sea air so I always take a squeegee to clean ours. I use a washrag and squeeze some hot water on the glass and squeegee away. I'm sure the steward would do this but I don't mind doing it myself. Just make sure that nobody below you is hanging their heads over their balcony or you will get them wet. :eek: The balcony railings are high and the chairs are low so when you are sitting, you are looking through the plexiglass and having it be clear will definitely add to your balcony experience. Yes, your neighbors can hear you and the cracks are more like gaps between the barrier and the railing. Hope that helps. Have fun.

Edited by cruising maniac

All of the above posts have good info. One other thing -- they may clean the balconies one day on your cruise. There will be a notice of this in your room. It will say the day and time. Be sure your window drapes are 'closed' to avoid an embarrassing situation. :eek:

Yes, your neighbors will be able to hear you. Use a library voice it'll be harder for them to do so.

Carnival balcony doors are regular doors, not sliders. The doors are very heavy and have strong springs for closing. The doors bang shut, they're not being slammed (that entails anger) and it can be difficult for many to hold against the strength of the door so it doesn't make a sound. (I'm at a five star resort and I just heard my neighbor just shut his door.) The noise is no big deal if you live in an apartment or condo. Big issue if you have no neighbors nearby.

I live on a golf course, neighbors are far apart. Is the noise enough to keep you awake at night?

Edited by CandyCruiser1106

Also, you can look around the divider if you lean just a bit over the railing. As stated, the doors are heavy and you can loose your grip and it may slam closed, especially if the hall cabin door is opened at the same time.

You will enjoy the balcony at least this time. For me, yes, I enjoy the balcony, but I tend to spend more time out on the other decks then on the balcony. My dad, who I cruise with, tends to spend lots of time on the balcony. He prefers as high up as he can get so he is able to see more of what ever port we are at.

All of the above posts have good info. One other thing -- they may clean the balconies one day on your cruise. There will be a notice of this in your room. It will say the day and time. Be sure your window drapes are 'closed' to avoid an embarrassing situation. :eek:

Do I not let them in from the front door, and come through the room?

Do I not let them in from the front door, and come through the room?

Lol!!! NO...they are talking about the folks who clean the OUTSIDE of the ship.,..not just your balcony door or window....they will be on the outside of the ship doing maintenance!

I live on a golf course, neighbors are far apart. Is the noise enough to keep you awake at night?

If you're not used to doors opening and closing, it can be. Not an issue for me as I can sleep thru almost anything.

Edited by SadieN

We once tried to go back to an inside after a balcony....we were suddenly crazy claustrophobic! We love our balconies on the highest deck possible and spend tons and tons of time out there. We aren't much for ship activities.

I had no idea about the no clothes on the balcony rule after all my cruises. I believe you all but apparently this is not enforced.