Live blog From Anthem of the Seas Transatlantic

I assume by this you mean age demographic decreases as time of night increases? Is there a live houseband playing? Looking forward to this venue so hoping the house bands who I assume will get on in NJ will be awesome.

Hi no live band for the late set just a DJ

This is great. Anyone else hate the way they lump "teens". 12 yrs old us not a teen and the difference between a 12 and a 27 year old might as well be 25 yes at that age of development. On busier cruises, does anyone know if they do a better job with this and group more appropriately?

I don't see any mention of Royal Nights on the compass - was that on the front page? Was it obvious that it's a "different" kind of night?

Hi, no it wasn't obvious, the only reason we knew was because it was mentioned at the show the day before.

It was great to see most people did dress up for the occasion although some people were in shorts and flip flops which did not seem wholly appropriate.

We were somewhere in between, my other half did dress up. I didn't wear a suit but dressed smart with a jacket

Just a quick update, this morning the sea is slightly rougher. Still looks relatively calm however, the boat is moving a fair amount. We have slowed to around 14 knots (shown on the screens near the lift) which the captain mentioned was due to the sea state.

The captain came on the PA system earlier and advised there were some electrical issues causing parts of the ship to be in darkness. A further update was given about 20 minutes later to advise this had been fixed.

We had planned on going to American Icon for breakfast but when we got there were told that it was closed as they have no power so are unable to cook any meals and suggested 270 as an alternative. We went there but the queue was huge, so have ended up in the WJ again for breakfast. Like yesterday it is extremely busy and it took us a couple of laps around to find anywhere to sit. As it is at the back and top of the ship the movement is significant.

On another note our tv is also broken this morning and won't turn on, so I reported this in to maintenance who have advised they will send a technician to reset it or something.

This is great. Anyone else hate the way they lump "teens". 12 yrs old us not a teen and the difference between a 12 and a 27 year old might as well be 25 yes at that age of development. On busier cruises, does anyone know if they do a better job with this and group more appropriately?

To put in context at the show on the first night the Cruise Director gave some stats and said there were 129 people under 18 on board.

I thought I would add a post about the drinks package options available.

It would appear most people onboard have a package of some description as when you order a drink it would seem that you only have to sign if you need to pay. When we order, our sea pass card is just scanned and we never have to sign for the drinks. However, they do still show on your onboard account as a zero cost.

The package we purchased was the ultimate package as we wanted the options of coffee as well as alcohol. As you will have seen from the drinks menus we have uploaded the drinks aren't cheap and cost would quickly mount up.

We have tended to have fresh orange juice with breakfast, coffees, hot chocolates and soft drinks in the day then drinks on an evening. We also have picked up bottles of water from the bar to drink in the room, which again would add to the bill.

If you don't have a package there are places where you can get tea and coffee at no cost from the Windjammer, cafe promenade and cafe 270. There could be more but we haven't seen them yet.

So far we have not had any drink which has not been included, so as my post last night even drinks such as Grey Goose and Red Bull is included.

All of the cocktails and spirits have been free pour and fairly strong. The only time where I have seen spirits measured were at the downstairs bar of the music hall. However, they filled the measure poured it in the glass then poured more in the measure and into the glass. This resulted in already strong drinks being even stronger.

We haven't seen anyone really drunk and I don't think the packages are encouraging people to drink more. We haven't drunk more than we usually would on holiday, but have saved ourselves a significant bar bill as a result. Although we haven't drunk a larger number of drinks than we would if say we were at an All Inclusive in the Caribbean, the quality has been much better and the drinks a lot stronger.

At $14 a cocktail, you only need to have around 4 a day before the package is more cost effective.

I think if we had done a cruise with stops we may have made a different decision but on the basis we are on a TA it did seem the right decision to make.

REALLY EXCITED NOW!!!! All your photos and reviews have been great. Realize there are 'lots' of passengers....BUT, friends from Panama City Beach, FL are on board....Buddy and Nancy. You never know, it's a 'small world'!!

Will continue to follow your posts....Information is great; especially about food and entertainment. Judy

Since this morning the seas have calmed a bit, so it is nowhere near as bad as this morning, although activities such as Flow Rider, iFly, rock climbing and North Star have been shut down all day due to the winds.

Currently we are not able to access deck 15 outside to have a walk as this is sealed off, with signs saying due to the high winds. All the pools have been drained and the hot tubs roped off:

597b46ebda07fc3fc1d3c64eb2592ce3.jpg

2eb9a00bd8119c3121016b7c2f15b3fc.jpg

5ec92189ed62802d84ad6d400751e02f.jpg

f4acc0ca6a751a12238ec333b4b0c290.jpg

a2b8b2d886af7309b05dce7d0e93925c.jpg

2b785608a1d243a358b409f4c1b4108b.jpg

Since breakfast we did the Progressive trivia in 270 which was a bit of fun and since then not a lot really apart from reading and a wander about.

We did go for lunch at American Icon which I will add in the next post.

Ok so here are some pics from Lunch

312c997293738fb737f1b2e6024179c8.jpg

a7b5e977ddaec837523b85144cf175d4.jpg

Crab cakes

a47fa387637b18f71cbef40e075f055b.jpg

Philly cheese steak sandwich although not really any cheese on it, but was still good

11a90e71d201c770d9c8d9064feaf696.jpg

Lemon Rosemary chicken

5f525639d5f6740d2b858ca850b4bef9.jpg

Banana Sundae (not that great to be honest)

The dessert menu is the same as the evening one which I uploaded last night.

At the entrance to the restaurant there is a coin press. It takes one cent coins which are provided and there are 4 possible coins to stamp so worth doing.

One thing to note is you do need to ensure the dot on the coin you want on the wheel is exactly aligned to sticker, otherwise you won't get a clear print.

88a744ce039b64cf383e7b00cea430f9.jpg

Edited by CruisenovicesUK

Wow, kind of surprised to see the pools drained down. We're/are the seas really that bad?

Either way, hope your enjoying your cruise!

Hi Andy

Yes the cruise is great thanks.

The seas have been fairly bad today especially this morning but has calmed a lot now. I imagine that if they had left them full the water would be all over as there has been a fairly significant amount of up and down of the ship today.

Wow. Well glad to hear all is getting better!

Super jealous of everyone on the TA! We still have about a year to go. Hopefully it'll fly by!

Thanks for your review and photos, great to see those menus too!

I have been reading your posts and wanted to let you know I appreciate it! My husband and I will be boarding Anthem in New Jersey in 12 days (God willing). I say that because he is under the weather and one never knows what can happen from now until then.

I am at work and anxiously await your next post. As soon as I see there is a new one I log on to read it. THANK YOU!

I see all of the specialty drinks listed on menus being $12-14 dollars. My question, what are the drink prices like at the pool bar? I drink margaritas and on other RCCL ships the price has been between $6.50-$8.25. Are there any "drinks of the day" being served and what is the price point?

Thanks for taking the time to post - great information for future cruisers! :)

I'm with you. We'll be sailing on Anthem in April with a 13 year old girl, and I certainly hope her Adventure Ocean age group isn't lumped in with older teens.

To put in context at the show on the first night the Cruise Director gave some stats and said there were 129 people under 18 on board.

Perhaps 129 is a lot for a TA but that's much, much lower than any sailing I've ever been on. Granted, we only sail over school break weeks.

Crossing my fingers that on future sailings that correspond with New England school break weeks, there's enough kids that ages are broken down significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been reading your posts and wanted to let you know I appreciate it! My husband and I will be boarding Anthem in New Jersey in 12 days (God willing). I say that because he is under the weather and one never knows what can happen from now until then.

I am at work and anxiously await your next post. As soon as I see there is a new one I log on to read it. THANK YOU!

Sending 'well wishes' for your husband. THINK POSITIVE!! And agree with you...anxiously await next posts. Judy

Thanks for your comments, hope this doesn't distract you too much from your work!

Hopefully you husband will be well enough to travel, it's a great ship.

I see all of the specialty drinks listed on menus being $12-14 dollars. My question, what are the drink prices like at the pool bar? I drink margaritas and on other RCCL ships the price has been between $6.50-$8.25. Are there any "drinks of the day" being served and what is the price point?

Thanks for taking the time to post - great information for future cruisers! :)

Thanks for your comments, glad it's useful.

We will check the pool bar tomorrow and let you know. There are a few bars on the pool decks so will go up there tomorrow and take some pictures and get the prices.

Hi

Someone I know is on board and she was surprised to hear characters are on board

Where were they please

We have only seen the one so far, and it was on the Royal Promenade outside Michael's pub last night.

I had read quite a bit about the boat before we came on so know there has been issues around Dreamworks. I believe this is going to be onboard when based out of New York so wonder if it's connected to that and the launch of it?

If we see anymore I'll ask them about it.