Butler questions

motleyfan

Our butler brought us two free bottles of Veuve Clicquot, delivered 8 free shrimp cocktails from Cagney's, a free sitting with the ship's photographer, a private cocktail with the captain in his quarter's, a scale model of the Gem for my grandson, a tour of the women's dressing room during the entertainment dress rehearsals for myself, a $1,000 gift certificate for my wife at Columbia Emeralds, and roped off 4 seats at every bar for us to use for the week. And that was just during the sail away.

Could you please not LIE. People are asking legit questions. THERE IS KNOW WAY YOU GOT A FREE SCALE MODEL OF THE GEM. C'mon

I will give him 60 dollars the first day

So, if you have used butlers before, why start this thread? Your butler would let you know what his normal hours are and my butler would let me know when he has time off ashore. But there is always some on duty 24/7 when called upon.

So, if you have used butlers before, why start this thread? Your butler would let you know what his normal hours are and my butler would let me know when he has time off ashore. But there is always some on duty 24/7 when called upon.

I don't think he's ever had a butler before.

They may not take it. When I was in a suite, I tried to give a tip the first day, and the butler wouldn't accept it. Told me to wait until the end and base it on his overall service.

Are you saying that you gave your Butler $350 IN ADDITION to the normal gratuity?

thanks

There is no "normal gratuity" for Butlers. They are not part of the Service Charge.

reviously $12 per person, per day, the new charge will be $12.95 per person, per day in all cabin categories up to and including a mini suite. Suite guests -- who receive the services of a concierge and butler -- will be charged $14.95 per person, per day in gratuities.

According to this, for 2 in a room the charge is about $30, what am I missing here? We always tip extra to our room steward and those that were good to us, but never $350.

thanks

reviously $12 per person, per day, the new charge will be $12.95 per person, per day in all cabin categories up to and including a mini suite. Suite guests -- who receive the services of a concierge and butler -- will be charged $14.95 per person, per day in gratuities.

According to this, for 2 in a room the charge is about $30, what am I missing here? We always tip extra to our room steward and those that were good to us, but never $350.

thanks

The "extra" is for the room steward since suites are larger. The butler and concierge receive NONE of the DSC. I KNOW THIS TO BE 100% factual.

This DSC thing is out of whack since NCL and crew say it is not a tip but goes into a pool to pay salary. I had 6 in the garden villa, two were 3 and 6 years old. The DSC was around 600$ for seven days and I should tip on top of that? NCL haven is nice but not the Waldorf.

This DSC thing is out of whack since NCL and crew say it is not a tip but goes into a pool to pay salary. I had 6 in the garden villa, two were 3 and 6 years old. The DSC was around 600$ for seven days and I should tip on top of that? NCL haven is nice but not the Waldorf.
NCL suggests you tip the Butler and Concierge based on their services you recieve, no one is forcing you to tip anyone.

NCL suggests you tip the Butler and Concierge based on their services you recieve, no one is forcing you to tip anyone.

The fact they suggest you tip anyone based on anything is nuts. If they add 600$ on you bill for a seven day trip for the crew and then add 18% on drinks and spa and speciality restaurants IMO that should take care of everyone. I paid 26k for a seven day vacation and then I pay 600 plus more to get food and drinks served and the room cleaned and then NCL suggests I should tip the Butler!

The fact they suggest you tip anyone based on anything is nuts. If they add 600$ on you bill for a seven day trip for the crew and then add 18% on drinks and spa and speciality restaurants IMO that should take care of everyone. I paid 26k for a seven day vacation and then I pay 600 plus more to get food and drinks served and the room cleaned and then NCL suggests I should tip the Butler!
A suggestion is just that, a suggestion. If you don't want to tip, then don't, no one is forcing you to tip. You can remove the DSC, you can ask that the spa, the bar and the specialty restaurants to remove the 18% gratuity or you can cruise on a luxury line where the tips are included in your cruise fare, but then your $26k vacation would probably turn into a $50k vacation. Edited by NLH Arizona

Be forewarned the butler didn't do anything for us except drop off some crappy snacks in the afternoon.

The butler didn't do anything else so she got a big old goose egg. No reason to give her anything.

I am sure the "Crappy Snacks" are the little toasts with creepy stuff on them..I call them "Flushables". They seem to have overtaken all cruise lines, I now "opt out" on these immediately (thanks to the suggestions from a BUTLER).

On NCL, you can have your butler bring you anything you wish, we had cheese plates, hot pretzels, veggies with dips instead of "flushables":)

We tip at the end, of course, according to service, so far only one butler out of now over a dozen cruises was not very good.

Took us time to learn to ask - they all seem to want to help, and yes, as posted earlier - don't be shy, you do call your butler for Pizza and room service & everything in-between.

Our Butler, Chris, on the POA even saved us $125.00 on a rental car, along with sharing other personal tips and ideas for the islands in Hawaii.

You gave the butler $50 for 6 people in a Garden Villa? Meh

We have 8 booked in a Garden Villa and intend to tip way more than that. Did you tip the room stewed and consignor?

Yes I did, they did far more than the Butler. He just brought some snacks in the afternoon. We are not into eating in the room. The consignor is the one that does the reservations in all restaurants, even the free ones so when you arrive there all is ready, bridge tours, and limo home. The Butler is just good for eating in the room. There is also a haven pool waiter who brings drinks and food from Cangneys for breakfast and lunch. He was a big help. Because of the private steam room and hot tub my wife used lots of robes and towels so the room steward had extra work. If NCL wants to have a ship in a ship to cater to luxury market they have to step up and not nickel and dime a room that costs 3k a day also get rid of ripped furniture and faded fake plants. Have a great time and tip all you want.

I am one of those who always tip the butler and concierge based on service. However, based on the price that you paid, I think that NCL should have have a butler just for you without having to tip them. JMHO.