Platinum Amex On Board Credit

Garavar

Hi all, I was looking into getting the Platinum American Express. It is gonna cost me $625.00 per year because of the additional card holders so before I make the leap I wanted to know about their Royal Caribbean On Board Credit Offer.

It says you get $300 OBC for Suite of 5 nights or more and $200 for Junior Suites but I was wondering the following:

1) Does that stack with other RCL offers? ie if RCL is offering Bogo with $200 obc and a I book a 5 night GS. will I get $500 ($200 + $500?).

2) Does the OBC credit offer only work once per year? Ie I purchase a 5 night GS get $200 OBC through Amex, then 1 month later book another 5 night will I get $200 again?

Thanks everyone.

Not sure how the US Amex works but for the Canadian Amex you can stack promotions. Also, you can get OBC for each room that you book up to 3 rooms per sailing. And, there is no limit to the amount of times that you can receive the OBC per year. I had a Family Connected Jr. Suite on the Quantum in March. I received $300 for the Jr. Suite, $200 for the balcony and $100 for the interior connected room. The only stipulation was that the booking had to be through Amex travel (mine was transferred over) and I had to pay for each room with my Amex.

You can not always stack. It just depends, although I am not yet clear what it depends on.

No limit per year.

It isn't always the best deal. Our Aug 2016 trip the Amex rate was better for a GS but not for the kids in an inside. Standard pricing with "deals" were better.

Also, some travel agents offer around the same OBC.

Amex/rccl used to offer OBC, bottle of champagne welcome, dinner for two in speciality restaurant, free soft drink package for kids. Now it looks like just OBC.

Not sure how the US Amex works but for the Canadian Amex you can stack promotions. Also, you can get OBC for each room that you book up to 3 rooms per sailing. And, there is no limit to the amount of times that you can receive the OBC per year. I had a Family Connected Jr. Suite on the Quantum in March. I received $300 for the Jr. Suite, $200 for the balcony and $100 for the interior connected room. The only stipulation was that the booking had to be through Amex travel (mine was transferred over) and I had to pay for each room with my Amex.

As a Canadian, I got rid of my Platinum Amex just this year because I was not allowed to stack promotions among other things.... The OBC for Crown and Anchor was not combinable with that of the Platinum. The card wasn't worth the extra fee to me because most of the things they promoted that supported the additional cost were not available to me.

If I could have had the support you describe I would have kept it. Interesting you were able to do this. I complained mightily to no avail that I knew others had this level of support based on cruise critic comments. The customer service response was not exactly warm or concerned.....

US based cards are a different situation and it frustrated me enormously that I was not receiving the same support as the US card clients since the advertising in Canada pulls on those benefits which I think is misleading. What you have outlined is what the US folks get. Well done you but don't assume it will be continued.

Do you have to book through Amex or pay only with Amex (or non of it) ?

I was wondering to upgrade my Gold to Platinum if I had good reasons for it making the difference in price somehow vanish with options that I do really need ...

EDIT: OMG!!! My signature is not current ... Harmony is not on it yet :eek::eek::eek: Have to fix that IMMEDIATELY.

Edited by ChristianDecker

You must book through Amex Platinum services. I've had the card for years and have yet to actually use this feature on a cruise. Each cruise, the fares have been higher than other offers. I have used the annual $200 airline credit, whether for baggage, food or gift certificates.

You must book through Amex Platinum services. ... Each cruise, the fares have been higher than other offers.

Same observation for me ... much more expensive through Amex than on the 'market'.

I have used the annual $200 airline credit, whether for baggage, food or gift certificates.

May I please ask what you mean by this ? I only know the 'miles'/membership rewards points to collect for each money you spend.

Edited by ChristianDecker

May I please ask what you mean by this ? I only know the 'miles'/membership rewards points to collect for each money you spend.

With the Plat card, you are allotted $200 annually in airline fees. You choose which airline at beginning of the year:

"To receive statement credits of up to $200 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select a qualifying airline at http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline."

I have the individual personal plat card.

Do you have to book through Amex or pay only with Amex (or non of it) ?

I was wondering to upgrade my Gold to Platinum if I had good reasons for it making the difference in price somehow vanish with options that I do really need ...

EDIT: OMG!!! My signature is not current ... Harmony is not on it yet :eek::eek::eek: Have to fix that IMMEDIATELY.

I didn't. I booked through an online TA (not AMEX). They bundled their offering ($100 OBC) with AMEX's ($200 OBC for a balncony plus champaign). You have to use your Platinum AMEX to pay for it. But, it really doesn't matter given you pay off the AMEX every month, anyway.

Edited by graphicguy

With the Plat card, you are allotted $200 annually in airline fees. You choose which airline at beginning of the year:

"To receive statement credits of up to $200 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select a qualifying airline at http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline."

I have the individual personal plat card.

de13-The $200 credit for airline fees covers things like baggage fees, food or drinks you buy onboard, etc. The downside, you can only stipulate one airline to use the $200 credit for. So, if you stipulated American Airlines, and fly on Delta, you can't use the $200 on Delta.

Also, AMEX Platinum pays for any TSA or Global Acces preclearance fees ($80-$120).

Plus, you get access to their airline clubs (Centurion Club) wherever they have them (not sure all the airports but I know they have one in Vegas and Dallas). Plus, you can use Delta's Sky Club for free whenever you are flying Delta (which I do, a lot) and in an airport that has those facilities.

There are more benefits, but those are just the ones I've used.

Edited by graphicguy

Just got $200 OBC plus bottle of champaign by using my Platinum Card. Was able to stack it on top of $100 OBC from RCCL. I live in Ohio.

May I ask what the OBC was for from RCCL? I have a $100 OBC from a WOW promo and was told it wasn't not combinable with the Amex OBC. It was one or the other. Since we have a suite our Amex OBC was $300 and one bottle of champagne, so we let go of the RCCL one.

Mine was booked through a travel agent (not Amex) and they were able to apply it. I also called RCCL directly and they told me me the same about the two OBC offers not being combinable

Thank you

Some travel agents are registered to use the Amex platinum benefits. Have to ask.

Details - click on rccl

https://www.americanexpresscruise.com/cruises/promos/amex/cruise_privileges.jsp?cobrand=15558&webpagerecno=2357#royalcaribbean

And it does look like the champagne is back.

Edited by AustinCruise

May I ask what the OBC was for from RCCL? I have a $100 OBC from a WOW promo and was told it wasn't not combinable with the Amex OBC. It was one or the other. Since we have a suite our Amex OBC was $300 and one bottle of champagne, so we let go of the RCCL one.

Mine was booked through a travel agent (not Amex) and they were able to apply it. I also called RCCL directly and they told me me the same about the two OBC offers not being combinable

Thank you

Hi Jon:

I think RCCL's OBC was $100. But, my online TA offered a better price and let me combine their OBC ($100) with AMEX's $200 OBC + Champaign. Don't know why RCCL direct won't let you do that. That's an RCCL thing, not AMEX's.

Hi Jon:

I think RCCL's OBC was $100. But, my online TA offered a better price and let me combine their OBC ($100) with AMEX's $200 OBC + Champaign. Don't know why RCCL direct won't let you do that. That's an RCCL thing, not AMEX's.

Thank you - that makes sense then. I do have an OBC from my TA I thought you were referring to an OBC from RCCL

Note you do not need to use your platinum card to get the benefits, just have to be an Amex member with a platinum card. It is highly encouraged though to use the card.

Also we have been able to buy airline gift cards to use up the annual $200 credit.

Flyertalk has much more info and discussion about Amex cards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410

Note you do not need to use your platinum card to get the benefits, just have to be an Amex member with a platinum card. It is highly encouraged though to use the card.

Also we have been able to buy airline gift cards to use up the annual $200 credit.

Flyertalk has much more info and discussion about Amex cards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410

WOW...what a great idea I didn't think of for the $200 airline credit. Thanks!