Dumb black eye for NCL Breakaway 10/18

op1

I get it -- you paid a lot of money for a nice vacation, and when a problem came up, you expected to be treated like a valued customer, and weren't. And just because some people aren't bothered by certain things, doesn't mean others can't have a problem with it. I don't like it when I'm at the movies and people are on their phones reading emails and disrupting my experience. Other people seem ok with it -- no idea why. Same with this situation -- I would expect a reasonable level of quiet in a cabin at night, and if staff come and acknowledge that the noise is NOT normal, then I expect it to be addressed as promptly as possible. It sounds like OP did everything possible to deal with it on board, and NCL staff had ample opportunity to attend to it, and didn't.

So, how much money should he get?

So, how much money should he get?

Well, if you saw my posts, and I'm assuming you did since you are quoting me directly -- I don't know why you are obnoxiously asking me about money --I'm pretty sure I mentioned a SINCERE apology. I'm in support of any customer that is dismissed by a company while providing the product that was purchased. If it makes OP happy to pursue this, then he should. It sounds like it was sufficiently disruptive. And if no one complains to corporate, then the staff onboard won't know that their attitude of blowing off customer concerns isn't appropriate.

OP might expect something different, but whatever he expects is up to him.

OP complaints are legitimate as he paid a lot of money for this cabin and staff did not resolve the issue immediately, I'll be ticked too it's vacation after all. We had an aft room on a previous cruise and there was garden cafe outdoor patio above our heads. Every morning at 5 am the staff were dragging, restacking, dropping chairs and tables loudly and this woke us up 5 of 7 nights, and this was not acceptable even no passenger used the area til after 8 am. We complained to guest services and they agreed it was too early for them to do this but they continued anyway as it seems their dept supervisor did not give rats ass what guest services told them to keep quiet until after day 5 that director told them to keep it down. Guest relations told us to call NCL head office and complain so we did. We weren't the only ones complaining of this noise other afts beside us did too. They offered us downgraded sleeping room and we declined as we paid for mini suite with aft views.!So after 11 days NCL responded to us saying if was unacceptable that it took so long too resolve and apologized and offered us credits for future cruise.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned a SINCERE apology

He received an apology on the ship. Why would you assume that apology wasn't sincere?

I don't know if the OP attended the Cruise Critic meet & greet. I did, and always do on every cruise. If he had been there, he would have heard from the captain and officers, including the hotel director. The central theme was to reach out to them on board if there were any problems, as they couldn't solve the problems after the fact. I understand the OP talked to supervisors, but if he had been persistent and asked for the hotel director...I bet the problem would have been addressed.

That's one great reason to attend the meet & greet. It's not just to meet your fellow cruisers, but you get an opportunity to meet and speak to senior staff.

Filing a complaint after the fact will result in a somewhat standardized reply. OP may get a sincere apology and may get a discount or on board credit on a future cruise. Either way, it apparently won't remove the noise OP will think of every time he remembers this cruise.

He received an apology on the ship. Why would you assume that apology wasn't sincere?

I don't know if the OP attended the Cruise Critic meet & greet. I did, and always do on every cruise. If he had been there, he would have heard from the captain and officers, including the hotel director. The central theme was to reach out to them on board if there were any problems, as they couldn't solve the problems after the fact. I understand the OP talked to supervisors, but if he had been persistent and asked for the hotel director...I bet the problem would have been addressed.

That's one great reason to attend the meet & greet. It's not just to meet your fellow cruisers, but you get an opportunity to meet and speak to senior staff.

Filing a complaint after the fact will result in a somewhat standardized reply. OP may get a sincere apology and may get a discount or on board credit on a future cruise. Either way, it apparently won't remove the noise OP will think of every time he remembers this cruise.

I guess I'm gathering from what OP has said, that he didn't feel valued -- which I translate as having not received communication from an NCL staff member that made him feel respected -- ie, a sincere apology.

Why do you think the OP wasn't persistent? From his post, he sounded pretty persistent to me. And he shouldn't have to attend a Meet and Greet to get decent customer service. Maybe he doesn't like them. Maybe he thought others in the roll call were judgmental and decided to skip it. It sounds like he did enough, and if he still feels the need to pursue it, what difference is it to you?

which I translate as having not received communication from an NCL staff member that made him feel respected -- ie, a sincere apology.

OP says he was offered an apology and a supervisor asked if there was anything they could do for him. He was offered another cabin for sleeping purposes. Not convenient, but clear demonstration that the customer service people were making an attempt to address his concern.

I think they were sincere. You don't. We can disagree.

I'm back on Breakaway in December. I'm sure I will hear noise at some point in the cruise, but I won't let it ruin my vacation.

OP says he was offered an apology and a supervisor asked if there was anything they could do for him. He was offered another cabin for sleeping purposes. Not convenient, but clear demonstration that the customer service people were making an attempt to address his concern.

I think they were sincere. You don't. We can disagree.

I'm back on Breakaway in December. I'm sure I will hear noise at some point in the cruise, but I won't let it ruin my vacation.

Well, obviously OP didn't think it was sufficient -- and since neither of us was there, it doesn't really matter what we think. I think a clear demonstration that CS was making a legitimate attempt to address his concern would have been to take it seriously from the get go -- that obviously did not happen. And, put me in the camp of those that wouldn't have been happy with having the offer of being able to sleep in an inside cabin when I paid for a mini-suite. Especially when at that point, really no effort had been made to actually fix the issue, or even determine exactly what it was.

really no effort had been made to actually fix the issue, or even determine exactly what it was.

The noise was first noticed on the 2nd night at sea. He spoke to customer service the next day. They reached out to him but he was at dinner. The next 3 days were in port. He called again when the ship left Bermuda and that's when he was told there was apparently nothing that could be done. Carpenter did eventually fix the problem.

Was it annoying? Clearly. Was he frustrated that something wasn't done immediately? Obviously.

The reality is that what he was told every step of the way is true. Typically such noises are just part of being on a ship at sea. When he asked for managers/supervisors, they were dispatched. He didn't like the outcome. Understood.

I can't imagine any circumstance where a supervisor would have made an apology that was not sincere. They are trained to deal with complaints, and their job is to try to address complaints on board. No supervisor would intentionally try to ruin a vacation by ignoring a complaint or by not being sincere in dealing with a customer.

My point about the meet and greet was valid. He apparently wasn't there (for whatever reason). If he had been, he would have met the hotel director and heard from senior staff about their desire to handle things on board and to address concerns exactly like the one OP had during the vacation instead of after the fact. Not being judgmental about OP not attending the meet & greet, just pointing out the value of attending. It's not just a chance to meet fellow cruisers, but a chance to meet people that can make a real difference in your cruise if you have a problem.

The noise was first noticed on the 2nd night at sea. He spoke to customer service the next day. They reached out to him but he was at dinner. The next 3 days were in port. He called again when the ship left Bermuda and that's when he was told there was apparently nothing that could be done. Carpenter did eventually fix the problem.

Was it annoying? Clearly. Was he frustrated that something wasn't done immediately? Obviously.

The reality is that what he was told every step of the way is true. Typically such noises are just part of being on a ship at sea. When he asked for managers/supervisors, they were dispatched. He didn't like the outcome. Understood.

I can't imagine any circumstance where a supervisor would have made an apology that was not sincere. They are trained to deal with complaints, and their job is to try to address complaints on board. No supervisor would intentionally try to ruin a vacation by ignoring a complaint or by not being sincere in dealing with a customer.

My point about the meet and greet was valid. He apparently wasn't there (for whatever reason). If he had been, he would have met the hotel director and heard from senior staff about their desire to handle things on board and to address concerns exactly like the one OP had during the vacation instead of after the fact. Not being judgmental about OP not attending the meet & greet, just pointing out the value of attending. It's not just a chance to meet fellow cruisers, but a chance to meet people that can make a real difference in your cruise if you have a problem.

Not showing up for 3 hours is not particularly great service. Not leaving note that you'd been there during the dinner hour, the same. Automatically assuming, on more than one occasion, that the noise was normal without checking it out, also not acceptable. Realizing it's not normal, doing nothing to fix it and then just leaving without a word to the customer -- completely unacceptable. They didn't know nothing could be done, because it seems like they really didn't try to do anything, other than listen to it, and agree it didn't sound like the normal, run of the mill noises. Yes, eventually the carpenter fixed it -- after days, and days and much frustration for OP.

I can completely imagine the occasion in which an apology was insincere -- happens all of the time. No one said ANYTHING about any employee intentionally trying to disrupt the OP's vacation. Where is that coming from??? My point about the M&G was valid -- they aren't for everyone, and it shouldn't be the only way to get decent customer service. How many passengers percentage wise are on CC and even know about the Meet and Greet? So all of them should expect crappy service because they don't have a hotline to the HD??

You're coming across as very judgmental -- no idea why. But I don't care either -- please feel free to continue enjoying your vacations and suffering through any and all inconveniences. Those of us that choose not to, will complain as suits us.

Those of us that choose not to, will complain as suits us.

You were asked earlier what you think he should get out of the complaint. You said a SINCERE apology. There's been no indication in any of the OP comments that he thought the apology he received was not sincere.

I'm sure he will eventually get a response to his complaint and that it will include another SINCERE apology.

Maybe he will even get a free cruise, or maybe a million dollars. Until then, we can look forward to more updates on how many days it has been since he hasn't received a response to his complaint.

Well I did attend the meet and greet. Unfortunately I was the late comer and missed the staff.

Was an apology given yes. But then I would get a call from someone that would proceed to tell me it was a normal for a ship to have sounds at sea.

Let me repeat myself this was not my first cruise. Not to throw my weight but I am a gold latitudes member. Furthermore am an avid sailer and have spent a number of nights on numerous types of sea vessels and at sea. I knew that certain noises were acceptable. So please do not try to tell me what I was hearing was normal. Further more the supervisor mentioned that he had received similar complaints the prior week, although not from this specific room. So clearly complaints go unaddressed!

I was then told that nothing could be done and it would require that the problem be addressed in port, only to have the carpenters show up the next day and fix it in less than 15 minutes! That added insult to injury. Did I hear from anyone after that?!? Hell no! Gee a sorry sir you were right and it was something we could fix would have probably shut me up. But totally ignoring it like it never happened?

I don't know what I want or don't want from NCL at this point. But an acknowledgment that there was indeed a problem, an apology for the way everything was handled would be a start.

Until then, we can look forward to more updates on how many days it has been since he hasn't received a response to his complaint.

You sure can. You see last I checked this is site was called Cruise Critic. When I first started cruising I lurked here often to get an idea about the different lines.

I take the good posts and the negative posts and I weigh the things that mean the most to me. At this time we have no idea how many people are reading this. How many are thinking gee bad customer service? Maybe I should go elsewhere. And that is what this site and many other sites had done for all of us. For the most part I like NCL dollar for dollar you get a good value. But I hate to see bad customer service anywhere. So maybe of they are reading this, and they do. They will learn from it. Maybe the next time one of the other posters have an issue on the ship service will be just a little better.

So until they answer you can look forward to some more posts.

OP:

Things were handled very poorly. When you have guest services giving you the company line that noises are normal every time you speak with someone shows that the lack of communication is a major issue....your file should have notes added that clearly identified that there were acknowledged problems.

You deserve at a bear minimum a future cruise credit that takes into account the stupidity of this whole situation. A sincere apology that acknowledges that the situation was not handled well.

Keep at them....it will only aid all of us in the long run.

To the people who are defending NCL.....I hope you have a similar experience and you get the same response from others when you post...and you will complain much louder than the OP!

OP:

Things were handled very poorly. When you have guest services giving you the company line that noises are normal every time you speak with someone shows that the lack of communication is a major issue....your file should have notes added that clearly identified that there were acknowledged problems.

You deserve at a bear minimum a future cruise credit that takes into account the stupidity of this whole situation. A sincere apology that acknowledges that the situation was not handled well.

Keep at them....it will only aid all of us in the long run.

To the people who are defending NCL.....I hope you have a similar experience and you get the same response from others when you post...and you will complain much louder than the OP!

I'm not comparing our incident to what the OP had happen to them, I'm just explaining what happened to us and I guess that yes, I am defending NCL as you say.

We were on the Jade in 2013 on the 7 Day Greek Isles, cabin # 5021 a "sideways" inside. A lovely cabin with more room than other insides.

We also had a strange sound that woke us up @ 4:30 am on our first night/morning Sunday. It sounded like rolling thunder getting progressively louder as it neared our cabin ending with what is best described as a cart with "square wheels" rolling across our ceiling. Needless to say it was disturbing to say the least.

After it occurred again the following morning (Monday), we stopped by guest services and asked if they could look into who or what be making that noise.

We were told that they would but they couldn't understand it happening @ that hour as the area above our cabin is not a crew work area. They also told us to call right away if it happens again so they could send someone down to investigate the noise.

So guess what, at 4:30 am Tuesday morning it happened again, we called to let them know & went back to sleep. After waking up around 8 am and after having breakfast, I was about to call GS to see what they found if anything when our phone rang and it was GS asking if we would like to see another cabin for us to move to. Asked where it was (deck 8) and we made arrangements to meet the asst. GS Manager there. Turns out it was the exact same cabin that we already had so there was no issue there, of course we accepted the offer to change.

We had to go back to GS to have our new cards printed out for the new cabin and were told to go and pack our belongings, call them when done and a steward would come up to move our luggage for us. This whole process was done in about 30 min. and the whole time the Asst. GS Manager apologized to us numerous times for our inconvenience. As we left him to go pack or luggage, he handed me an envelope saying he hopes this would help during our inconvenience and again apologized on behalf of NCL.

Didn't read the letter until we got into our new cabin, it was a letter of apology from the Captain for our experience in the cabin and we were given a dinner for 2 in Moderno with a bottle of wine of our choice.

Totally surprised and pleasantly impressed with what they has done for us, for at no time did we "demand" to be moved or to be compensated for having a noisy cabin.

In fact we made light of the fact that we didn't need an alarm clock to wake up albeit earlier than we wanted. I retired in 2011 from the "service industry" so I know what it's like to have an angry customer to deal with and I was not about to turn into an ogre to get my point across.

Now I'm not saying that the OP was anything but pleasant, I'm just explaining what my experience was with GS when dealing with cabin issues. What we received was more than we expected, just the fact that they moved us to a quieter cabin was more than enough for us. So I guess you could call us NCL cheerleaders, but for good reason.

We happened to be waiting for our shuttle to the airport just inside the area where the Jade was checking in the next group of passengers. When a number of Officers and Jr. staff came in and say across from us, looked like they were having a break or a casual group meeting when I happened to read the name tag of the one officer and it was Ms. Brown the Guest Services Manager.

I waited for an appropriate time to approach her, introduced myself and surprisingly she recognized my name and she apologized again for our misfortune with the noisy cabin and hoped it made the rest of our cruise enjoyable. I couldn't say enough to her on how impressed we were with the service we received and especially how we were compensated. It wasn't necessary but greatly appreciated and totally unexpected. I made a point of sending an email to head office mentioning all of the staffs names that went over and above, as far as we were concerned, to make our cruise a memorable as possible.

So I guess you could say we had a similar experience as the OP but with obvious different results. As for saying that the OP deserves a bear (bare) minimum of a future cruise credit is absurd, why not ask for a full refund instead :rolleyes:.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Well, if you saw my posts, and I'm assuming you did since you are quoting me directly -- I don't know why you are obnoxiously asking me about money --I'm pretty sure I mentioned a SINCERE apology. I'm in support of any customer that is dismissed by a company while providing the product that was purchased. If it makes OP happy to pursue this, then he should. It sounds like it was sufficiently disruptive. And if no one complains to corporate, then the staff onboard won't know that their attitude of blowing off customer concerns isn't appropriate.

OP might expect something different, but whatever he expects is up to him.

He finally stated today that he's looking for some money. Since you are sympathetic to his plight, I was wondering if his late admission that he's looking for "restitution" changes it in your eyes.

I sent my letter off to Andy Stuart and to guest services in case he doesn't read his mail, that was only 3 days ago, but I've heard nothing so far.

My situation is a bit different, when I was on the Escape, the coating on the brand new bathtubs had some kind or acid or corrosive material in it and when I used the tub, I ended up with first degree burns on my backside. I had a horrible experience with guest services for 2 days, running around, going to medical which they wanted to charge me for. Finally got a meeting with the Hotel Director who was great. My biggest concern was that someone else was going to end up going through what I did, and worse that it be a child because I was in the family oceanview staterooms, and kids take baths.

I don't know what I expect to hear, but I do want follow up, I want to be sure that the problem was properly handled and I hope I don't end up going through what the OP is going through and having to constantly follow up with them to find out.

I guess some think of themselves as the Cruise Critic Critics. If you criticize a cruise line, they will criticize you. Fortunately my skin is to thick and my tenacity has served me well in both my personal and professional, life.

Again the great thing about this board is that people do read it. Some will then know what to expect when dealing with a cruise line.

Btw I'd like to add that upon my return my TA as well as a NCL sales person contacted me to find out about my cruise and future plans. I shared my experience with both and both suggested I file a case. And so I did.

I

recompense for injury or loss.

"he was ordered to pay $

Restitution can come in many forms. Could be in the way of a hat, t-shirt, discount towards future cruise.

I haven't set a value on this. I am waiting to see how much NCL values loyal customers, and what they feel may be appropriate.

What is very interesting is how all the opponents of my post and my position, fail to acknowledge NCLs failure to meet their commitment for a reply. Instead choose to focus on the validity of my case or what I may or may not be seeking.

Restitution can come in many forms. Could be in the way of a hat, t-shirt, discount towards future cruise.

I haven't set a value on this. I am waiting to see how much NCL values loyal customers, and what they feel may be appropriate.

What is very interesting is how all the opponents of my post and my position, fail to acknowledge NCLs failure to meet their commitment for a reply. Instead choose to focus on the validity of my case or what I may or may not be seeking.

But I think the question is really what do YOU feel is appropriate under the circumstances? You are waiting to "see how much NCL values loyal customers and what they feel may be appropriate." It sounds like some kind of test - will they place enough value on your loyalty? They can make their own judgment but have no idea what may or may not satisfy you.

Many years ago I worked handling responses to customer complaints for a large company. I would be shocked if they admit that "it was handled poorly." They won't admit they wrong in writing - that creates potential legal liability. At best you will likely get an apology that they are "sorry it wasn't handled to your satisfaction." Did you tell NCL what you are looking for from them? If you stated that you want an apology, that's probably all you will get. It is always helpful to tell them exactly what you want. You may not get exactly what you ask for, but it will help inform and shape the company's response if they know up front what your desired outcome is.

As far as the time frame for a reply - when they give a time frame, I think of it as a loose guideline - probably based on their internal policies and procedures. If I had been the one responding, I probably would have given an estimate of 30 days, just to have the extra cushion and avoid the appearance of not meeting deadlines (although there are really no hard, fast deadlines). That said, they have been responsive whenever you have reached out. You may not have received a final resolution, but they continue to communicate rather than simply ignoring your inquiries which many companies will do. I realize it's a rather low bar, but I'm not convinced that your complaint has been mishandled in any way.

Good luck. I hope it is ultimately resolved in a manner that is satisfactory to you.

I had an incident while on the Gem a few years ago, whereby I got locked out on my balcony & couldn't open the balcony door to get back in the cabin. With a call to GS from my neighbor...they immediately sent security to get me back in. Then they sent a bottle of wine to my cabin & later that morning sent a carpenter to look at & fix the self-locking balcony door. It was responsive & thoughtful care from NCL..and was appreciated.

I think the OP just received bad service in this case, which is a shame.

It sounds like some kind of test - will they place enough value.

Many years ago I worked handling responses to customer complaints for a large company.

As far as the time frame for I probably would have given an estimate of 30 days,

Good luck. I hope it is ultimately resolved in a manner that is satisfactory to you.

Part of my reason for complaining is to make sure their management is aware the have a problem. When a guests complaint is dismissed as such it gives them a black eye.

I also managed a customer service department for a large company many years ago. Our motto was under promise and over deliver.

I'm not sure I would call what NCL has done as keeping me informed, given that contact had always been initiated by me in the way of a call after not hearing from them within the time they committed to.

So is it their practice to delay a reply in order to get you to forget about it and go away? That's the impression I'm getting. Frank Del Rio is attempting to bring NCL up to a different standard. Would he find this acceptable?

But I think the question is really what do YOU feel is appropriate under the circumstances? You are waiting to "see how much NCL values loyal customers and what they feel may be appropriate." It sounds like some kind of test - will they place enough value on your loyalty? They can make their own judgment but have no idea what may or may not satisfy you.

I see it the same what. If someone wants to solve an issue with some sort of compensation, then they should clearly state this in their letter to the company. If the company feels that their request is out of line, then they will offer them something else or offer them nothing. Unless the issue is one big enough for it to escalate up the chain, they probably won't offer much of anything, thus ticking off those customers who didn't let them know what their expectations where.

I can't believe how some of you are hostile in the forum, there was a problem and it was not dealt efficiently. We also sent a letter to NCL when we had problems not dealt efficiently and gave them suggestions so future guests will not complain and we never asked for apology or compensation, they responded to us and like the ideas and gave us future credits for next cruise. Cruise companies can't fix problems unless client tells them what is going on, otherwise next guest will complain.

I have not commented on the merits of your complaint, nor have I said anything negative about you or to anyone on this thread, or about NCL. I am officially neutral on it.

Many here have "read into" your posts to determine what they think you want. Some say you just want a "sincere apology". You mentioned "some kind of restitution" after several posts, so I am assuming you want some kind of, well, "restitution". Others have varying opinions. I wonder if NCL is also unsure of exactly what you want.

I can't believe how some of you are hostile in the forum, there was a problem and it was not dealt efficiently. We also sent a letter to NCL when we had problems not dealt efficiently and gave them suggestions so future guests will not complain and we never asked for apology or compensation, they responded to us and like the ideas and gave us future credits for next cruise. Cruise companies can't fix problems unless client tells them what is going on, otherwise next guest will complain.

I don't really see much hostility, other than the occasional name calling (I didn't notice any directed at the OP, but did see some towards me). I reported the post that insulted my character. I encourage others to do the same. There is no reason to call each other names.

The OP presented an issue here, presumably to elicit responses. If he didn't want discussion, he could have posted a blog post with comments disabled. Or put the comments in the review section where there would not be as much discussion. He could have said he wanted only supportive responses that agree with him, and I would have honored his request (although not required to, and many others would "express their opinion" freely, without regard to the feelings of the OP). He can tell us if he only wants responses from people who are completely sympathetic and will not question or challenge his account.