New Internet Provider-Disaster

oursbrun

Reasonable depends on how much you use the Internet.

In general, I use the Internet for about 15 minutes/day for normal e-mailing reading and some surfing.

Reasonable compared to what other lines are charging for unlimited internet.

I need to check work emails (and many others do) when on vacation. So I go through my platinum/elite minutes quite quickly, especially with poor connections.

Just off the Crown 10/10-17 After all these years using the internet café computers I almost passed out at how fast the connection was, both in port and at sea, no problems on the multiple days I used the café. Had my smart phone with me but I'm not smart enough yet to risk it on board. Lets hope whatever changes are taking place with the internet services are better than the cheapening up changes they are making everywhere else. :):):)

We were on the same cruise and also were surprised and pleased with the internet service. Even better, I had no problem accessing my email provider as I have had on every other Princess cruise. I was taken right to my message inbox. I also noticed that the printer was significantly faster.

We will be on the Emerald in February and hope we have the new system there.

Good job Princess!

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently returned from cruising on the Coral. I rate it as poor.

Coral has the new service with actual Princess employees, not outsource employees as they had with MTN. The internet speed was pretty bad (and I had a wi-fi thingy right outside my cabin door) and many SERVER NOT FOUND screens (I did not experience that with MTN) lots and lots of whirling and nothing, my home ISP email was not available on a couple days. Maybe it was too early to roll it out yet before more testing and proof of performance. This service is very much in it's infancy and has limited options compared to the previous MTN that was well established. ie: free access to Princess.com and free e-postcards.

I will say that the Internet Cafe employees (Princess employees) are really making an effort and were trying to be helpful. They also seem to have more on duty hours that the MTN employees. There may have been 4 of them, The same 2 there most of the of the time.

I have recently returned from cruising on the Coral. I rate it as poor.

Coral has the new service with actual Princess employees, not outsource employees as they had with MTN. The internet speed was pretty bad (and I had a wi-fi thingy right outside my cabin door) and many SERVER NOT FOUND screens (I did not experience that with MTN) lots and lots of whirling and nothing, my home ISP email was not available on a couple days. Maybe it was too early to roll it out yet before more testing and proof of performance. This service is very much in it's infancy and has limited options compared to the previous MTN that was well established. ie: free access to Princess.com and free e-postcards.

I will say that the Internet Cafe employees (Princess employees) are really making an effort and were trying to be helpful. They also seem to have more on duty hours that the MTN employees. There may have been 4 of them, The same 2 there most of the of the time.

Were levels of service - social, etc. - offered? If so do you know what was given to the Platinum/Elite passengers? I'm sailing on Coral next full transit and it would be helpful to know. thank you.

Were levels of service - social, etc. - offered? If so do you know what was given to the Platinum/Elite passengers? I'm sailing on Coral next full transit and it would be helpful to know. thank you.

I believe Carnival Cruise Line has opted for the internet service that offers levels of service, not Princess. Now you will sign in accessing coral.princess.com and set up your account there. (If you do not sign out you will no longer have to sign in every time you want to access the internet. (Nice :)) I think each line under the Carnival umbrella seems to be doing something different and rolling out at different speeds. I read the articles in this thread and Princess is hardly mentioned as far a any real new changes like various internet plans. Mainly the source/provider of the internet service is changing for Princess ships as far as I can tell. I am elite and received the normal allotment of minutes based on cruise length. Jasper the internet manager seems to be putting a lot of effort into getting this working. He along with the other employees are very available to help passengers. It is just not there yet, so do not have high expectations. It will work, just not very fast, IMO slower than MTN was.

Just of the Emerald on a 5 day cruise 10/29/15 and had prepaid for the 430 min Internet package. I expected it to be slow and it more than fufilled those expectations. After two full days I had used less than 30 min, no access in the room and finally no access anywhere. Even the intranet i.e access to the Princess app had no connection either.

This was also impacting the crew,some of whom were on board to do some technical jobs (not related to internet). Spoke with the Intranet manager who said they

had a new provider which was being rolled out to all ships. There was no problem at all as far as his sevice as he gave us a full refund.

This may have been a teething problem but I would not want to buy a prepaid package until I heard some reports after this one.

We were on the same cruise and also were very disappointed in the internet service. Luckily, we are platinum so didn't pay for it. Both my husband and I commented that we would have asked for a refund if we did. Many times we couldn't connect at all, other times service was extremely slow. We did try from several different areas on the ship without any better service.

They have about 10 days left to get it right for my cruise on the Coral, I'm hoping they do.

Thanks for the info. I will need it a bit to pay bills, read email, and keep my DVR from overflowing and deleting things I really want to watch while leaving the stuff I don't.