New dining in The Colonnade

CoSec

Why are cruise ships partnering with celebrity chefs ?? I am not going to Crystal to eat Nobu as well .

Just imagine which good ingredients could be purchased instead of the royalties paid to TK ???

Because by virtue of the fact they are good they become celebrities. Raymond Blanc, the Roux family, they are all household names. My mate Pete Stibbington is a monumental chef but he won't put bums on seats. The well known chefs will.

You may choose to shun the Nobu restaurant whilst on Crystal but most others won't .

Why is your watch a brand name, your car a brand name, your clothes brand names and even your after shave a brand name? Because they are all good at what they do and so become household names and like it or not we are all victims of brand association.

If any of the chefs mentioned on this thread came round to cook dinner at my house I'm pretty sure it would be better than a Tescos finest ready meal.

The cruise lines are trying to offer a little something extra. Seabourn could build a rock climbing wall, a surf simulator or a free-fall parachute vertical wind tunnel to add depth to the experience but instead they are reading their audience and trying to add to the dining, something we all like to indulge in.

Incidentally I haven't checked, is there a Flowrider machine planned for Encore ?

Henry :)

Couldn't agree more that we need to wait until everything is in place before we start criticizing. Not only is Seabourn's reputation at stake but so is Thomas Keller's. We can stipulate that the meals on board will not equal those in his actual restaurants but even not as good will hopefully be very good. Let's give them all the benefit of the doubt for now.

I have ignored all the what ifs and suppositions based on guesses and will form my own opinions on Odyssey in December.

My minister of almost thirty years passed away last week. He was internationally known, author of multiple books. We always laughed that he only really had three sermons, and all were just a riff off one of those three. But one we all talked about during the reception following the service was "Wait To Worry". The tag line from that one was "it isn't a problem until it is a problem."

Great words to live by. I too will form my opinions on Quest in December.

Edited by scm

Because by virtue of the fact they are good they become celebrities. Raymond Blanc, the Roux family, they are all household names. My mate Pete Stibbington is a monumental chef but he won't put bums on seats. The well known chefs will.

You may choose to shun the Nobu restaurant whilst on Crystal but most others won't .

Why is your watch a brand name, your car a brand name, your clothes brand names and even your after shave a brand name? Because they are all good at what they do and so become household names and like it or not we are all victims of brand association.

If any of the chefs mentioned on this thread came round to cook dinner at my house I'm pretty sure it would be better than a Tescos finest ready meal.

The cruise lines are trying to offer a little something extra. Seabourn could build a rock climbing wall, a surf simulator or a free-fall parachute vertical wind tunnel to add depth to the experience but instead they are reading their audience and trying to add to the dining, something we all like to indulge in.

Incidentally I haven't checked, is there a Flowrider machine planned for Encore ?

I think that has to be the first time I've seen Tesco and Seabourn mentioned together;)

Thanks to jimmyw9 for clarifying Seabourn's intentions and what is actually happening onboard with these TK changes.

However, Seabourn really isn't doing a great job of communicating to most guests onboard.

I've seen lots written by current and recent Odyssey guests, both here at CC and elsewhere online and until jimmyw9's posts, nobody was aware that this isn't a permanent change for The Colonnade. In fact we've been told that R2 was going to be a steak house type theme and that the Colonnade would be this Ad Hoc theme, with reservations essential, on alternate evenings.

Happy and relieved to learn it's not what we've been led to believe.

Edited by Nigella

I think that has to be the first time I've seen Tesco and Seabourn mentioned together;)

The sad reality of coming back home after 2 weeks on Sojourn.

It's funny listening to people moan and groan, sometimes justified, most times not when we are dealing with land based reality having just stepped out from the Seabourn bubble.

However we cut & slice it my roast lamb lunch in the pub yesterday wasn't a patch on the last 2 weeks. We could have popped down to the Waterside in Bray - well we couldn't because they won't have any tables available, but lunch would have come to just under our per diem cabin rate.

One thing that hasn't been talked about is the hassle of booking a table with any of the land based cooking gods. The great thing about having them on board is the ability to dip in and dip out with relative ease.

Even if TK is limited to R2 you will be guaranteed at least one visit per cruise / week. With TK dishes on the main dining room or colonnade menu you opportunity increases to a level unimaginable on dry land.

I appreciate we are not "special" friends of any of the household name chefs, merely punters who try in vain to book.

By comparison we haven't even scratched the surface of the Seabourn loyalty programme but get plenty of love.

Able Seaman H,

I like the idea of stress-free and assured reservations at R2, now and for the TK food.

And I like the word guaranty which you used in asserting that everyone could have a go and get in there during a week's cruise.

Has Seabourn confirmed this somewhere? It doesn't work that way now at R2 where some people book up the place meaning that other later bookers are excluded. And that is not fair or smart, in my opinion.

Happy cruising!

Able Seaman H,

I like the idea of stress-free and assured reservations at R2, now and for the TK food.

And I like the word guaranty which you used in asserting that everyone could have a go and get in there during a week's cruise.

Has Seabourn confirmed this somewhere? It doesn't work that way now at R2 where some people book up the place meaning that other later bookers are excluded. And that is not fair or smart, in my opinion.

Happy cruising!

I have no doubt in my mind that with 3 or 4 days of my cruise remaining I would be able to eat in R2 had I not dined in there so far in the cruise.

The square would be my first port of call and I suspect they would arrange it, if necessary taking my details and getting back to me if no bookings were immediately available.

Failing that the hotel director was ever present during our recent 2 weeks on Sojourn and I know he would do what ever was required. As an absolute last resort I could even envisage a quiet table in the corner of the Colonnade with R2 food.

As things stand R2 is under used and so multiple bookings are taken. I would imagine as and when TK takes over (are we certain R2 is a TK menu?), those looking to block book will have a rude awakening. Good friends of the company may well get first dibs on any late availability for return visits but SB will want to ensure everyone who want it gets at least one sitting.

Seabourn aren't going out of their way to upset people contrary to what soe on here would have you believe.