Epic - dinner credit and gratuities/tips questions

monkeyspot

hello, im a new cruiser and will be boarding on Nov 15. I'm very confused on the following questions and would like to hear your comments

1. upon making the reservation, i have 50 credit per person as dinning credit. since i just made the changes of this offer, I noticed the specialty dining which was ie 30 per person now shows as 0 when i make the reservation. however, even after I made the second specialty reservation, i am expected to pay the extra after deduction from the credit. how come there is no payment due at the time of booking?

2. do i need to cancel the special dinning reservation if i decided not to go? will they charge me?

3. the 13.50 is so called gratuities for daily service charge and do I have an option not to pay extra tips? I have reading lots of bad comments for the dinning service and would like to tip depends on their service.

4. since i only get an inside cabin, i don't expect five stars service for room steward. shld i tip them first day on board so that they will clean up my room better?

5. shld I tip cash in euro or USD?

6. anything particular I shld do it right away after get on board?

thank you in advance for reading and replying my questions.

2. You must cancel or change specialty restaurant reservations at least 24 hours in advance.

3. The daily service charge (DSC) is customary and goes to crew directly and indirectly involved with serving you and is not "Extra Tip". As a frequent cruiser, I would recommend just paying the DSC. If you choose, after your cruise is over and you have paid the DSC, you can send a request in to NCL for a refund.

4. Your cabin steward is included in the DSC and no additional tip is required unless you feel they provided exceptional service and you can provide them with extra tip at the end of the cruise.

5. If your cruise is out of a US port, tip in dollars. If your cruise is out of a European port, you could do either.

6. Once on board, look at the week's schedule of activities (left in your stateroom). Check for any conflicts with your pre-booked activities (dinners, shows) and work to deconflict immediately. And make any additional reservations you want. Large ships (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway) will have additional shows that can only be booked once you are on the ship.

You may be able to use in the main dining room. It's a free dining room but they just added up charges for prime rib and some other items. The up charge is $14.95 per person for prime rib. It's a 16 oz cut. Not sure if its a better grade than what they previously served for free but the previous free mdr prime rib was very good and I would say 16 oz portion.

If you dine in speciality restaurant you will be charged 18% gratuity because the servers there don't partake in the DSC but the MDR servers do partake in DSC so in theory you don't need to pay 18% on orders there. Typically though as they add on charges and fees they make up new rules around them so don't bank on ability to use in this manner, have 18% omitted for a MDR up charge item.

If the $50 dining credit can be used in MDR you could order prime rib 3 nights and have partner order a free MDR item/ share. Another option is surf and turf in MDR for $24.95 so worth two orders.

Idk if the dining credit can be used this way either but wonder if you can use for room service $7.95 charge?

3. The daily service charge (DSC) is customary and goes to crew directly and indirectly involved with serving you and is not "Extra Tip". As a frequent cruiser, I would recommend just paying the DSC. If you choose, after your cruise is over and you have paid the DSC, you can send a request in to NCL for a refund. ...

You can only make the request for a refund if you have gotten the appropriate form from Guest Services while you were aboard the ship and send your request on that form after the cruise, giving the reason for your request.

Edited by NMLady

You can only make the request for a refund if you have gotten the appropriate form from Guest Services while you were aboard the ship and send your request on that form after the cruise, giving the reason for your request.

thanks. I don't think it is good to ask for refund of the gratuities....even some service are not good, most crew deserve their gratuities.

hello, im a new cruiser and will be boarding on Nov 15. I'm very confused on the following questions and would like to hear your comments

1. upon making the reservation, i have 50 credit per person as dinning credit. since i just made the changes of this offer, I noticed the specialty dining which was ie 30 per person now shows as 0 when i make the reservation. however, even after I made the second specialty reservation, i am expected to pay the extra after deduction from the credit. how come there is no payment due at the time of booking?

2. do i need to cancel the special dinning reservation if i decided not to go? will they charge me?

3. the 13.50 is so called gratuities for daily service charge and do I have an option not to pay extra tips? I have reading lots of bad comments for the dinning service and would like to tip depends on their service.

4. since i only get an inside cabin, i don't expect five stars service for room steward. shld i tip them first day on board so that they will clean up my room better?

5. shld I tip cash in euro or USD?

6. anything particular I shld do it right away after get on board?

thank you in advance for reading and replying my questions.

you sound a little negative from the outset -

for instance having an inside doesn't mean your steward will do a worse job. They will do the same high quality job as the do for the balconies or outside cabins. I find room stewards work well regardless of tip on NCL anyway - I've always had a fantastic job done, and if deserved I will also fill in a comments card for that particular room steward, rather than extra tips. If a tip is provided its always at the end.

I haven't had bad experience in the main dining rooms with servers. SOmetimes slow, but never to an extent I have issues.

Remember people who have a bad experience are likely to complain and review online, those who have a fabulous time often don't review.

Also I don't tip regularly, except if a crew member shows exceptional service. On NCL I find the staff don't work for tips across the board - this includes the bar staff, restaurant staff and room steward.

thanks . since I am front Canada, should I pay it online now with good exchange rate or pay it on board? any idea if I could get a better exchange rate?

So the answer is,,,,, do what ever is cheaper.

When you say "pay it on board", I assume that you me charge it to your room and use the exact same credit card at the end of your voyage to pay your bill. If the exchange rate is exactly the same at the end of your cruise (11/8), it does not matter.

If you are talking about possibly using cash to settle your account, the exchange rate on your credit card would be better than the cash exchange rate on board the ship.

When we went in May, the online USD-CDN rate was the best rate, so we saved a lot by prepaying in CDN. Once you are on the ship everything is in USD. So if you pay with a credit card, you will pay at the prevailing credit card rate.

When we went in May, the online USD-CDN rate was the best rate, so we saved a lot by prepaying in CDN. Once you are on the ship everything is in USD. So if you pay with a credit card, you will pay at the prevailing credit card rate.

thanks. this is good to hear. i better prepay online now since its around 1.12.