Anyone else frustrated with their SO?

p0mpey

How many of you out there wish your significant other shared your excitement for cruising and travel in general? My DH never, and I mean never says anything about our trip until, if we are lucky, the night before we leave. He just doesn't show any enthusiasm, excitement or anything. He goes, he enjoys it and then we are home and nothing. On the other hand, I booked our 10/15/05 cruise back in January and ever since then I have been on CC every day, counting the months, then weeks and now days to the cruise. When we get back I will be saying for a long time "this time last week we were*.." "This time 3 weeks ago we were**" I just can't understand not getting excited about it. I would love to have one or two cruises booked to look forward to and although he wouldn't stop me from going ahead and booking for next year it is just not the same when it is so one sided.

He also doesn't like it when I see places on TV and say " I would love to go

there" He says that I am always dissatisfied which is not true I just have dreams.

The good side about it though is that he lets me go away with friends or the

kids and never says anything. I don't think I would let him go without me so

graciously.

I guess I am not really complaining.....well, yes I am. However I guess it is a

good job he is like he is, as we couldn't afford to travel as much as I would

like to. But a little interest would be so nice.

Anyone else share my frustrations?

Only 16 days until we will be on NOS...YEA!:)

I'm with you 100%. My SO thinks I'm crazy for the way I'm on the boards and rci's web site all the time. Iam booked on the explorer for 5/19/06 and I can't wait. He gets annoyed when I even mention it. I need these boards to keep me sain. You are not alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I chuckled when I read your post because I am like you. I constantly think and dream about travel, subscribe to travel magazines, love cruise critic and read all kinds of reviews on trip advisor just for the fun of it. I plan every last detail, compare all options and live, sleep and breathe travel stuff. It is fun and exciting! I dream of all the places I want to go even if it may be decades before I get there. Although DH always loves the vacations and has some input with the planning, he doesn't really think about it until a few days before we go and doesn't really want to talk about it too much before then. He tells me I am OBSESSED.

Oh my god, we live parallel lives. My partner won't even let me talk about it to him until a week before the cruise, and we have until 10/01/06 on the Freedom. You can imagine my excitment about going on a brand new ship, and I am here every day and checking rccl.com everyday for updates to the ship. I go to bed at night thinking about it, and he just won't share in my excitment. And them after the cruise, I am always so excited at the great time we had, and he just says "Yeah, it was fun". But look at the bright side. Since we are the ones who get so excited long before the vacation, we are the ones who always get to plan the vacation. If you don't share in my excitement then you get no part in the planning.

How many of you out there wish your significant other shared your excitement for cruising and travel in general? My DH never, and I mean never says anything about our trip until, if we are lucky, the night before we leave. He just doesn't show any enthusiasm, excitement or anything. He goes, he enjoys it and then we are home and nothing. On the other hand, I booked our 10/15/05 cruise back in January and ever since then I have been on CC every day, counting the months, then weeks and now days to the cruise. When we get back I will be saying for a long time "this time last week we were*.." "This time 3 weeks ago we were**" I just can't understand not getting excited about it. I would love to have one or two cruises booked to look forward to and although he wouldn't stop me from going ahead and booking for next year it is just not the same when it is so one sided.

there" He says that I am always dissatisfied which is not true I just have dreams.

graciously.

I won't try to psychoanalyze or anything, but I sympathize completely. My ex was just the same. He knew what a travel nut I am before we got married, and we discussed the fact that yearly vacations were non-negotiable. He agreed, we got married, and suddenly he isn't interested in going anywhere. That's part of the reason he's my EX ;) Actually, it was just a symptom of a much bigger incompatabilty problem. I am now married to a man who loves to travel just as much as I do. Trouble is we can't seem to find enough money to go every other week as we'd like to! :D

I also have a husband that likes to vacation but doesn't really care for all of the build up that I do. I can't get him to plan another cruise in the near future or at all but I still read this forum everyday!!!!!

Is this apathy a "guy thing"? My DH thinks I'm nuts because I enjoy researching future cruises and other trips. He doesn't want to get involved, and if I ask if he's looking forward to a trip he says it's too far away (3 days) to get excited. He does enjoy himself once we're underway, and when we get home he tells people about the trip and how much fun it was. He just doesn't know how to savor the anticipation.

My DH isn't nearly as bad as you all describe, but I do wish he enjoyed cruising more. He'd just rather be hiking to exotic locations rather than sharing the journey with 100's of annoying strangers:p. But, he has to admit that it is so much more relaxing than when we take the kids anywhere else!

Barb

LOL, I was informed the other night that if he has to hear about our cruise daily for the next 398 days, we are going to cancel :eek: Our first cruise together was 8 years ago, he said he could handle one every 7 years or so....We cruised in 2004, 2005 and have 2006 booked, I think he starting to like cruising, just not talking about it constantly :D

###

I guess I'm pretty lucky because my DH is always interested in whatever I have to say about future cruises, or any vacation. I subscribe to Porthole and Cruise Travel magazines, and he always reads them. He is a firm believer in booking early - we booked Radiance 15 months ahead and Freedom 22 months ahead. I am the one, though, who thinks about it more. I guess I am obsessed with cruising - its my favorite type of vacation, but there are much worse things to be obsessive about.

Joan

I guess I'm pretty lucky because my DH is always interested in whatever I have to say about future cruises, or any vacation. I subscribe to Porthole and Cruise Travel magazines, and he always reads them. He is a firm believer in booking early - we booked Radiance 15 months ahead and Freedom 22 months ahead. I am the one, though, who thinks about it more. I guess I am obsessed with cruising - its my favorite type of vacation, but there are much worse things to be obsessive about.

Joan

I think I may have almost the oppsoite in my DH, he talks about cruising quite often. He will say things like "last week we were in .... or I wonder who has our cabin this week..... or can you imagine next week we will be in......"

He has always been excited about each cruise and he is really excited about our Hawaii cruise in May '06. :D

Well, you would think my DH is not interested, since he only listens to what I have to say about it and never has much of a reply.

Then, he will come home and ask me to look up info for clients or co-workers about cruises. He has told me more than once a client decides to take a cruise somewhere because of what he says about it.

DH doesn't believe me when I tell him I bellieve cruising is cheaper than a land vacation. He enjoyed our trip on Mariner, but did not show much excitement before or after the trip. He was the same even for our wedding... (4/27/05)

Was just sorta what ever I want.. not much help with input... and I want to schedule another trip with him.. still not interested, really...he does not feel it is wise to spend the money... so guess what.. I booked a trip for my daughter and I, He gets to stay home with the other (youngest) daughter...

So if he doesn't wanna go... Oh, Well... :)

Add me to the list! We are honeymooning next June...it was the third thing I planned after church and reception site because I was so excited. He likes to travel, but if I had a nickle for every time I've said in the last five months, "why aren't you excited?", I'd be able to take another trip without him! He, too, thinks I am crazy for the amount of time I spend online researching or here. From time to time he'll say, "I can't wait to be on the cruise." But, I know this is just how he is...of course he is looking forward to it, especially since it is the honeymoon, he's just not a get all excited type of guy. So thank goodness for everyone here to share it with me! Great post, nice to know I am not alone. :)

I am single and travel with my son. I took him on his first cruise in 2004 for his 18th BD and his graduation, we have been on 3 cruises since then and have one in January and the kid never ever talks about them before we go. He does not even consider packing until the night before. He loves to cruise and vacation but just like all the men you are discribing here, he does not get overly excited like I do. I start to rock amd moan like Rainman if I don't have a cruise booked!

I guess there are a lot of people out there with the same problem. My SO loves to travel and enjoys going to different places (included cruises), but isn't excited until we're actually on the way there. It's difficult to get him to plan trips, but I've just learned to do all the planning and know that he'll have a good time. I have a trip planned for next November and I wouldn't even dream of telling him until well into next year...he'd think I"m crazy for planning so far in advance.

It's not just cruises and vacation, though. He's just not a planner...it's more fun for him to be spontaneous and do something fun and unexpected at the last minute.

Sounds like my husband. I do all the booking and all the planning and he just tags along. He loves to travel but with work and going to school at night just doesn't have time. But I work 40+ and go to school as well and fine time :confused:

We are leaving a week from tomorrow on the Sovereign and I don't even think he knows what ports we are going to.

I also have us booked on HAL Maasdam for next year and he knows that we have a suite only because he keeps hearing me worry about the pricing error from HAL and whether or not our price will be honored. Luckily they are honoring my price - but he doesn't even know where, when, or anything else about that cruise.

We just did 16 days in Hawaii in May/June and he didn't ask what are plans were until after we got on our connecting flight in Chicago.

I had to laugh when I read your post -- just LAST NIGHT my DH asked me why I'm always on cruise critic when we don't even have any cruises planned! He CLEARLY doesn't get it! I truly believe a lot of the fun of the trip is the anticipation and planning. He enjoys the actual cruise and the fun excursions that have been planned, researched, & stressed over.....but just doesn't understand the rest! I'm with you girls!

Well, here's a different side to the story. My DW loves to cruise, but I do most of the planning as cruising has become a passion. I work hard, and enjoy looking forward to the next cruise. My DW doesn't become excited about it till a few weeks out, then starts shopping for cruising gear. She likes to start packing a week before, I like to start shortly before the night before, and it drives her nuts. We both talk about our past cruises. So for all of you DW's that can't seem to get the DH excited, what a bummer!!:eek: :D

Rick

My husband is exactly the same - I plan everything - way in advance - he just needs to pay & show up. He does think I'm obsessed always researching every little bit about our cruises (and other vacations). He just doesn't get excited like I do. I'm always planning my next vacation before I'm even done with the current vacation. Love to travel. Not enough time to do it.

I sympathize totally.

I had to drag him on our first cruise and after that they have been an easy sell. He even said this year that he enjoys them much better than our rescent AI vacation.

But he just doesn't get excited about the long range planning I love to do. :cool:

That's OK, I know I have an obsession but it is nothing cruise critic can't cure!! At least I can get him to help make decisions about excursios and such.

As a male I do all the pre cruise work, mostly because I love doing it.

DW says "can't we ever do anything differant than cruising"?

She has selective memory. I love to travel and take her to Vegas and so much more besides cruising.

I have the perfect solution to my problem. I simply remind her that I'm paying for it out of my money and that solves it.

Glen

graciously.

I have a very simple solution for your problem, just divorce him and find some one who is just like you. then everything will be OK. now back to reality you say your husband enjoys the cruise, lets you go with your friends and kids and never says anything, and you are complaining about it. If my wife naged me all the time and complained that I did not share her enthusiasm about something that she liked, I would probally just tell her that everyone has different ways of enjopying themselves.

Just for the record I did have a wife who naged me all the time about things, and that is why she is now a X-Wife, my new lovely bride of 7 years never gives me a hard time about my intrests that are different than hers.

Bob

Archived