Duty free liquor prices

It's going to depend quite a lot on what liquor prices are like where you live. Also, the bottle sizes are often different from what is available "back home," e.g., they will be full liters, whereas here in PA where I live, most liquor is sold in 750 ml or 1.75 ml bottles.

I've seen some decent prices at duty-free shops, both on board ship and in airports. Compared to my local prices, it can be a 10% to 25% savings, which is not bad, but then I have to factor in getting it back home via air travel.

We live in a county where there are a lot of taxes on alcohol. An example is Absolut Vodka is about $28 a liter here and about $14 a liter on board (at least a year or so ago).

Also, Royal Caribbean will "price match." So if you find a bottle cheaper in port, if you can document that, they will match the price. I did that once using my cell phone to snap a picture of the price, and they honored it.

Depending where you go, I have found that on board prices are about as good or better than most Caribbean ports. However in St. Thomas, go to A.H. Reese. They've always had great prices and a great selection. You order on a pad, they box it and deliver it to the ship for you. I've bought there many times and it's always been flawless.

We live in a county where there are a lot of taxes on alcohol. An example is Absolut Vodka is about $28 a liter here and about $14 a liter on board (at least a year or so ago).

Also, Royal Caribbean will "price match." So if you find a bottle cheaper in port, if you can document that, they will match the price. I did that once using my cell phone to snap a picture of the price, and they honored it.

Depending where you go, I have found that on board prices are about as good or better than most Caribbean ports. However in St. Thomas, go to A.H. Reese. They've always had great prices and a great selection. You order on a pad, they box it and deliver it to the ship for you. I've bought there many times and it's always been flawless.

Did you mean A H Riise:

http://www.ahriise.com/

If you want a comparison between port stores pricing and the ship's, we just got off from B2B cruises on Freedom so did both the eastern and western routes. Alcohol was cheaper at all of the port stores we were in in St. Thomas, St. Martin, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Even Falmouth was cheaper but not by much in the terminal complex. It was cheaper to buy at outside the terminal stores there.

We got two litres of Crown Royal Cdn whisky in St. Maarten with a bonus free 375ml of Bailey's Irish cream for $34US. Price onboard for 2 litres of Crown Royal was $39 and ship only has litre bottles of Bailey's so couldn't provide the free bottle. Also got a litre of Virgin Island rum on St. Thomas, at Pueblo supermarket near Havensight terminal, for $3.49. Cheapest on board was $22 for two litres of Bacardi. One was $15. I drink rum with cola so don't need brand name rum. Most port do not allow photos to be taken in their stores because they know it is for onboard price guaranty use.

Beside that all four bootles of the above and a $4 bottle of French brandy, 4 bottles of wine and a liter of coconut rum got through security when in our backpacks. We were 3 couple travelling together. If you buy onboard it is held until last evening. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

In general, prices are cheaper in the Islands as compared to what you can get at home.

However there are a couple things to think about prior to your cruise.

1. Look at prices at your local stores.

2. Are you flying, you will need to consider if you are willing to risk breakage in your check-in baggage. There are ways to minimize this, some are fairly simple

As an example to number 1. I knew I wouldn't hit my limit and I knew a co-worker who liked a particular brand/age of scotch. Before the cruise, I asked if he would like me to price out the same bottle during the cruise. He said sure. During the cruise I emailed him the ship's price. He said that is a good deal. As we hit the ports, I checked the liquor stores. I was able to save my coworker an additional dollar. However I had the ship board price as my back up.

In regards to number 2. We normally travel by car as we are local to most Fl cruise ports, so I make a blanket offer to my co-workers, friends, in-laws, as I am willing to lug it off the ship and into our car. If we had to fly, I wouldn't be as generous, but would make the effort for a couple of special ones.

Duty free on ship or shore can be a bargain, it helps to know your prices, got a excellent deal on 3 liter bottles on Johnny walker gold on last cruise, also remember cruise ships are liter bottles not 750 and also no sales tax. I like getting things that are not sole in USA such as Hennessey white

Since I generally fly to cruise, it has to be a soecual bottle to get me to want to pack it. With that bring said, it's always good to have an idea of what stuff costs at home. In Mexico at tourist duty free shops I've rarely seen great tequila deals, for example.