Ubp

megann831

I got the beverage package in the spring when I thought it really was free. Now that I'm on board they're charging for tax. Does that sound right?

Wouldn't it be more prudent to actually ask the bartender who served you your drink this question!

I'm confused...if you have the UBP and get a drink while the cruise is in port, there's a tax (not the service charge you prepay when you get the UBP as a promo )??? Only in port in nyc or also when in Port Canaveral and nassau??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I'm confused...if you have the UBP and get a drink while the cruise is in port, there's a tax (not the service charge you prepay when you get the UBP as a promo )??? Only in port in nyc or also when in Port Canaveral and nassau??

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

If there's a local tax on drinks, yes, you are charged.

We didn't pay any taxes on drinks while on the Getaway in Miami last year prior to sail away and had pre purchased the UBP. Not did we pay taxes on drinks while docked in any port during the cruise. Something is missing here because we have never paid taxes on drinks with a beverage package.

Edited by cruisecrazy82

We never were charged tax with the UBP in March on the breakaway. Others without the package paid tax.

There is a difference between tax and service charge. Service charges (18%) are included in the beverage package price. However if you get drinks while in certain Ports, there will be a small tax that will be added to your bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to hear if this tax is charged on the ships out of Miami at this time as it was not the case last December. Was a new law imposed in regards to charging the sales tax? Or is this just hit or miss? We had pre purchased the UBP last year and had several drinks while still docked in Miami and were never billed for any sales taxes. Curious about it for our upcoming Escape cruise as we once again will have the UBP.

Edited by cruisecrazy82

I'm not an accountant, but if your drink is free and the beverage package was free. 0 x?% should = $0.00.

How are the drinks showing up on your bill? Does the receipt show $0 or the price of each drink and then they take it off the bill?

I know it is insignificant, just wondering. Also wondering if the tax is really being remitted to the government. If it is being zeroed out, would they pay tax on $0.00?

I'd be interested to hear if this tax is charged on the ships out of Miami at this time as it was not the case last December. Was a new law imposed in regards to charging the sales tax? Or is this just hit or miss? We had pre purchased the UBP last year and had several drinks while still docked in Miami and were never billed for any sales taxes. Curious about it for our upcoming Escape cruise as we once again will have the UBP.

I can't speak for Miami but while docked in NY there is a state tax but it is really small. You shouldn't even worry about it. Something like 50-80 cents per drink.

I can't speak for Miami but while docked in NY there is a state tax but it is really small. You shouldn't even worry about it. Something like 50-80 cents per drink.

I'm not worried about it but did not experience being charged sales tax while sailing from Miami in the past. We had absolutely no bill for sales taxes on drinks while consuming drinks when docked in Miami. If they were added to the drinks we ordered with the UBP they must have zeroed out the whole amount because we weren't billed any charges on that cruise outside of the pictures we purchased on board. I still have the final bill and no charges for sales tax at all.

I'm not an accountant, but if your drink is free and the beverage package was free. 0 x?% should = $0.00.

How are the drinks showing up on your bill? Does the receipt show $0 or the price of each drink and then they take it off the bill?

I know it is insignificant, just wondering. Also wondering if the tax is really being remitted to the government. If it is being zeroed out, would they pay tax on $0.00?

I honestly don't recall seeing any tax charges on the drink receipts. The gratuity was there as well as a line to add additional gratuity but I just can't recollect seeing a sales tax charge on them. The drink amounts are indeed on the receipt along with the gratuity that is automatically added but the actual drink charge simply never showed up as a actual charge to our ship board account.

Even when you get something for free you still pay tax on the regular price of the item. Yes they will give you a receipt that shows the price of the drink, the price of the 18% gratuity and tax if I certain ports. Then when it hits your account it will zero out the price of the drink and 18% gratuity but your account will be charged for anything else remaining. Like if you tipped extra or if there was tax or if your drink was more than the $15 limit of the package.

Even when you get something for free you still pay tax on the regular price of the item. Yes they will give you a receipt that shows the price of the drink, the price of the 18% gratuity and tax if I certain ports. Then when it hits your account it will zero out the price of the drink and 18% gratuity but your account will be charged for anything else remaining. Like if you tipped extra or if there was tax or if your drink was more than the $15 limit of the package.

If this is indeed accurate then they apparently don't charge any sales tax in Miami. I know that for the first maybe hour or so that we were on the Getaway (we were on board by 12) they were hand writing receipts at the bars but they said it was bc the system was down which was back up and running before we sailed. It would make sense if they were hand writing the receipts to enter once in international waters but that was very short lived and we were being given the regular printed receipts before sail away. So strange that it's not more consistent [emoji57]lol

Edited by cruisecrazy82

Taxes are charged in Miami. If you have any OBC it will offset the tax charge. That is how it worked for me a few weeks ago.