What to do with a butler on Britannia??

Carlykins

Hi all

We're joining Britannia on 20.11.15 and will be in a suite for the first time (special treat for my 50th!!). I understand this entitles us to a butler but really not sure what this means or whether I'd really feel comfortable with this service.

I'd be really interested to hear what you have used a butler for and whether or not you found this to be particularly beneficial.

Would also be interested in how you've experienced suite perks generally on Britannia.

Many thanks

Carleen & James

You can ask him/her to unpack all your stuff and put it away in the wardrobes and cupboards.

Check that suits etc. are not all creased and ask for these to be ironed or pressed as required.

Ask what they normally do and whether he/she has any recommendations.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi all

We're joining Britannia on 20.11.15 and will be in a suite for the first time (special treat for my 50th!!). I understand this entitles us to a butler but really not sure what this means or whether I'd really feel comfortable with this service.

I'd be really interested to hear what you have used a butler for and whether or not you found this to be particularly beneficial.

Would also be interested in how you've experienced suite perks generally on Britannia.

Many thanks

Carleen & James

Hello,

I had a Butler on Britannia earlier this year.

I'm without Internet access at home at present so it's difficult for me to post a full response. I will respond properly tomorrow when back at work!

I would say that overall compared to other cruise lines the "perks" aren't that significant with P&O however we tend 2 book a suite when we can mainly for the extra space as we do spend a bit of time in our suite & on our own balcony.

Which suite have you got? Forward, midship or aft?

Joan

Hi Joan

We're B510 which is midship I think. Look forward to hearing more from you tomorrow.

It was the idea of a bit more space that was the main reason for going for a suite - so any other perks will just be a bonus I guess.

Hi all

Many thanks

Carleen & James

Morning Carleen & James,

Wow it's great to be a work & have internet access!

I've trawled through my emails & have found this I posted previously, which gives you some idea of the sort of things your Butler will do for you. I have posted my comments alongside: -

1. The packing and unpacking of your luggage. (We have never taken him up on this service!)

2. Booking salon or spa treatments on your behalf, providing an appointment is available.

3. Arranging pre-dinner cocktail parties. A list of canapés is placed in your cabin for such events. (Whilst sailing on Azura a couple of years ago, members of my Husband’s bowls club were on the same cruise so we were going to ask the Butler to do this. It would have been the first time we would have done so, but on that particular cruise we had a midship suite on Azura & found that the balcony wasn’t big enough for the number of people we wanted to invite. We have subsequently only booked aft suites as the balconies tend to be bigger.)

4. Ordering a cake or flowers for a special occasion. Sufficient notice will need to be given for this. (I will be asking him to do this for me next year)

5. Supplying a range of in-cabin meals, from a light snack to a full meal with fine wines. (This is a service we use regularly. There is no charge for this or indeed for ordering items that would normally attract a charge on the room service menu. I would suggest that you order room service through your Butler by paging him as opposed to dialing room service as that way they will ensure you are not charged. You can order breakfast, lunch or dinner. We had dinner on our huge balcony on Oceana in 2009 when leaving Roma but didn’t avail ourselves of the balcony dinner option on Azura as the balcony isn’t really big enough)

6. Laundry services. (We have not used this service)

7. Reception services such as cashing cheques, registering your credit card, exchanging currency and buying stamps, etc. (One day we were chatting with the Butler when he saw postcards on the table & asked if we wanted him to buy the stamps & post them for us. I said I was just on my way to Reception to do it but he said no, leave it to him & he’d be glad to. I felt I was being lazy as I could certainly have walked down to Reception myself, however, he really wanted to do it!)

8. Shoe shine service. (We have not used this service)

9. Arranging the personalisation of your cabin stationery. (There is normally some writing paper printed with your name etc on it in the suite but whilst I have used this I have never asked for anything different or for it to be amended)

10. Booking any chosen Shore Excursions (We normally do these on line beforehand but would use the Butler to do so, although again I could walk to Excursions Desk & do it myself. When we went to the Fjords last year I did see a Butler in the queue in the train station in Flam booking tickets for his passengers)

11. Providing you with a complimentary newspaper in the ports of call where they are available. (We have not used this service)

12. Making reservations for dinner in one of the themed or alternative dining venues on board - space permitting. (We have not used this service)

13. Obtaining Library books & DVS's etc (We had a bumpy crossing one day on Oceana & I wasn’t feeling too good so we asked him to get us a couple of films so we could stay in the suite & relax. In addition to bringing the DVD’s he also very kindly bought me a couple of sea sickness bags without asking & took considerable time asking if I was OK & if there was anything else at all he could do for me)

In addition to the above, if you are travelling from Southampton ....

Priority Embarkation - just make sure you tell the Ladies standing at the front desk that you are in a suite & they should have your names on a list. You will then be taken to the “Priority Embarkation Desk” once embarkation commences.

Priority Embarkation Lounge on board – depending on what time you arrive at the ship you will be invited a separate lounge / venue whereby you can enjoy a glass of Bucks Fizz etc & some sandwiches or in some cases now a full lunch menu ~ I think it depends on which ship you are travelling on as to which venue is used.

When on Oceana our Butler came & met us here & took us to our suite. However, on Britannia, because there are so many suites we made our own way to the suite when it was ready & met our Butler later on.

Priority Disembarkation – this used to be a 'perk' but I believe it may have been withdrawn. However, if you want a specific disembarkation time ask your Butler & he will arrange it for you.

Priority Embarkation for tenders at tender ports – cards are placed in your suite which you can show to jump the queue & get on a tender (once the tours have left).

Exclusive access to the Epicuran Restaurant for breakfast.

To be honest we don't make use of our Butler every day, but it's nice to know he's there if there is something special we want arranged like dinner on the balcony.

I hope this gives you some idea & if you have any further questions please ask & I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Have a wonderful cruise & birthday.

Joan

I think Joan has covered most points of what to expect from your butler. Like Joan we only have suites as they have so much more space and the Stern suites, particularly on Ventura, Azura, Arcadia and Oceana have much bigger balconies on which to relax. Choose wisely though as some balconies are smaller than others and on V&Az there are obstructions on some.

Priority disembarkation is still available to suite passengers.

On the whole we have had some terrifically obliging butlers and the more they get to know you, the better the experience.

Although the butlers gratuity is included in the 'Tips' we always give ours a nice 'bung' at the end of the cruise, as we do the bedroom steward.

If a suite is in your budget I would certainly recommend it, it is your own sanctuary to relax in and often a private place to sunbathe if you wish and of course if the sun is right direction, perfect when going north.

Have a terrific time Carleen and James.

Vicky

Hi all

Many thanks

Carleen & James

We, like you, booked a suite as a one off several years ago. Spoilt us and we have not gone back to a balcony cabin since!

We were a bit worried as to what we would do with a butler. They will do as much or as little as you want.

We do not use the butler to unpack/pack because we would never find everything.

You can have any meal served from the MDR menu in your suite or on the balcony. We always have our breakfast served in the suite and very often lunch on a sea day.

The butler is responsible for keeping tea/coffee etc topped up and brings canapés and tops up fruit basket daily.

Booking speciality restaurants and excursions.

Will organise a drinks party in your suite ( not many people do this these days)

I have heard that some guests ask the butler to make their cocoa before bed. What next? Put their teeth in soak? Lol.

We have had a lot of different butlers, they are not intrusive. You get to know what time they will come in and you can always put up your 'do not disturb' sign.

As for the suite perks on P&O, we have found them reducing every trip. Other cruise lines offer much better perks, though not many offer a butler. I will try and remember what is left:

Priority embarkation, embarkation lounge serving champagne and a buffet, priority for tenders (butler will issue the cards), champagne, chocolates and an orchid in the cabin, larger toiletries pack, bathrobe and slippers. There is more balcony furniture, but the new furniture is not comfortable. No real steamers or loungers anymore.

Can't think of anything else. Enjoy your trip

Val

...... No real steamers or loungers anymore.

Val

I actually depends on which P&O ship and, location you have a suite Val. All P&O ships with stern balconies have loungers and, Azura and Ventura also have them midships. Not sure about Arcadia midships as have only been on the stern.

Take your point about being hooked on suites, once you go down that direction it is difficult to downsize to a cabin.

Oh! a good tip, as far as knowing when the butler is going to drop in on you, especially if one is in a state of undress, is him to ring beforehand. This works especially on Arcadia, because when the enter the suite the first thing they see in front of them is the bathroom and if the door is open!!!!!

Vicky

...... No real steamers or loungers anymore.

Val

I actually depends on which P&O ship and' date=' location you have a suite Val. All P&O ships with stern balconies have loungers and, Azura and Ventura also have them midships. Not sure about Arcadia midships as have only been on the stern.

Take your point about being hooked on suites, once you go down that direction it is difficult to downsize to a cabin.

Oh! a good tip, as far as knowing when the butler is going to drop in on you, especially if one is in a state of undress, is him to ring beforehand. This works especially on Arcadia, because when the enter the suite the first thing they see in front of them is the bathroom and if the door is open!!!!!

Vicky[/quote']

They have loungers on Arcadia side suites as the balconies are quite big.

I actually depends on which P&O ship and, location you have a suite Val. All P&O ships with stern balconies have loungers and, Azura and Ventura also have them midships. Not sure about Arcadia midships as have only been on the stern

Vicky

They have loungers on Arcadia side suites as the balconies are quite big.

We have not cruised this year, however, in 2014 the midships suites on Arcadia did not have loungers. They had 2 normal chairs and 2 chairs where the back adjusted slightly. Very uncomfortable. From what Daib is saying, this has changed. We complained bitterly on our last three cruises about the lack of comfort on the balcony and were told that there was not enough space for a lounger. Good to hear that P&O have listened.

Val

Thank you all so much for the information and advice :)

TBH I am just soooo excited to be going I can hardly think straight!!

Don't think I'll be asking Butler to unpack or make my bedtime cocoa but the idea of breakfast on the balcony definitely floats my boat :)

We'll take on board all your useful tips.

One other question ... any suggestions how to make my 50th birthday (a sea day) an extra special occasion on board??

Thanks xx

Thank you all so much for the information and advice :)

TBH I am just soooo excited to be going I can hardly think straight!!

Don't think I'll be asking Butler to unpack or make my bedtime cocoa but the idea of breakfast on the balcony definitely floats my boat :)

We'll take on board all your useful tips.

One other question ... any suggestions how to make my 50th birthday (a sea day) an extra special occasion on board??

Thanks xx

You (or should I say JAMES!) should let your Butler know it's your Birthday you never know he might decorate the suite for you. Also, assuming you don't mind the attention & are dining in the main dining room then I'm sure he'd arrange with the waiter staff for balloons etc to be placed on your table & that they would 'sing' to you.

If not & if you enjoy alternative food then you could consider booking a specialty restaurant for the evening or weather depending having a meal on your balcony.

Another suggestion which depends on two things 1) if you would enjoy it & 2) if they will do it on your cruise, is to book the 'behind the scenes tour'.

I understand it costs approx £75pp but from people who have done it they say it was a fantastic 3 - 4 hours seeing things you would not normally see. Places are limited so this is definitely something I would ask the Butler about on day 1 of the cruise & if you decided to do it, get him to book you on it.

We wanted to do it on our cruise in May but as it was only a 7 night cruise it wasn't advertised. We're on Britannia for 14 nights next September & it will be one of the first things we enquire about.

There is no guarantee it would be on your 50th Birthday though but you never know.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Joan