New Menus

PghCruiseGrrrl

I found this in a post on the Australia and New Zealand board

...More on the MDR - we had Anytime Dining - thanks to those here that recommended we switch - and just wanted a table for 2. First night we There are 3 new standing menu items from Curtis Stone - pork belly, a chicken and leek pie, and osso bucco. My pork belly was nice but the crackling was hard/chewy and inedible, if I wasn't in holiday mood it would have been sent back...
The menu items were initially rolled out in the Australian cruises on the Golden after she arrived there last month. There was no indication of what current items were deleted. Edited by IECalCruiser
New Information

Pork belly?? That is just gross.

Yep, as others have said, just bacon only not sliced in thin pieces. A lot of meat dishes potentially would be thought of as gross if their descriptions included exactly where they came from.:cool:

Edited by ar1950

Yep, as others have said, just bacon only not sliced in thin pieces. A lot of meat dishes potentially would be thought of as gross if their descriptions included exactly where they came from.:cool:

How well put on the location of different meat on a pig or cow. So all you bacon lovers be aware you are eating pork belly! Around here a lot of people like tripe - look it up.

While it may well be sliced into bacon, it is a beautiful dish in it's own right. It would be on the menu of most fine dining venues in this part of the world. ;)

I believe the Beverly Hillbillies liked pork belly, along with possum. Let's see what Curtis Stone would do with that.

Kinda of amusing to me, this week in the news... bacon and other deli meats where identified and red meat too as the worse things for people to eat, i.e from a health standpoint. These cured meats have historically been cheap to boot. Just another example of how cruises have reduced the value of what they are serving and what a great PR job they do making many passengers jumping to try new offerings. All the lines are the same, we cruise Cunard, Princess, Celebrity, HAL... when I read the MDR menu I rarely find something I really want to eat any more. Thank goodness I don't cruise for food.

Has anyone had a chance to try any of the new Curtis Stone menu offerings yet? If so do you have any pictures and what did you think?

I had the Chicken and Leek Pot Pie last week on the Golden which was very nice while another in our party had the pork belly which was similar tot he comments previously mentioned. They don't seem to have that one quite right yet.

For those who like to see the goodies on offer I do have a pic of the pot pie :)

cheers CJ

20151029_180033_zpsgdqx4oqi.jpg

20151029_180127_zpscwpxumvv.jpg

Kinda of amusing to me, this week in the news... bacon and other deli meats where identified and red meat too as the worse things for people to eat, i.e from a health standpoint. These cured meats have historically been cheap to boot. Just another example of how cruises have reduced the value of what they are serving and what a great PR job they do making many passengers jumping to try new offerings. All the lines are the same, we cruise Cunard, Princess, Celebrity, HAL... when I read the MDR menu I rarely find something I really want to eat any more. Thank goodness I don't cruise for food.

Please do a quick google search.

1) pork belly is not processed

2) the WHO has already backpedalled from the scare tactics in that latest release

3) the fact that the studies lump red meat and crap processed meat in together shows how the studies are flawed in the first place. It's mostly bad science and panic journalism.

That said, meat is getting very expensive and yes, I expect we will continue to see cheaper and cheaper cuts offered by the hospitality industry dressed up to be "fancy".

I jumped in to share my experience on the Golden to find it's already been quoted!

The pork belly dish isn't cured pork. It's a fairly common ingredient in Australia. Twice cooked (i.e. slow braised, then under the grill for the crackling) is lovely and works well with Asian flavours.

The Curtis Stone version was more traditional, served with some apple and potato.

My son complained that his chicken and leek pie had gristly meat, but he's a fusspot so I wouldn't take his review too seriously!