Holland America Line Unveils Suite Refurbishments, New Amenities

LauraS

We have sailed many times on HAL and usually sail in a Neptune Suite but on the last few cruises we were very disappointed with the condition of the suites. The entire suite needed updating and replacement of the furniture.

We pay for a suite and expect to have some luxury but that is not what we received. The bathrooms had outdated 1 inch floor tile that looks like a Motel 6. The TV was a small flat panel screen that you could not see unless you sat very close to the screen. These refurbishments are long overdue!

We started sailing with other cruise lines that have more up to date suites with marble floors in the bathrooms and more up to date furnishings. We pay a premium price for a suite and expect it to have some luxury features.

Wow. I like the interior colors and furniture updates, but DO NOT like the new layout. The bedroom area looks very small and does not give a feeling of spaciousness that I expect from a suite. The pictures from the new ship reinforce this feeling. We have a Signature Suite on an upcoming cruise in April. I will be unhappy if it looks like the new design and not the one we are expecting. Once this design is rolled out on more ships, we will no longer be booking this level of cabin.

I noticed in my copy of Mariner magazine received yesterday that the (Eurodam) suites have interactive televisions now. No mention of whether or not you can view your bill there like pretty much every other mainstream line out there. Wish HAL would get with the program.

Did you who have also sailed in suites which have already been equipped with the coffee machines ALSO suspect that rather than ALTRUISM on the company's part it is a way to sell more bottled water? The machine sits near the window, as far from running water as can be in any suite thus to make coffee a passenger, oh, EXCUSE me, HAL wants to call us "GUESTS" (YUKK!), has to get water from SOMEWHERE...so you BUY the water for the so-so coffee provided. Chris and I suspect that these coffee machines will lead to the eventual removal of the coffee machines from the Neptune Lounges...

I would like to see an economic analysis. How much does the coffee maker cost? What is the profit on a bottle of water? How many more bottles of water are sold because of the coffee makers? How long does the increased profit on water take to payback the cost of the coffee makers?

I suspect the coffee machines will remain in the Neptune lounge as long as those lounges remain popular. Really can't see people bringing their coffee with them to the lounge.

I would like to see an economic analysis. How much does the coffee maker cost? What is the profit on a bottle of water? How many more bottles of water are sold because of the coffee makers? How long does the increased profit on water take to payback the cost of the coffee makers?

I suspect the coffee machines will remain in the Neptune lounge as long as those lounges remain popular. Really can't see people bringing their coffee with them to the lounge.

(bold is mine) I agree. The coffeemaker in the Neptune Lounge makes better coffee. The coffeemaker in the suite is OK for a quick cup in the morning, especially if you're in an aft suite and don't want to trudge all the way to the lounge or wait for room service.

Wow. I like the interior colors and furniture updates, but DO NOT like the new layout. The bedroom area looks very small and does not give a feeling of spaciousness that I expect from a suite. The pictures from the new ship reinforce this feeling. We have a Signature Suite on an upcoming cruise in April. I will be unhappy if it looks like the new design and not the one we are expecting. Once this design is rolled out on more ships, we will no longer be booking this level of cabin.

and yet it seems for every person on here that doesn't like it because it seems compartmentalized (such as yourself) there's another user on here that doesn't like the Signature Suites as is on the other ships because "Webster's dictionary defines a suite as multiple areas, blah blah blah"

I think the fact they're trying something new is to be commended. How it works out in the real world will be found out in the next 1-2 months

I noticed in my copy of Mariner magazine received yesterday that the (Eurodam) suites have interactive televisions now. No mention of whether or not you can view your bill there like pretty much every other mainstream line out there. Wish HAL would get with the program.

Yes, Eurodam just got them in all rooms and I believe that's the plan for Oosterdam next month with the other ships to follow