Frank Del Rio: " . . . the emphasis will continue to be push prices up . . .

mianmike

Hi Don - yes, I did say that but not because I feel that mainstream passengers wear their caps backwards or the passengers are "less than" luxury cruisers. We really do not want to sail on large ships (Oceania's Riviera was a bit large for us) and prefer to sail with few, if any, children (been there - done that). While I do not want to go on a rant about children, I'll just say that children today are given more freedom to "be themselves" (i.e. yelling, running around the ship, playing with the elevators, etc.), without repercussions - not even a reminder that their behavior is not acceptable.

We did briefly consider sailing on NCL but was put off by the boards and also am not a fan of "class oriented" cruising.

We love cruising but also love land travel (which we did for a long time before we started cruising).

There is definitely one cruise that we would do on NCL....... one to Cuba with Mr. Del Rio on and his family on board -- just to see their faces when they return to their country after so many years. That would be very special.

Please excuse my ignorance. I did google 'class-oriented' and I don't understand what computer programming has to do with cruising?? That was all I can find regarding that terminology.

Assuming, computer programing is not what you meant, Can you explain what " class-orient" in reference to your statement means?

thank you kindly.

Edited by tiffygirl

Please excuse my ignorance. I did google 'class-oriented' and I don't understand what computer programming has to do with cruising?? That was all I can find regarding that terminology.

Assuming, computer programing is not what you meant, Can you explain what " class-orient" in reference to your statement means?

thank you kindly.

Kinda of makes it feel like she was typing with her nose up in the air? Remember, this is del rios BFF, at least in her mind. She also is the one who slammed NCL for having filthy ships , although she's never been on one.

Class oriented = someone who thinks they're better than others but really they're delusional.

Edited by janpo

thank you kindly.

She's referring to the suites / Haven on the NCL ships - which to outside point of view due to setup and fare amounts, look like separating of the classes / income groups.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

thank you kindly.

Sorry for not making myself clear. I have a strong belief that everyone should be treated the same on a cruise ship (and everywhere else). On Regent, for instance, no one knows or cares if you are in the top suite or the lowest cost suite. There are no "special areas" where only certain passengers can go. A "class" system on a ship is when there is special boarding for upper category passengers, special restaurants, special pools, etc. This is pretty normal on most cruise lines.

I understand that the size of your cabin/suite will be larger when you pay more and there will be in-suite amenities that are not offered to other guests. However, this is not something that is public -- it is confined to your suite. Regent does have special benefits (early on-line dining and excursions reservations) for passengers in certain suite levels and/or passengers at a certain loyalty level. Again, this is not something that you "see".

This is not a jealousy issue because we do book penthouse suites on Regent and do receive some benefits for it. However, when I'm in a restaurant, lounge or anywhere else on the ship, I want the same service and food as everyone else. Hope this makes sense.

NLH Arizona: Appreciate your post and find your encounter with unruly children on Crystal interesting. We also sail when school is in session and have encountered many polite children -- more than out of control children. The problem is that just a handful of out of control children can ruin a cruise which is why we avoid them.

I cannot help but make a comment about my own daughter. When she was young, she challenged everything, could be difficult to be around at times -- just not an easy child. However, she did not run (or walk) around restaurants or any other public place. She did lie down in a booth in a restaurant upon occasion but did not disrupt others. Despite her sometimes difficult attitude, she grew up to be a polite and caring young woman. Sometimes boundaries really help:)

Back to NCL - I learned to never to say "never". I once said that I would never sail on Oceania and have now sailed Oceania's Riviera twice. At the moment, we are booked through early 2017. We'll see what happens after that.

Edited by Travelcat2

No dog in this fight, but in the context of NCL I assume "class oriented" refers to the presence of the Haven and special privileges for higher paying guests.

Could be wrong.

Ok. Once i thought about more i came to that same conclusion. ..it took me a second. .then i remember QE2 separates you by class so im assumed the reference was the haven....

I had my Monday afternoon ahh haa moment.

Thanks you all for letting me know i was on track.

Ok. Once i thought about more i came to that same conclusion. ..it took me a second. .then i remember QE2 separates you by class so im assumed the reference was the haven....

I had my Monday afternoon ahh haa moment.

Thanks you all for letting me know i was on track.

After the "other" thread going on (I think you know which one I mean) I can see why you might have leapt to certain conclusions. :/

After the "other" thread going on (I think you know which one I mean) I can see why you might have leapt to certain conclusions. :/

LOL . that is why I asked first because I really was confused. I don't want to label anyone or assume anything. On a forum, its hard because a person may type one thing and mean another. So its best to ask, rather than to jump to conclusion and be wrong and looking crazy!! :D So I genuinely was trying to figure that one out. Apparently, im syrup slow this morning on my comprehension skills:D

Sorry for not making myself clear. I have a strong belief that everyone should be treated the same on a cruise ship (and everywhere else). On Regent, for instance, no one knows or cares if you are in the top suite or the lowest cost suite. There are no "special areas" where only certain passengers can go. A "class" system on a ship is when there is special boarding for upper category passengers, special restaurants, special pools, etc. This is pretty normal on most cruise lines.

I understand that the size of your cabin/suite will be larger when you pay more and there will be in-suite amenities that are not offered to other guests. However, this is not something that is public -- it is confined to your suite. Regent does have special benefits (early on-line dining and excursions reservations) for passengers in certain suite levels and/or passengers at a certain loyalty level. Again, this is not something that you "see".

This is not a jealousy issue because we do book penthouse suites on Regent and do receive some benefits for it. However, when I'm in a restaurant, lounge or anywhere else on the ship, I want the same service and food as everyone else. Hope this makes sense.

NLH Arizona: Appreciate your post and find your encounter with unruly children on Crystal interesting. We also sail when school is in session and have encountered many polite children -- more than out of control children. The problem is that just a handful of out of control children can ruin a cruise which is why we avoid them.

I cannot help but make a comment about my own daughter. When she was young, she challenged everything, could be difficult to be around at times -- just not an easy child. However, she did not run (or walk) around restaurants or any other public place. She did lie down in a booth in a restaurant upon occasion but did not disrupt others. Despite her sometimes difficult attitude, she grew up to be a polite and caring young woman. Sometimes boundaries really help:)

Back to NCL - I learned to never to say "never". I once said that I would never sail on Oceania and have now sailed Oceania's Riviera twice. At the moment, we are booked through early 2017. We'll see what happens after that.

Thanks for explanation. I now understand perfectly what you meant.:D

I will say that all the folks that I have met that were Haven guests, were the nicest and friendliest folks I have ever met. So its probably why I didn't connect the dots at first, because you don't have that "air of superiority" when you are onboard as you would a QE2. Everyone is the same [to me]. If I didn't know about the Haven amenities(rest, pool, lounge) I would assume everyone was "regular" do to the overall atmosphere of the ships.

I think NCL gets major points in that area for creating separation, but not separate, if that makes sense. But others may not agree.:D

Edited by tiffygirl

perditax, maywell and SuiteCruiser - you understood exactly what I meant:)

tiffygirl: I'm glad that you asked -- it is difficult to know where a person is coming from when reading a post. I do feel that Cunard ships have always been the most class-oriented.

Although Oceania is not overly class-oriented, their "Executive" and "Concierge" lounges are an example of what I dislike. At least half of the passengers cannot enter these lounges (they have coffee, snacks, a large screen television and a couple of computers). On top of that, there are glass doors that people look into and cannot enter. They also have early boarding for different cabin categories. Although Oceania passengers state that they do not let "regular" passengers sit on the side until 3:00 p.m. while some passengers board at 11:15 a.m., I believe in first come, first served.

janpo: Thanks- your post is a good example of what I was describing regarding some posters on the NCL board.

perditax, maywell and SuiteCruiser - you understood exactly what I meant:)

tiffygirl: I'm glad that you asked -- it is difficult to know where a person is coming from when reading a post. I do feel that Cunard ships have always been the most class-oriented.

Although Oceania is not overly class-oriented, their "Executive" and "Concierge" lounges are an example of what I dislike. At least half of the passengers cannot enter these lounges (they have coffee, snacks, a large screen television and a couple of computers). On top of that, there are glass doors that people look into and cannot enter. They also have early boarding for different cabin categories. Although Oceania passengers state that they do not let "regular" passengers sit on the side until 3:00 p.m. while some passengers board at 11:15 a.m., I believe in first come, first served.

janpo: Thanks- your post is a good example of what I was describing regarding some posters on the NCL board.

You do have a legitimate beef. I definitely understand where you are coming from. Is Oceania's elite lounges in public areas or is it like NCL where everything is only access through key card private entrance?? Just curious as to the setup.

For me, it effects me more with the airlines when I fly coach. When boarding the plane, I have to by pass all those people [first class] sitting in those big comfortable leather seats, roomy leg room, nice soft blankets awaiting. Some even having there first cocktail at 7am, with the [perceived] smirk on their faces, as if saying" it sucks to be you...enjoy coooach!"Even worse, I have those friends who like to update to let me know how much they are enjoying the admiral lounge while awaiting their flights:rolleyes:

So yea I agree with you COMPLETELY! Down with the classism's!!:D:D

You do have a legitimate beef. I definitely understand where you are coming from. Is Oceania's elite lounges in public areas or is it like NCL where everything is only access through key card private entrance?? Just curious as to the setup.

For me, it effects me more with the airlines when I fly coach. When boarding the plane, I have to by pass all those people [first class] sitting in those big comfortable leather seats, roomy leg room, nice soft blankets awaiting. Some even having there first cocktail at 7am, with the [perceived] smirk on their faces, as if saying" it sucks to be you...enjoy coooach!"Even worse, I have those friends who like to update to let me know how much they are enjoying the admiral lounge while awaiting their flights:rolleyes:

I think you are putting your own issues on to the faces of those in first class. I pay for those comfortable leather seats, the extra leg room, etc., which you can as well and I have never seen anyone with smirks on their faces or anyone looking down at those in coach. It would be like me saying that I have seen some (perceived) "I'm so jealous, because I can't afford to fly in first class" looks on some that pass through the first class cabin on the way to their coach seats, which I have never seen nor noticed. Edited by NLH Arizona

Jackie, a description is sometimes as good as a picture and better than explanations: In September, 2010, we sailed on NCL Jewel, 10 days from NYC to Quebec and back and points between. At that time, Jewel was one of the "Square Pants Sponge Bob" ships catering especially to kids. Once on board, we learned that on the previous cruise, from Miami to New York, there were over 400 kids. But, on the cruise previous to that, in the Caribbean, there were over 1,400 kids!

There were 13 well behaved kids on ours, never saw or heard them, only knew they were there because the staff told us. The cruise was (A) longer than 7 days; (B) at a time when kids are in school; © not in the Caribbean; and (D) out of the country for the most part.

We love kids, would take our grandkids on NCL in a heartbeat (took them on Carnival in 2010), would sail on a "kid's cruise" with our grandchildren. But, we're 75 years old, love to cruise for the relaxation and to let others serve us and really don't care to see or hear kids -- or loud college kids or partying Millennials -- on "our" cruises. It's entirely possible to do this on NCL if you wisely pick and choose the itinerary and time.

The food is not as "gourmet" as Oceania and Regent, but from what I've seen of the recent menus, it's getting there. That dismays me a bit, I'm a person of simple tastes and there are many times when I just want Mac 'n Cheese or BBQ Ribs or fake American Chinese, which would be perfect if prepared with the best ingredients and properly served, but that's getting harder to find.

So, as you said, never say "never". As a matter of fact, since our 2016 cruise calendar is pretty full, how about looking for something together in 2017? We've had lunch together but never sailed together, it could be fun. I'll be on the lookout for a suitably sedate and boring cruise ;) :cool:.

If someone wants to pay their money to be in first class, let them. It means nothing at all to me since it isn't my money paying for it;). DW and I just flew to Germany a couple of months ago and I must say that on the transatlantic flight I was a little envious of the seats that turn into beds in first class, evious enough to check into the price and :eek:. I'd rather save that money and spend it on a cruise:).

I think you are putting your own issues on to the faces of those in first class. I pay for those comfortable leather seats, the extra leg room, etc., which you can as well and I have never seen anyone with smirks on their faces or anyone looking down at those in coach. It would be like me saying that I have seen some (perceived) "I'm so jealous" looks on some that pass through the first class cabin on the way to their coach seats, which I have never seen nor noticed.

I would agree with you. Its my envy which is causing me too see things that are probably not their.

Yes you pay big, big dollars for first class and dont be ashamed of it.

However we were talking about class oriented things. I jokingly made my comment about me personally hating on the first class pax. I thought i was being fecious, but i guess not..lol i know full well how much is paid to live the first class life.

Im not expecting anyone to feel guilty or apologize for paying it. Why would i. You worked for it and if you want it, get it and enjoy it! Let me hate and live through you... *joke*

I would agree with you. Its my envy which is causing me too see things that are probably not their.

Yes you pay big, big dollars for first class and dont be ashamed of it.

However we were talking about class oriented things. I jokingly made my comment about me personally hating on the first class pax. I thought i was being fecious, but i guess not..lol i know full well how much is paid to live the first class life.

Im not expecting anyone to feel guilty or apologize for paying it. Why would i. You worked for it and if you want it, get it and enjoy it! Let me hate and live through you... *joke*

Who said I am ashamed of paying for first class; I very happy to be able to fly in either first class or coach, as long as I can go on a trip.

The Executive and Concierge lounges on Oceania are in the hallways next to cabins so you walk right by them if you are on one of the two decks. There are two glass doors into each lounge that can be accessed from the two corridors. If they have to have them, at least use regular doors.

Oops - about flying........ Regent includes Business Class Air on their European itineraries so we do sit in larger seats and hope that I don't look like you described :o We also fly coach - depending upon what Regent is willing to offer to their passengers. I don't feel superior in Bus. Class or inferior in coach. I just feel blessed to be able to take cruising vacations.

When I read what I'm writing it sounds like I have a double standard. Maybe I do ..... airplanes vs. cruises. We all live on a ship 24/7 while even the longest plane trip isn't that long (although we are flying to South Africa on Thursday which entails 21 hours of flight time - not including stop-overs so it will feel like we are living on the plane). I do wonder what people in First or Business Class feel so superior about since many of them used frequent flyer miles or points to get where they are. Guess I'll never understand people's attitudes.

Speaking of attitudes, I would like to address (for about the fourth time in a year) about Frank Del Rio and dirty ships. When NCHL purchased Regent and Oceania, I came to the NCL board to learn more about NCL. I certainly did not expect to get flamed for just about everything I said. I tried to explain that we felt the same way about him when Regent was purchased the last time (almost 8 years ago), but that I have met and spoken with Mr. Del Rio and am impressed with what he has done with Regent. I certainly did not claim to be a close friend.

One of the two or three discussions I was involved with had to do with putting dirty plates outside of the door on the floor after eating in your cabin. Several people complained that the ships looked filthy with dirty plates all over the floor (and there was an issue of people with disabilities getting down the hallways with walkers and wheelchairs). Since I had no reason to disbelieve NCL passengers, I suggested that the plates be kept in the cabin until they are picked up and that way the ships wouldn't look so dirty (not sure of my exact wording but I still believe that this is the best way to handle the plates that room service has delivered).

Anyway, really enjoy your posts - they make a lot of sense:)

Edited by Travelcat2

The Executive and Concierge lounges on Oceania are in the hallways next to cabins so you walk right by them if you are on one of the two decks. There are two glass doors into each lounge that can be accessed from the two corridors. If they have to have them, at least use regular doors.

Oops - about flying........ Regent includes Business Class Air on their European itineraries so we do sit in larger seats and hope that I don't look like you described :o We also fly coach - depending upon what Regent is willing to offer to their passengers. I don't feel superior in Bus. Class or inferior in coach. I just feel blessed to be able to take cruising vacations.

When I read what I'm writing it sounds like I have a double standard. Maybe I do ..... airplanes vs. cruises. We all live on a ship 24/7 while even the longest plane trip isn't that long (although we are flying to South Africa on Thursday which entails 21 hours of flight time - not including stop-overs so it will feel like we are living on the plane). I do wonder what people in First or Business Class feel so superior about since many of them used frequent flyer miles or points to get where they are. Guess I'll never understand people's attitudes.

Speaking of attitudes, I would like to address (for about the fourth time in a year) about Frank Del Rio and dirty ships. When NCHL purchased Regent and Oceania, I came to the NCL board to learn more about NCL. I certainly did not expect to get flamed for just about everything I said. I tried to explain that we felt the same way about him when Regent was purchased the last time (almost 8 years ago), but that I have met and spoken with Mr. Del Rio and am impressed with what he has done with Regent. I certainly did not claim to be a close friend.

One of the two or three discussions I was involved with had to do with putting dirty plates outside of the door on the floor after eating in your cabin. Several people complained that the ships looked filthy with dirty plates all over the floor (and there was an issue of people with disabilities getting down the hallways with walkers and wheelchairs). Since I had no reason to disbelieve NCL passengers, I suggested that the plates be kept in the cabin until they are picked up and that way the ships wouldn't look so dirty (not sure of my exact wording but I still believe that this is the best way to handle the plates that room service has delivered).

Anyway, really enjoy your posts - they make a lot of sense:)

I 100% agree with on the lounges. Having clear doors is a bit of "look how great it is in here and you don't belong". Not what you want to have on a vacation.

She's referring to the suites / Haven on the NCL ships - which to outside point of view due to setup and fare amounts, look like separating of the classes / income groups.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

IMHO: anyone can cruise in the Haven or Suites on NCL. You just have to pay the fare or get an upsell. I travel in NCL suites because it is what I like. For various reasons. Separation from class is definately not my motivation.

I do not fit the income demographic. But being older, divorced, no kids and smart with my money I can and do choose to spend my money on travel in the way I enjoy.

Edited by DMH15

I do wonder what people in First or Business Class feel so superior about since many of them used frequent flyer miles or points to get where they are. Guess I'll never understand people's attitudes.

I fly first class on all flights over two hours. It started when I worked and now continues while I'm retired. I don't feel superior to anyone nor have I ever met anyone in the first class section who has ever said anything about any other flyer, be it coach or first class. I've paid for my flights and I've used frequent flyer miles. I guess I will never understand people's attitudes either or those that assume they know how others feel.

I fly first class on all flights over two hours. It started when I worked and now continues while I'm retired. I don't feel superior to anyone nor have I ever met anyone in the first class section who has ever said anything about any other flyer, be it coach or first class. I've paid for my flights and I've used frequent flyer miles. I guess I will never understand people's attitudes either or those that assume they know how others feel.

The thing is NOBODY said anything. This is coming from you for whatever reason.