Frank Del Rio: " . . . the emphasis will continue to be push prices up . . .

mianmike

That's what I'm doing. Celebrity also raised their drink and drink package prices this year, along with other changes, so it seems like all the cruise lines are raising prices/fees in one way or another.

If it were a simple matter of raising prices I don't think that it would be that big a deal. This is more about a new direction for NCL because of a change in management. Some will like it. Some won't. And only time will tell whether it will work or not.

If it were a simple matter of raising prices I don't think that it would be that big a deal. This is more about a new direction for NCL because of a change in management. Some will like it. Some won't. And only time will tell whether it will work or not.
NCL is trying to change in the direction where they feel they will be in business for many years and sometimes it is not an easy pill to swallow for some who like a company that they do business with to always stay the same. When a new CEO comes to a company there are usually changes, because of their view of that industry or their experience in the industry, but it doesn't mean in the end it will be all that bad. There are examples of where a new CEO has turned a company around, just as there are examples of how they have ruined a company....time will tell if Mr. Del Rio, Mr. Stuart and the other executivies are right or wrong. I personally think that the cruise industry has a bigger problem then them raising fares, implementing charges and raising fees and that is that they are, IMHO, building too many mega ships too fast, but that is for another discussion.

Which is why I said pick the line(s) that give you the least headache because most of cruise lines have raised their fare/cost, changed policies and/or changing their brand to go after a completely different demographic. There's nothing wrong with voicing one's displeasure but to think that constantly complaining from extremely small group of individuals on one forum is going to change a cruise line's mind and direction - well, that's a different story. Happen with Sheehan in the past when he was running the show but Del Rio/ Stuart are not him - there's the difference that upsetting the posters that are angry.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You cannot decide what a persons decides to complain about. You cannot tell a person what they should and should not complain about. That is not your concern. There state of mind is not your concern nor is it your problem.

this is a discussion board....purpose to discuss.

I don't like what a lot of people say including you. But i wont tell you not to say it. The only things i can do is not read the thread, put you on ignore, or join the conversation and give my opinion or thoughts. I will NEVER tell anyone that im tired of you saying xyz, or you complain non stop about xyz. Because i cant control them or what they say. I won't devalue their comment because i disagree or tired of hearing it. cruise critic is a is a forum. Only the moderators have the power.

Edited by tiffygirl

Which is why I said pick the line(s) that give you the least headache because most of cruise lines have raised their fare/cost, changed policies and/or changing their brand to go after a completely different demographic. There's nothing wrong with voicing one's displeasure but to think that constantly complaining from extremely small group of individuals on one forum is going to change a cruise line's mind and direction - well, that's a different story. Happen with Sheehan in the past when he was running the show but Del Rio/ Stuart are not him - there's the difference that upsetting the posters that are angry.

You have to realize that they think by voicing their displeasure that NCL is going to roll everything back to "how it was". The only policy that was really reversed was the food back to the cabins and I feel that was done because (1) NCL new full well when it was announced that they could never enforce such a stupid rule and (2) all the negativity they got from the news media. Some folks had issue with what Mr. Sheehan did, some have issue with what Mr. Del Rio is doing and, guess what, there will be some that have issue with what the next CEO does when that time comes. I think we would all like some things to go back to the way they were or to never change, but the world doesn't work that way.

NCL is trying to change in the direction where they feel they will be in business for many years and sometimes it is not an easy pill to swallow for some who like a company that they do business with to always stay the same. When a new CEO comes to a company there are usually changes, because of their view of that industry or their experience in the industry, but it doesn't mean in the end it will be all that bad. There are examples of where a new CEO has turned a company around, just as there are examples of how they have ruined a company....time will tell if Mr. Del Rio, Mr. Stuart and the other executivies are right or wrong. I personally think that the cruise industry has a bigger problem then them raising fares, implementing charges and raising fees and that is that they are, IMHO, building too many mega ships too fast, but that is for another discussion.

More mega ships is fine with me, it keeps the smaller ship prices down. When NCL starts selling/retiring the Sun, Spirit, Star etc, then I will start a thread to complain.:D

More mega ships is fine with me, it keeps the smaller ship prices down. When NCL starts selling/retiring the Sun, Spirit, Star etc, then I will start a thread to complain.:D

OT for a sec

I have to tell you how much I love your signature :)

Now back to the regulary scheduled bickering

Edited by SuiteCruiser

That's one of the things that concerns me is that Del Rio is biting off more than NCL can chew. NCL is not too big to fail.

You have to realize that they think by voicing their displeasure that NCL is going to roll everything back to "how it was". The only policy that was really reversed was the food back to the cabins and I feel that was done because (1) NCL new full well when it was announced that they could never enforce such a stupid rule and (2) all the negativity they got from the news media. Some folks had issue with what Mr. Sheehan did, some have issue with what Mr. Del Rio is doing and, guess what, there will be some that have issue with what the next CEO does when that time comes. I think we would all like some things to go back to the way they were or to never change, but the world doesn't work that way.

I doubt that NCL is going to roll back everything to how it was. I am just hoping it doesn't turn out as bad as I fear that it will, but only time will tell (remember, Del Rio is just getting started).

That's one of the things that concerns me is that Del Rio is biting off more than NCL can chew. NCL is not too big to fail.

You are right and neither is Royal Caribbean. But I must say, the mega ships have been on the agenda and drawing board prior to Mr. Del Rio coming over to NCL.

You are right and neither is Royal Caribbean. But I must say, the mega ships have been on the agenda and drawing board prior to Mr. Del Rio coming over to NCL.

Mega ships seem to be the way most cruise lines are going and I hope never to sail on any of them. That being said Del Rio will find out that filling 6 ships with less than 2000 passengers each from a select demographic may not translate so readily when one has to fill ships of 3k to 4k from a more diverse customer base.

Mega ships seem to be the way most cruise lines are going and I hope never to sail on any of them. That being said Del Rio will find out that filling 6 ships with less than 2000 passengers each from a select demographic may not translate so readily when one has to fill ships of 3k to 4k from a more diverse customer base.
We will see, there are probably a lot more cruisers like you and me, so hopefully the smaller ships won't go by the wayside, because if they do that would be the breaking point for me and NCL would be off the list and that would leave Celebrity and Crystal. Edited by NLH Arizona

He must raise prices and fees without improving the cruise experience because NCLH has lots of bills to pay. All the dry docks, the new mega ships plus the cost of the initial merger. I also think he is using NCL to fund Oceania and Regent. Both lines have seen no cutbacks and Regent is getting a new ship and Oceania is getting a refurbished one. Same old story, the 99% fund the 1%.

Yes and even the other cruise lines are having their own wacky problems - pick the cruise line(s) that gives you the least aggravation before, during & after a trip and enjoy.

But to constantly gripe about a line, whether you going on it or not- at some point you have to let it go and move on. Why? Because dwelling on stuff / posting negatively that you have a choice to pay and is not a necessary like home /gas/water; is to get yourself tune out by very object you're talking about. Let's be honest - yeah, the takeout rule was overturned but look at other stuff that some people, not all people, have whine about since and NCL still earn billions despite the "uproar". And look at NCL official response to said "anger" - might as well scream at a brick wall.

Yes, this is Cruise Critic but the posters that are completely upset at NCL are not really critiquing or criticizing without giving some good points, now it's just plain nitpicking and rants - What company is going to listen to what a extremely miniscule group of 20 on one forum is saying, while larger groups in hundreds / thousands are emailing, writing letters, responing to surveys, calling phone centers, posting on Facebook/Twitter, roll call forums are voicing their opinion. Who knows what those people are saying but; it looks like it's mostly positive because NCL still moved forward with the "negative" changes instead of reversing each and every one of them.

Great post Maywell. Couldn't agree more.

I doubt that NCL is going to roll back everything to how it was. I am just hoping it doesn't turn out as bad as I fear that it will, but only time will tell (remember, Del Rio is just getting started).

Yep and I am sure you like many others were mad when Sheehan came onboard and started making changes

Edited by abe3

Yep and I am sure you like many others were mad when Sheehan came onboard and started making changes

Nope, I didn't start sailing with NCL until Sheehan was at the helm (or if he wasn't I didn't know enough about cruising at the time to even care). And for the record I'm not mad now.

Edited by sparks1093

He must raise prices and fees without improving the cruise experience because NCLH has lots of bills to pay. All the dry docks, the new mega ships plus the cost of the initial merger. I also think he is using NCL to fund Oceania and Regent. Both lines have seen no cutbacks and Regent is getting a new ship and Oceania is getting a refurbished one. Same old story, the 99% fund the 1%.

That is an excellent observation regarding Regent/Oceania. I have not heard that mentioned before. I dont sail them but i wonder if they have seen any changes in the last 11 months since the Del Rio takeover?

If they have then i think i would feel better that he was making sweeping changes across the board. Unless Regent/Oceania doesn't need the improvements.

I know they are all inclusive so i wonder what areas he could increase profits? NCL is easier to do because its basically al la carte.

However, (regent ) i dont think he will remove room charges from fares and begin charging nor remove prime rib from the menu and add it back with a la carte pricing. If he even tried it his passengers would have a fit lol they should. So why do it to ncl passengers i wonder....

99% funding the 1% hmmmm

Again. Great point.

Edited by tiffygirl

I think refurbished ships, dry docks, new ships IS improving cruise experience.

Totally agree with you. The majority of new cruises will be attracted to the new mega ships. Additionally, the specific demographic that likes smaller ships might not be willing to pay the "extras" that Del Rio is looking to charge.

Further the economies of scale from the merger, particularly from supply chain, could further help cash flow for improvements to the cruise experience.

Dry docks/ refurbishing should be apart of maintenance and already budget. They should be doing that anyway.

Lets say they removed the charge for vibe, extended it and made that area adults only 24 hours. Or even added cabana beds to the spice area on the away ships.

Maybe extending coverage hours to the kids club areas.

Bring back 2 for 1 happy hours.

Show movies on the screen at night, have pop corn.

They can find small things to improve the passenger experience.

Welcome aboard non alcoholic rum punch served in the atrium on embarcation day.

A little goes a long way.....

Edited by tiffygirl

Also adding new upscale items on the MDR menu and adding new items to room service menu, many don't seem to have an issue paying for these items. Even heard that on Escape, they ran out of lobster in the MDR. Edited by NLH Arizona

I do not think so because he has made all the good stuff a la cart. To me improving the cruise experience is giving more for the same price. He could offer anything however if you are paying more for it there is no improvement. All the economy of size went to profit, not holding price or fees even. As far as I can tell there has been no change in Oceania or Regent. Maybe after all the million dollar bonuses are paid this year things will settle down. Maybe frank will take the money and run.

Edited by hypercafe

Also adding new upscale items on the MDR menu and adding new items to room service menu, many don't seem to have an issue paying for these items. Even heard that on Escape, they ran out of lobster in the MDR.

They ran out of lobster all over the ship. They also ran out of every white wine except for Reisling, most red wine, limes, many food items, 3/4 of the beer in District Brew House.

It was poor provisioning, not because everyone was buying lobster in the MDR.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Also adding new upscale items on the MDR menu and adding new items to room service menu, many don't seem to have an issue paying for these items. Even heard that on Escape, they ran out of lobster in the MDR.

Obviously they were not charging enough, law of supply and demand.:D