Balcony Door - Spa Balcony Question

js

Hi. If I wanted the balcony door propped open while in the cabin, and didnt have air on, is there a way to keep it open?

Ive only sailed on ships where the door is a divider.

Thank you.

Edited by js

Just want to add that I believe there is a sign on the door that they recommend you do not keep the balcony door open.

there has been speculation why this is and if its a RULE or a RECOMMENDATION

but just want you to know that Carnival frowns on leaving the balcony door open

Thank you all so much! I forgot anout the door stop. Is there usually one in the cabin or should I purchase.

Webecruisin, what exactly do you do with tje bungi? I would think the door wedge would work. Maybe Ill pack a bumhi too just in case? Thanks.

Door stop wedged in the gap where the hinges are.

Guaranteed to warp the door and hinges, resulting in maintenance being called to fix a door that doesn't latch properly.

And for the OP, what do you mean when you say "won't have the air on"? The A/C is always on regardless of where you set your cabin thermostat, as there is always 20% make up fresh air blowing into the cabin to make up for the 20% taken out by the bathroom exhaust. Opening the balcony door upsets the pressure balance across whatever group of cabins are together on the make up air duct, and will affect those cabins negatively. You will also note a "whistling" under your hallway door, and if you open both the hallway door and the balcony door, be prepared for a wind tunnel. When walking down the passageways outside cabins, you can tell where the balcony doors are open by the whistling wind.

Guaranteed to warp the door and hinges, resulting in maintenance being called to fix a door that doesn't latch properly.

And for the OP, what do you mean when you say "won't have the air on"? The A/C is always on regardless of where you set your cabin thermostat, as there is always 20% make up fresh air blowing into the cabin to make up for the 20% taken out by the bathroom exhaust. Opening the balcony door upsets the pressure balance across whatever group of cabins are together on the make up air duct, and will affect those cabins negatively. You will also note a "whistling" under your hallway door, and if you open both the hallway door and the balcony door, be prepared for a wind tunnel. When walking down the passageways outside cabins, you can tell where the balcony doors are open by the whistling wind.

Thank you.

Use Bungi cord to hold door open. Wrap around the door handle and the railing on side of balcony.

Thanks so much! I guess I will also bring one with me. I'll have my dh take one out for me since he won't be going with us.

Thank you all very much.

A

What you're hearing is wind...not the ocean!

Keeping the door open can affect other's AC or heat....so it's best to keep that at a minimum!

Living on the coast, I can tell the difference between the wind and oceann You can definitely hear the ocean with the balcony door open. :rolleyes:

Edited by YubaSutter

A

Living on the coast, I can tell the difference between the wind and oceann You can definitely hear the ocean with the balcony door open. :rolleyes:

I sure can tell the difference too. I love to hear the waves.

The door stop is a small rubberized one. There are three hinges, one on top, middle and bottom IIRC, on a very heavy door that slams shut if you don't hold it and close it softly.

No way it's going to damage the door.

The door stop is a small rubberized one. There are three hinges, one on top, middle and bottom IIRC, on a very heavy door that slams shut if you don't hold it and close it softly.

No way it's going to damage the door.

The fact that the door is heavy is what will warp the hinges. The mass, centered at a distance from the hinge creates a good deal of torque. Restrain that torque with a rubber wedge and you build stress in the hinge (particularly the hinge opposite to where the wedge is placed). It might not become apparent the first time its done, or the second, but the accumulated stress will cause the hinge to bend. All I'm saying is that I can't count the number of hinges I've replaced, or the number of latches replaced from people repeatedly slamming the door trying to get it to latch after the hinges warp the door out of alignment (remember Ben Franklin's definition of insanity?). But hey, next time someone complains about fares rising, remember that maintenance budget is part of that fare.

People are obviously not reading the second part of your post.

Keeping the balcony door open at all, no matter with a wedge or bungee cord will screw up the AC, not just in the cabin with the door open but all the ones surrounding it.

Also, nighttime air is very moist, therefore adding a lot of humidity for the whole system to deal with.

People are obviously not reading the second part of your post.

Keeping the balcony door open at all, no matter with a wedge or bungee cord will screw up the AC, not just in the cabin with the door open but all the ones surrounding it.

Also, nighttime air is very moist, therefore adding a lot of humidity for the whole system to deal with.

I've vowed to only post about the balcony doors and A/C once per thread. There's not much more I can do to convince folks.

The fact that the door is heavy is what will warp the hinges. The mass, centered at a distance from the hinge creates a good deal of torque. Restrain that torque with a rubber wedge and you build stress in the hinge (particularly the hinge opposite to where the wedge is placed). It might not become apparent the first time its done, or the second, but the accumulated stress will cause the hinge to bend. All I'm saying is that I can't count the number of hinges I've replaced, or the number of latches replaced from people repeatedly slamming the door trying to get it to latch after the hinges warp the door out of alignment (remember Ben Franklin's definition of insanity?). But hey, next time someone complains about fares rising, remember that maintenance budget is part of that fare.

Thank you for explaining that in detail and the schooling.

I will not challenge what you are saying because I'm no expert. I have had balcony doors that we have to pull tight and even try a few times to get them to latch completely.

I certainly don't want to do any damage to the ship, so no more door stops in the door.