Language Question

Does the departure port set the tone for a ship’s announcements, television captions, etc.

I just cruised out of San Juan and every announcement made during the week was first in English and then followed up in Spanish. The television had approximately 30 channels and I’d say 20 of them where voiced-over in Spanish. There was 1 channel in German and a few other channels in various languages.

I was just wondering if that is because we cruised out of San Juan. Would it be different if we cruised out of say, Bayonne or Galveston?

Thanks!

Galveston will be all American for announcements unless your particular sailing has a significant percentage of Mexicans on board

the TV stations are the same 5 shows in 12 different languages on a continuous loop. Its fun watching Castle in French when you are drinking Italian Wine.... the official channel of course will have every language under the sun.

but yes when sailing out of certain markets there will be a second announcement in the prevailing language

Does the departure port set the tone for a ship’s announcements, television captions, etc.

I just cruised out of San Juan and every announcement made during the week was first in English and then followed up in Spanish. The television had approximately 30 channels and I’d say 20 of them where voiced-over in Spanish. There was 1 channel in German and a few other channels in various languages.

I was just wondering if that is because we cruised out of San Juan. Would it be different if we cruised out of say, Bayonne or Galveston?

Thanks!

Just cruised on the Oasis out of Ft Lauderdale, all of the announcements were made in english and spanish. The television had several different language channels. Why does it matter?

Galveston will be all American for announcements unless your particular sailing has a significant percentage of Mexicans on board

the TV stations are the same 5 shows in 12 different languages on a continuous loop. Its fun watching Castle in French when you are drinking Italian Wine.... the official channel of course will have every language under the sun.

but yes when sailing out of certain markets there will be a second announcement in the prevailing language

American is not a language.

Galveston will be all American for announcements unless your particular sailing has a significant percentage of Mexicans on board......

We have sailed out of Galveston twice, where it was the "Mexican Spring Break", around Easter.

The announcements where in English, and then sometimes, especially in the MDR at night, it was fallowed by Spanish.

By the way, the Hispanic kids, are a lot more respectful than the American kids are !