From Princess's Mouth - Supposedly The Facts On New Perks

Golfette

bdjam, I think it's the fact that the communication between corporate and onboard staff has always been poor that makes things like this frustrating. You'd think they'd understand that lack of communication and either fix it or devise a system whereby it doesn't affect passengers' expectations of their cruise, and yet, here we are. Now, do I think people should get financial compensation for this? Not really, I think a mattress or sheets shouldn't ruin a cruise to the point of requiring monetary compensation. But I do think it's OK for people to let the corporate office know that we see how they screwed up and it makes us unhappy. At least they'll be on notice that this makes people frustrated the next time they think about announcing a new amenity before they're certain it's going to be in place when they say it is.

Thanks everyone for trying to find that news release...wish one of us had thought to print it out. Oh, well.

Actually, I don't really care about the champagne.
My apologies - I responded because you mentioned it.
But I do think it's OK for people to let the corporate office know that we see how they screwed up and it makes us unhappy. At least they'll be on notice that this makes people frustrated the next time they think about announcing a new amenity before they're certain it's going to be in place when they say it is.
Right – but I still don’t understand the ire and the angst behind the posts. Princess is trying to do something good for the passenger - and I know some people think it's a ploy to increase revenues and make the stockholders happy, which it might be, but so what? Rather than having patience, everyone is up in arms because everything is not in place by the exact date they said it would be. Nobody was upset because some of the things were in place before September. No wonder they pulled the release from the web page.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upset enough over this issue to post something on a message board venting your frustration. So upset that you expect financial compensation and consider hiring a lawyer, or yell at the onboard staff and demand a new mattress be installed at the next port call? No, I don't think that's reasonable, and I don't think the people who posted with all the unsmiley faces are planning that...but then again, maybe they are, I shouldn't put words in their mouth! :D

...in both instances – cruise contracts or dress codes – it’s a matter of passengers ignoring what’s published and thinking they are due something they are not, whether that be compensation for a missed port or an excuse from dressing properly. In my case, I understand what Princess has written and what their intent is...

bdjam,

Respectfully, just read the above in your post on the Med. cruise thread. To me, this issue is similar, but in reverse. It's a matter of passengers who DO read what is published and understand what Princess says, but find out that it's incorrect.

They have as much right to be upset with Princess for putting out erroneous information as you feel about those who either fail to read the published information or disregard what it says.

No one made Princess announce, in that press release or over the phone, that the perks are all in place; however, that's exactly what they did. The date becomes important if you are one of the disappointed passengers cruising soon, expecting to find them onboard, only to discover what's advertised is not to be found.

People can get passionate about the darndest things on these boards. Before cruising, who knew jeans could be such a hot topic!

CroozBlooz,

Have a great time on the CB!

Respectfully, just read the above in your post on the Med. cruise thread. To me, this issue is similar, but in reverse. It's a matter of passengers who DO read what is published and understand what Princess says, but find out that it's incorrect.

They have as much right to be upset with Princess for putting out erroneous information as you feel about those who either fail to read the published information or disregard what it says.

Touché again – I just seem to be digging myself in deeper and deeper, don’t I? As I said before, I’m glad you’re all checking up on me and keeping me honest…congratulations.

My excuse in this case is that a marketing message is something different than a contract or guideline. I also realize the logistics of switching out all of the amenities that have been mentioned and understand it’s no easy task. I also realize that the marketing department in Santa Clarita might not be in tune with actual schedules when these amenities can be delivered from the vendors, when they can be loaded and when they can be put in place on the ship. I don’t think I said that Princess should state a date for completion and then ignore it. What I did say is that y’all should give them some slack for they are trying to make your cruise experience better and all I see is complaints because they didn’t do it on time...like they are stealing something from you. Anyone ever been late before? I also think I indicated that if anyone felt they had been damaged by the lack of the amenities they should approach Princess. Spend the energy used to follow my posts around to write them. I’m sure they’ll be glad to hear your suggestions as to how they can improve their product.

and I know some people think it's a ploy to increase revenues and make the stockholders happy, which it might be, but so what?.

Come on...of course its to increase revenue!! That's why they are in business to .....make money. That is their only concern. Everything they do is to make more $$$ That's it. When all said and done it is the holy dollar that matters. If they step on some toes or pissed some people off in the process they do not care as Long as they make more money.

Come on...of course its to increase revenue!! That's why they are in business to .....make money. That is their only concern. Everything they do is to make more $$$ That's it. When all said and done it is the holy dollar that matters. If they step on some toes or pissed some people off in the process they do not care as Long as they make more money.
OK – but like I said, so what? Isn’t that the capitalist way? Sorry that I don’t have a fancy .gif that I can attach to the bottom of my post for this comment as you had for me.

OK – but like I said, so what? Isn’t that the capitalist way? Sorry that I don’t have a fancy .gif that I can attach to the bottom of my post for this comment as you had for me.

So what you ask? The problem is they stated they would be providing something (actually numerous things) that they can't deliver at this time. Bad move anyway you slice it or spin it .........just a bad move. I am sure that there are people who booked the cruises under the impression that they would be getting some of the perks that they had announced. It's a shame. I know it first hand as I have 2 groups that I booked using the perks as a carrot. No i am not a TA. Just invited a lot of friends and family to join us on our cruise.

As for the gif. I will add this one for you.

vc-cartoon-newsletter-6-24-2003.jpg

And this one for me!!

bait_switch_110.gif

bdjam, I can see where you're coming from, and I'm usually willing to give Princess the benefit of the doubt, but on this one, I personally don't think it was reasonable for Princess to be late in delivering on a service they advertised. If I were a manager there, I'd be yelling at the marketing director who let that happen. The smart business plan would have been to wait to release the advertising until after everything is in place, or at least, until there's no chance that it won't be in place. Disappointing your customers is something you want to avoid if at all possible, becauase it's your customers' good will that keeps them coming back to buy your product. I can see no reason why this ad had to come out when it did, instead of waiting another month when the chance of disappointing your customers was substantially less. Whatever extra income was created by releasing the ad earlier is going to be lost in the worker hours it's going to cost them to respond to people's complaints that they didn't meet their self-imposed timeline on this.

In addition, I don't see a marketing message as being different than the policies contained in the Cruise Answer Book. Given the exclusionary clause in the cruise contract, neither the Cruise Answer Book nor any marketing materials are technically part of the cruise contract. If all Princess is required to do is meet the terms of the cruise contract, and not fulfill the promises made in their advertising and the Cruise Answer Book, then passengers aren't bound to follow the rules laid out in the Cruise Answer Book either, technically. In reality, if Princess doesn't provide what it says it does in the Cruise Answer Book, passengers are disappointed, and it's the same thing when they don't provide what they advertise in their marketing materials. Hence, this thread.

But, having discussed all this, I think what's more important to talk about is how we'd like to see Princess resolve this situation. Clearly installing the new amenities can't be accomplished quickly, otherwise it would have been done on time. So, what else can Princess do to help us get over our disappointment? I'd say it's important for Princess to admit its screw-up and tell us when it's really going to happen, or at least, when it's absolutely not going to be happening--i.e., "Although we originally anticipated these amenities would be available in September 2005, due to logistical difficulties, the new amenities many not be available until as late as December 2005. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused some of our passengers." I don't think money compensation is appropriate in this situation except for people who were induced to book a mini or full suite based on the amenities in question (so, they booked after the announcement for a sailing that is happening when the amenities are supposed to be in place).

Great post!!! Just add one point......When we see a bad review we often remark how the first few things went bad and that set the tone for the rest of the cruise, thus the cruiser comes back less then satisfied. This will be some of the repercussions we will see with negative reviews. Cruisers that have planned for months and are so excited for their champagne, robes, new linens and such just to be let down. That will leave a bad taste in their mouth that could affect their cruise. It's human nature.

From Ron’s link:

Beginning September 2005, our Suite and Mini-Suite passengers will enjoy added amenities. From sumptuous luxury mattresses, linens and amenities to in-suite entertainment, passengers can expect to be pampered every step of the way.
Thanks, Ron. I would like to point out that there is no completion date mentioned in this release.

From Ron’s link:

Thanks, Ron. I would like to point out that there is no completion date mentioned in this release.

Come on stop the spin. Lets break down your quote

"Beginning September 2005, our Suite and Mini-Suite passengers will enjoy added amenities. From sumptuous luxury mattresses, linens and amenities to in-suite entertainment, passengers can expect to be pampered every step of the way."

Beginning September 2005 This is October now our Suite and Mini-Suite passengers will enjoy added amenities. Clearly states WILL enjoy added amenities. If I am on a cruise this week I would be under the impression that I WOULD have added amenities.

calikak,

The first thing Princess headquarters can do is update the customer service folks. They need to stop telling people who inquire that the perks are in place. It would be great if they had a list, updated regularly, listing which ships had what perks onboard, so they could answer folks who call asking.

cruise182,

Laughed at your cheerleader! bdjam, didn't it even make you crack a smile?

bdjam,

If I was cruising soon, you bet I'd note it on my comment card. Since I'm not, I hadn't given much thought to writing Princess, just stating my thoughts on this board. Maybe I will. BTW, you should be flattered that people read your posts. I've found them to be at times educational, entertaining and insightful, and I respect the tenacity with which you defend your positions.

corian,

Thanks for the link! We're actually looking for an additional, more complete press release that had been on the Princess website but is no longer there.

I am sailing in a minisuite next week - I am just thrilled to be on the ship. I don't care what benefits I get - just get me on the ship.

But that's you. For others they booked under the impression that they were getting the added amenities. Just because it does nothing for you doesn't mean it doesn't do something for others. If I go to Disney and mickey isn't there it wouldn't bother me butI bet others would be.

I think it's reasonable to read that statement to mean that prior to September 2005, the amenities would not be available, but that they would be available to those sailing in September 2005. I think it's also reasonable to read it to mean that some amenities would be available on some ships at some point in September 2005. At best, it's ambiguous. Additionally the OP was told by a Princess rep that the amenities are now in place on all ships. Therefore, I think passenger expectations that these amenities would be available by the end of September 2005 are reasonable, and I think Princess would be wise to just apologize and give us a revised date. It's OK to make a mistake, but it's not OK to fail to correct the mistake.

OK, going to dinner now!

Come on stop the spin. Lets break down your quote.
It’s not my quote, it’s Princess’ quote.
Beginning September 2005 This is October now our Suite and Mini-Suite passengers will enjoy added amenities. Clearly states WILL enjoy added amenities. If I am on a cruise this week I would be under the impression that I WOULD have added amenities
Your impression – based on the posts on this thread - would be wrong. In fact, beginning in August people were enjoying the new amenities. I'll give you the fact that it could be worded better, but perhaps Princess wanted to give themselves a clever out in case they weren't able to complete the operation by the end of September - even though they never say they will.
bdjam, didn't it even make you crack a smile?
No, unfortunately it didn’t. Cheerleader has been used a number of times to describe me and it’s been used in a derogatory fashion. I didn’t laugh because I figured the poster was jumping on the bandwagon.

Oh good grief. People are up in arms before they've even had a chance to see if the services are being offered. It took a while to get the new suite perks on line when they were upgraded about 18 months ago, now we've got people crying the blues before they've even boarded the ship.

If we really wanted to get an idea of when we could be assured of having everything in place, why not ask the HAL folks how long it took Signature of Excellence to be implemented, or Carnival cruisers how well progress is going with their upgrades.

I meant to say the statement from princess that you quote.

It does not matter when they started to add the amenities but rather when they finished. I van not see how anyone can take that quote and walk away thinking I wonder when they will finish adding the amenities. The way I read it is very simple. Beginning September 2005 I will have the added amenities.

If you came across an add in the paper stating “Beginning September 2005, our cruises will be half price . Would you not expect to book the cruise for half price?

Your impression – based on the posts on this thread - would be wrong. In fact, beginning in August people were enjoying the new amenities. I'll give you the fact that it could be worded better, but perhaps Princess wanted to give themselves a clever out in case they weren't able to complete the operation by the end of September - even though they never say they will

I had a friend who sailed on the Diamond in June and had many of the new benefits in June in her suite (before the press release even came out).

Oh good grief. People are up in arms before they've even had a chance to see if the services are being offered. It took a while to get the new suite perks on line when they were upgraded about 18 months ago, now we've got people crying the blues before they've even boarded the ship.

If we really wanted to get an idea of when we could be assured of having everything in place, why not ask the HAL folks how long it took Signature of Excellence to be implemented, or Carnival cruisers how well progress is going with their upgrades.

Always love your posts!!

But I have to argue your statement about the other lines. What the heck does that have anything to do with Princess? Sure they are having their problems to but that doesn't mean squat to those that booked with Princess. What we are saying is that IF we do not get what we were told we will be upset and will take it up with Princess. what is the problem with that? Sure it's not going to ruin my cruise but bet your a$$ that we will see people upset upon returning. Unfortunately it does not take a lot to get people on the defensive side. Once you set the tone by not giving what you advertise ..... they will be more critical then if they had received all that they were expecting. Maybe the longer line would have gone unnoticed. maybe the dust ball int the corner would of just been passed with out a thought. But with the bad taste people are more likely to see other little things as they will be looking for it more.

Archived