Disney Wonder feedback, please!

DCLFamof5

Hello!

We've sailed multiple times on the Disney Magic and had an amazing time... This year we are considering the southern Caribbean itinerary that is served by the Wonder. I'm wondering how the two compare? The Wonder's reviews on Cruise Critic aren't too hot. Is it run down? Any input from someone who has recently sailed the Wonder would be appreciated!

I've only sailed Magic once, but my BFF just returned from a large, extended family cruise on the Wonder to Alaska. She has caviar tastes and really liked the Wonder.

I think that folks used to the Dream/Fantasy may feel that it's not as nice?

We sail on the Wonder for Christmas. I'll let you know what I think next month. :)

Hello!

We've sailed multiple times on the Disney Magic and had an amazing time... This year we are considering the southern Caribbean itinerary that is served by the Wonder. I'm wondering how the two compare? The Wonder's reviews on Cruise Critic aren't too hot. Is it run down? Any input from someone who has recently sailed the Wonder would be appreciated!

We've cruised on the Wonder 4 times, most recently last month. She's in great shape. She hasn't undergone the major refurbishing (re-imagining) that the Magic has done, but they were originally identical ships.

The layout, basically, is still the same as the Magic. I prefer the smaller, Magic class ship over the larger Dream class. But I really appreciate the "classic" feel the Wonder still has (over the Magic).

We just got off the Wonder on Friday and she is in pretty good shape! We had no issues with our stateroom, and, as always the ship was mostly immaculate. I did notice a little rust in one spot which is why I say "mostly". I was concerned knowing the ship will be in dry dock for an extensive 2 month renovation a year from now. But, overall I was very pleased and we will return for the Southern Caribbean early next year and again for Alaska later in the year. I do prefer the renovated Magic, with the big enhancement to create Cabanas and some great CDs and European itineraries. At the end of the day though, we go for itineraries which for now has us cruising on the Wonder. I will also add that the cruise staff on the Wonder was top notch on the Panama Canal cruise.

Hello!

We were on the Wonder 6 weeks ago and I thought she was in great condition. This was our first time on a classic ship and while I definitely prefer the Dream class I wouldn't hesitate to board the Wonder again, especially to do a southern Caribbean itinerary. I'd book that in a heartbeat if I could cruise during that time. And for the record, I absolutely love the Fantasy but if I had to choose eastern or western on Fantasy or southern on Wonder, you'd see my smiling face on the Wonder! I say book it!

We've sailed the Wonder and loved it. Yes, it won't have the refurbishments of the Magic, yet, but its still a great ship. We didn't feel it was run down or "dirty". It also depends on what you are expecting on the ship. The Wonder won't have the latest bells, and whistles, but they still pack tons on events and fun into it. Plus if you were planning on going because of the ports, you won't be disappointed.

When I was on the Wonder in 2013.... the only thing that made it felt old to me was these raised metal covers (electrical?) on some decks midship that made it difficult for a wheelchair to cross over.

Some people had problems with magnets on the doors. There's too many coats of paint.

While the Wonder lacks the duck tail for stability, the slim Wonder felt very modern to me going through the Pacific ports.

I have no problems returning to the Wonder for another trip.

Edited by xlxo

xlxo,

The Duck tail is for increasing efficiency and not for stability. While it will help slightly reduce pitch (rise/fall) when going into seas, it will do nothing for roll when taking seas to the beam. The roll is what most customers perceive as stability.

The Wounder is actually very slowly received the state room rehab a few rooms at a time while underway.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2015/01/disney-wonder-stateroom-refresh-project-underway/

When I was on the Wonder in 2013.... the only thing that made it felt old to me was these raised metal covers (electrical?) on some decks midship that made it difficult for a wheelchair to cross over.

Some people had problems with magnets on the doors. There's too many coats of paint.

While the Wonder lacks the duck tail for stability, the slim Wonder felt very modern to me going through the Pacific ports.

I have no problems returning to the Wonder for another trip.

xlxo,

Are these the metal covers you are referring to?

Slide2.jpg

13e573a3-5f36-4a69-955a-243263055878.jpg

If so, they are not electrical covers, but seal plates for the splash doors/fire doors and divide the ship up into zones. If my memory serves me correctly, the Magic is divided into 7 fire zones.

Decks 1 and 2 probably have the most pronounced plates as being on the lower decks and close to the waterline, require a higher level of water seal if the hull were breached or there were a major water leak.

The design may have been improved since the Magic class were built, but they are an unfortunate necessity, and probably very very expensive to remove and replace, if at all.

ex techie

xlxo,

The Duck tail is for increasing efficiency and not for stability. While it will help slightly reduce pitch (rise/fall) when going into seas, it will do nothing for roll when taking seas to the beam. The roll is what most customers perceive as stability.

The Wounder is actually very slowly received the state room rehab a few rooms at a time while underway.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2015/01/disney-wonder-stateroom-refresh-project-underway/

Hi ArthurUSCG,

Sorry to disagree with you, but the ducktail not only improves aqua dynamic efficiency, but DOES provide additional stability.

http://www.foreship.com/files/fs-naterms.pdf

http://www.cruiseind.com/2011/12/02/lets-talk-about-duck-tails/

ex techie

Yes it is to help with roll stability thru the increase in aft boyancy, but I suspect the increased instability from superstructure additions (AquaDunk, AquaLab ect.) is off setting the stability increase from the ducktail.

So, the passengers will not feel the additional stability from the ducktail.

If I had the numbers I could run a rough estimate of the transverse stability.

Yes it is to help with roll stability thru the increase in aft boyancy, but I suspect the increased instability from superstructure additions (AquaDunk, AquaLab ect.) is off setting the stability increase from the ducktail.

That is true.

They may have over engineered it to still provide some additional stability. Who knows!

Also they may have updated the mechanical engineering and or redisgned the stabilizers. Something less visible, but very important to help stop the roll and pitch.

ex techie

I will agree that the raised metal dividing the fire sections are extremely difficult to get a wheelchair over. There are also very high lips on the doors leading out onto the main decks that are difficult, especially when trying to hold the door open and push a wheelchair at the same time. The other problem we had with the Wonder was the really small elevators that barely fit our wheelchair and the other 3 of us. We also saw a few people with ECV's only able to get their ECV in the elevator, and nobody else. The ramp that goes out onto the dock is really narrow and at times very steep depending on the tides. The buffet on the back of the ship is OK to get your food with a wheelchair, but to find a place to sit is another story. The tables and chairs were so close together. The MDR's were fine, though. The ship is definitely not handicapped friendly.

xlxo,

Are these the metal covers you are referring to?

If so, they are not electrical covers, but seal plates for the splash doors/fire doors and divide the ship up into zones. If my memory serves me correctly, the Magic is divided into 7 fire zones.

Decks 1 and 2 probably have the most pronounced plates as being on the lower decks and close to the waterline, require a higher level of water seal if the hull were breached or there were a major water leak.

The design may have been improved since the Magic class were built, but they are an unfortunate necessity, and probably very very expensive to remove and replace, if at all.

ex techie

I can understand the water seal doors for safety.... but the one I'm thinking of was on Deck 3 inside. I think it was half way in the Promenade Lounge. It was a pain to cross with a wheelchair between the mid-ship elevators and Parrot Cay. It's been over a year since I was there and I don't think it was for water seal doors.

The reason I brought it up with age was because the ship was built when wheelchairs were less common.

That is true.

They may have over engineered it to still provide some additional stability. Who knows!

Also they may have updated the mechanical engineering and or redisgned the stabilizers. Something less visible, but very important to help stop the roll and pitch.

ex techie

Hi techie!

You are totally correct on the fire doors to divide the ship in to zones.

But Arthur is right on the duck tails, they do provide a big improvement in efficiency, however the original requirement for them was to increase stability on the cruises ships. They are found ( in various types of designs) on various ship ships now.

AKK

AKK

Hi techie!

You are totally correct on the fire doors to divide the ship in to zones.

But Arthur is right on the duck tails' date=' they do provide a big improvement in efficiency, however the original requirement for them was to increase stability on the cruises ships. They are found ( in various types of designs) on various ship ships now.

AKK

AKK[/quote']

Hi Skipper,

I was replying to Arthur's comment "The Duck tail is for increasing efficiency and not for stability."

Without the ducktail, having the additional weight of the AquaDunk and AquaLab on the top decks would make the ship less stable, hence why they added the ducktail, and not just for efficiency reasons.

ex techie

That's the reason that the naval Architect gave. He explained that ships, like people gain weight when they get older. One of the functions of the Duck Tail is to add additional buoyancy and stability to offset the added high-up weight.

Edited by Host Mick

That's the reason that the naval Architect gave. He explained that ships, like people gain weight when they get older. One of the functions of the Duck Tail is to add additional buoyancy and stability to offset the added high-up weight.

Host Mick,

Apart from venues changing and additions like water slides/pools, and the repainting of interior spaces, did the naval architect say why else ships gain weight with age?

Obviously in dry docks, the hulls are blasted to the bare metal to repaint them.

I wonder what else apart from the above?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I can understand the water seal doors for safety.... but the one I'm thinking of was on Deck 3 inside. I think it was half way in the Promenade Lounge. It was a pain to cross with a wheelchair between the mid-ship elevators and Parrot Cay. It's been over a year since I was there and I don't think it was for water seal doors.

The reason I brought it up with age was because the ship was built when wheelchairs were less common.

xlxo,

I've had a quick scan of some recent videos of the Prom Lounge on the Wonder, and cannot see what it could be?

Obviously I am not questing your experience, but wonder if we are talking a bout the same spaces.

I cannot log into Photobucket to host photo's at the moment, so ors they are small, but here are some shots that don't show anything obvious, apart from the transition from carpet to tile at the fire zone door.

Are these them, or something else?

ex techie

Slide1.jpg.a52c5f5f65123f310660f3fbb5036383.jpg

Slide2.jpg.52aebef5a72f10a1a98c807d6a19cf87.jpg

Repairs to increase structural integrity, improvements to hotel systems. Retro fits usually add more weight then there original designs.

Think about how much additional electricity needs to be produced just to charge smart phones. That usually requires a bigger heavier generator.

Plus the increased demand for the new water areas.

The weight gain also happens slowly over time. Like adding more equipment to the kitchen area and being more efficient in storing food, allowing for more to come on board.

The ounces slowly add up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Repairs to increase structural integrity, improvements to hotel systems. Retro fits usually add more weight then there original designs.

Think about how much additional electricity needs to be produced just to charge smart phones. That usually requires a bigger heavier generator.

Plus the increased demand for the new water areas.

The weight gain also happens slowly over time. Like adding more equipment to the kitchen area and being more efficient in storing food, allowing for more to come on board.

The ounces slowly add up.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Re: the increased demand for new water areas, thats why I specifically said "additions like water slides/pools".

AFAIK, the Magic or Wonder are still running on their original gen sets. I know they had a problem sourcing replacement parts when I worked on board and were having to have them made to order.

I disagree with how much additional electricity needs to be produced just to charge smart phones. With the advent of LED and low energy light bulbs replacing incandescent bulbs in interior and external spaces, and other efficiencies in electrical technology and equipment, I would have thought the additional demand for electricity would have gone down, even with iPads and smart phones and laptops being the norm to bring on a cruise now.

I know all of the deck entertainment lighting has been changed to LED source from a tungsten source, and the WDT and lounges have mostly moved to LED where possible and cost effective to. That saves on man power to maintain them.

I would have thought the air conditioning and refrigeration units would also be benefitting from newer more energy efficient technologies?

Also most galleys are in the lower parts of the ship.

Then again, I do not know the effect of a couple of thousand tons of additional weight will make to a vessels stability. Whether that just requires a new stability test to adjust ballasts. We had one after a dry dock where were were confined to out cabins to prevent anyone being injured during roll tests.

ex techie

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Wonder is scheduled for a dry dock for refurbishment later in 2016. We just booked the Wonder for Jan 2017 and I remember reading about it.

Yes she is due a dry dock.

It has been speculated it will be a major rehab like the Magic. But that would depend on the locks in Panama being completed.

Personally I do not think it will be as major as the Magic's.

ex techie