Can I buy bottle of rum to drink on Dawn?

Danaludo

I've only cruised once, Carnival Elation, any comparisons between it an Dawn would be helpful too. My question is, with carnival I can buy an 80-90.00 bottle of Malibu, Jack Daniels, Sky, etc and have it delivered to my room. I don't see this option with Norwegian but agent told me it's possible. She had no pricing though... Has anyone done this? Really don't mind spending 80.00 on a 20.00 bottle of rum but can't stand to pay 60.00 for 6 incredibly awful drinks at poolside!

You can buy wine ahead of time but not liquor it seems. Whether you can do it onboard on NCL I don't know.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-gifts

But note the following on the URL -- "An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added at checkout." And it doesn't say how much the BSC is!!

We had a couple of bottles of Lindeman's Bin 90 Moscato as our Platinum free bottles with meals. The on boat price is USD30 a bottle. Google and you will find the average price in the USA is USD6 (http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/lindemans+bin+90+muscat+south+eastern+australia?Xcurrencycode=USD&Xsavecurrency=Y&Xpurl=%2Ffind%2F&Xterm=lindemans+bin+90+muscat+south+eastern+australia). Buy it onshore and pay the USD15 fee and you are "quids in"!!

Look at the NCL wine list:- https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_07092015.pdf

Then look in your bottle shops. You may find that paying the USD15 corkage fee means you pay less than on the boat.

This is possible for wine but NO spirits allowed.

Good luck

Mike

My question is, with carnival I can buy an 80-90.00 bottle of Malibu, Jack Daniels, Sky, etc and have it delivered to my room. I don't see this option with Norwegian but agent told me it's possible. She had no pricing though... Has anyone done this?
Yes, this is possible, but it's been a while since I did this. You can either call ahead of time and get this set up for your cabin (pay with credit card), or wait until you are on board and you can buy liquor by the bottle from some bars.

You can see a recent bar menu with bottle pricing in this post. Malibu $89, JD $99, etc. Plus 18% auto-gratuity. I assume these are 1 liter bottles.

It used to be a little cheaper ordering by phone because they only charged a flat $3 service charge per bottle. Not sure if that is still the case. And with each bottle you could choose a bunch of mixers and garnishes. Here is a thread from last year with more details:

Bar Set UP in Cabin

Note that the price of the mid-range brands has actually gone down, from $100 to $99, while the others have all gone up… If you are interested in this, you can call NCL and get the current info.

Call customer service and tell them you want to order a bar set-up. While it's supposed to come with mixers and garnishes this can be spotty as many report just receiving the bottle and having to chase down the mixers (three cans of soda). We had a Cabana when we were on GSC and used the food and beverage credit to get a bottle of rum and we brought the unused portion back onboard. Most of the bottles are 1 liter. You cannot get a bottle from the duty free shop and bring it to your room. They hold it until debarkation.

I have brought my own bottle of wine on board... Pour my wine in my room then bring it to the dining table

Since you have to pay the corkage fee of $15 per bottle before you board, NCL does not care where you drink it. You can pour it in your room and take a glass with you, or, take the whole bottle to the dining room with you. There will even store it for you and you can drink it anywhere on the ship.

$80 for a bottle of Smirnoff? Yowza!
It's yowza compared to what you pay at Costco at home, of course, but it's still half as much as what you pay shot by shot at the bars on board.

$89 per liter of Smirnoff by the bottle, versus

$7.50 per 1.5oz shot = $169 per liter :eek:

• 1 month later...

This service is called a "BAR-SET-UP

Check with NCL for the current pricing and program.

Old file copy from 2013 information may or may not be current correct !

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr