Please explain extra charges on FREE UDP/UBP???

jonbgd

SO we had the Escape booked in January but cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances

Now looking to book an NCL cruise, since our situation has changed(for the good) and I have 2 FCC to use

When we booked this cruise originally we had free Dining and Beverage Pkg as perks

Now looking at same cruise the same offer they are charging $187 on Escape for the pkg:confused:

I always recommending reading the Terms and Conditions of Promos. NCL tends to hide the link to them. The link is located on the bottom of the promo page.

Ultimate Beverage Package:

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board.

Does not apply to the Ice Bars.

Does not include room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Guest who receive the Soda Package may obtain fountain soda at any bar, lounge or restaurant throughout the duration of the cruise.

Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Package prior to cruise, except when booking a Haven or Suite.

18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Packageare included when booking through the Australia office.

Promotions change. The previous promotions were packages and gratuities included. The current promo is just the package, not the gratuities. It's still a good deal.

for who? not us

I have a few cocktails in the evening and the GF doesn't really drink

So how is that a good deal when it was free?

Edited by jonbgd

So now they are charging for something that was free:confused:

$161 for beverage but or $26 for dining

The package is $64/day/person plus 18% gratuity. That equals $1057. You only pay the 18% gratuity of $161 which winds up a little over $11 per person per day. It's a savings of $896!! For people that say "but I don't drink much", well then don't pick this promo. It's pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for who? not us

You are correct, it may not be a good deal for everyone. As silly as it may sound you don't have to take the promotion if the gratuities are more than what you would spend buying individual drinks.

Don't shoot the messenger. :D

No one is saying it is as good a deal as it was before. It is not. It is a worse deal. But it can still be a good deal. Only you know if it is still good for you or not, and apparently it is not, so there you go, your decision is made.

Even back when the UBP was totally free with gratuities included (and before they even had gratuities yet for UDP and specialty dining), it was not automatically a good deal for everyone, depending on the other perks being offered. In January when you originally booked, people could also choose $200 or $300 OBC for the stateroom. And some people did choose that, even though they could have had the UBP or UDP completely for free.

As everyone else has said, the promotion has changed since January. It's sad for you that you cancelled your booking and can't get the same deal again now, but it is quite unreasonable to walk away from a great deal and expect the same offer to still be on the table 10 months later.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

for who? not us

You have to do the math to see if it's a good deal for you. If you have a few cocktails every evening as you say, you'll probably spend more than the gratuity of $161 on the drink packages they give you. If you paid as you go they would still add the tip.

DH and I had the package last month on the Gem. We saved the receipts and totaled them after we got home and it was well worth it. $161 will cover 2-3 drinks a day just barely.

So now they are charging for something that was free:confused: $161 for beverage but or $26 for dining

You are being charged for the gratuity for the packages.

Promotions constantly change. 2 years ago, there was no UDP/SDP or UBP. There was a "free room upgrade" or "3rd person free".

For 4 days over Halloween, you got 2 promotions (vs. the normal 1). 10 months ago, you got 2 promotions for booking a European cruise vs. 1 promotion for US-based tour.

Promotions and terms and conditions of the promotions change every month.... just like going to your supermarket,,,, one week the 2 liter bottle of soda is BOGO for 2 for $1.69. The next week it is on sale for $0.99.

I always recommending reading the Terms and Conditions of Promos. NCL tends to hide the link to them. The link is located on the bottom of the promo page.

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board.

Does not apply to the Ice Bars.

Does not include room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Guest who receive the Soda Package may obtain fountain soda at any bar, lounge or restaurant throughout the duration of the cruise.

Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Package prior to cruise, except when booking a Haven or Suite.

18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Packageare included when booking through the Australia office.

I booked our next cruise with CAS and we opted for the drink package. We were charged the 18% gratuities even though we are going to be in a suite. Should I contest this or will they say that we were comped for a lesser cabin and paid to upgrade so we have to pay?

To avoid those who book in Europe getting confused over this (as I was) the promotion over here DOES still include the service charge. This is probably due to EU law rather than NCL's generosity. Our T's & C's are:

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation. Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package. Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer. Ultimate beverage package option includes 18% gratuity on the package. A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board, Applicable taxes, US and VAT may apply based on certain destinations. Does not apply to the Ice Bars. Does not include room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

I booked our next cruise with CAS and we opted for the drink package. We were charged the 18% gratuities even though we are going to be in a suite. Should I contest this or will they say that we were comped for a lesser cabin and paid to upgrade so we have to pay?

Worth a couple of calls. For CAS reservations, you get the promotions of the class you were comped in. So you won't get all four promotions, just the one. And you are technically under the terms of the comped class. You were correctly charged the gratuity. Again, it's worth a couple of calls to try and get the gratuities reversed. Good luck.