long cruises and Prescription drugs

mrsfitz28

I understand if the meds were purchased abroad but if you bought them in U.S. prior to traveling and are returning with excess that were not used, still in U.S. pharmacy packaging......... would they have to be declared? It isn't really importing; it is returning.

But the agent doesn't know that.

You're also supposed to tell customs about cameras, computers and other electronics in your possession before you leave the US so that they won't nab you for smuggling when you return.

As far as customs & immigration go, you're guilty until you can prove your innocence.

We never tell border agents, customs in any country anything extra. We do not volunteer anything.

We answer all questions accurately but we restrict our response only to the question asked. End of.

Volunteering info that is not requested can lead to additional questions/delays, etc.

Take the same approach, on advice, with the tax dept. folks.

I place a lot of confidence on the good sense, experience, and professionalism of border agents. Somehow I cannot see them bring out the cuffs if they discover that we have unwittingly omitted to tell them about a prescription drug. They have much bigger fish to catch than a couple of weary travellers. Yes, there is always the 'new man on the job' but in our experience that only translates into a longer line and perhaps an extra question or two. These folks are smart...they can usually tell the people that need some extra 'attention' as it were. Plus, they have to put up with public...no mean feat day in and day out.

Well, good for you. You do realise, however, that if an agent takes exception to you for any reason whatsoever (which does not have to be explained) you better have declared everything.:D

You're also supposed to tell customs about cameras, computers and other electronics in your possession before you leave the US so that they won't nab you for smuggling when you return.

As far as customs & immigration go, you're guilty until you can prove your innocence.

While I anticipate you will say but how does the agent know THOSE are the exact pills? The agent CAN and DOES know the pharmacy bottle has name, address of pharmacy on the label. It states quantity of pills and date on the bottle shows it is prior to date of trip.

As to cameras etc, if you are carrying the sales slip evidencing the purchase of those items as being in U.S. and prior to your date of travel, that is sufficient.

That was told to me by a now retired Customs Officer who worked Boston for years.

While I anticipate you will say but how does the agent know THOSE are the exact pills? The agent CAN and DOES know the pharmacy bottle has name, address of pharmacy on the label. It states quantity of pills and date on the bottle shows it is prior to date of trip.

As to cameras etc, if you are carrying the sales slip evidencing the purchase of those items as being in U.S. and prior to your date of travel, that is sufficient.

That was told to me by a now retired Customs Officer who worked Boston for years.

In Canada, there has never been a requirement to advise CBSA of items such as cameras and electronics goods being taken out of the country that you plan to return with later, but proof of purchase of recently purchased items was recommended. There was also a small Customs card that you could fill in with detailed information, such as make, model and serial number, and a Customs officer (in those days) would verify the items and put an official stamp on the card. I used to keep the card in my Nikon camera case.

I don't know whether they still have the cards, but I certainly haven't worried about that for ages. If I'm taking any expensive new equipment with me, I simply scan the purchase receipt and have it available on my iPhone.

Whether or not it was ever a requirement to report goods on exiting the US I don't know, but I'd be surprised. A good idea, yes, but requirement?

Decades ago when 35mm cameras were somewhat rare (as opposed to, say, Kodak Instamatics or those 110 cameras) I registered mine with Customs and got a little certificate. Was asked to show it once. Today an overwhelming number of people travel with iDevices of some sort, computers, and digital cameras. My sense is that Customs isn't concerned with that stuff anymore, especially because overseas "bargains" aren't what they used to be. I wouldn't get a Rolex in Curaçao and try to wear it back in nonchalantly on my wrist, though.

After following this thread, I’d like to explain how we carry various documents when we travel. We always take a laptop computer (a Mac of course) when we cruise. I scan all invoices for medications, computers, cameras, etc. This way I have the required information for any warrantee issues with the electronics and a record of the date obtained for all medications.

Only once have I ever needed the information. It was when we were flying into Mexico with several laptop computers to be donated to a Mayan school in the Yucatan. The scans worked just fine.

By scanning all of the documents as we obtain each of the items, there is no additional information that we need to remember to take on our trips. And if customs officers wish to see the information, I can simply boot up my computer.

By the way, to give an idea of the huge medication price increases in the US, I like to use the example of the drug “Actonel”, which is used to help prevent osteoporosis in post menopausal women. It is a pill taken once a week. In the US several years ago (before we had Medicare part D), after getting a prescription from a doctor, it cost around $20 a pill. If bought (legally) from a mail order Canadian pharmacy, it cost about $14 a pill, a reasonable savings. But if bought in Mumbai, it only took a short discussion with a pharmacist (no prescription), and it was $0.50 a pill. And an interesting fact here is that the pills legally bought from a mail order Canadian pharmacy, were supplied in the original Indian packaging with the price in Indian Rupees clearly printed on the package.

Scott & Karen

I always travel with my absolutely necessary meds in original pharmacy container. I know TSA web site says it 'suggests' carrying meds that way but I also know I have seen travelers arguing with TSA because they were confiscating and disposing of their meds carried in little zip locks or in weekly pill holders. Whether they 'can' or not, they do sometimes and I don't want to be the person having my medications taken.

If you travel with any controlled substances, do not take the chance of carrying them out of pharmacy labeled containers. If you carry OTC things such as aspirin, vitamins etc, that's different as they are easily replaced if they are confiscated.

The closest I came to having my meds taken was at FLL airport when my jewelry in my carryon was questioned after x-ray. When the TSA person opened my carryon and saw a baggie with my Rx bottles on the top of the bag, her comment was 'good thing those are in pharmacy bottles or I would have tossed them'. I made careful note of that comment.

Do as you wish; I am a low risk taker and know I do not want my needed medications at risk.

This is so true. We have a friend who is a retired TSA supervisor and he said that some TSA people will seize pills that are not in the original prescription containers. As a transplant patient, that would be disastrous for me so I carry all my prescriptions in their labeled pill bottles. On my cruise this month, I will also have to carry IV meds and supplies so both of our carryons will be full of medicines. I'm envious of people who walk on the plane with just a purse and a book to read.

Decades ago when 35mm cameras were somewhat rare (as opposed to, say, Kodak Instamatics or those 110 cameras) I registered mine with Customs and got a little certificate. Was asked to show it once. Today an overwhelming number of people travel with iDevices of some sort, computers, and digital cameras. My sense is that Customs isn't concerned with that stuff anymore, especially because overseas "bargains" aren't what they used to be. I wouldn't get a Rolex in Curaçao and try to wear it back in nonchalantly on my wrist, though.

I registered my 35mm SLR before our first trip to England many years ago. It was quite new, and I didn't want to have a problem with US Customs on our return. I never had to show the little certificate, but I always carried it in my camera bag. Several cameras later, I've never bothered again.

I think another reason Customs isn't bothered about electronics is that they're looking for other more "serious" things like drugs and explosives.

Those "sniffy dogs" really aren't interested in my laptop or my camera.

edited to add: quote is from Tarpeian Rock, but the quote function isn't working properly for me.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

According to the April 22, 2015 Customs & Border Protection memo there is such a rule..

Quote “We want to inform the public about the requirements for importing prescription medication for personal use,” said Pete Flores, CBP director for the San Diego Field Office Unquote

The URL for the memo is: http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-me...ons-pertaining

Here is the paragraph in this memo, which states this...

Quote In order to avoid delays and possible penalties, U.S. residents are advised to take the following steps: Declare all drugs, medicine, and similar products to a CBP official upon arrival to the U.S.; Carry such substances in their original containers; and Present a valid prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner who is registered with, and authorized by, the DEA to prescribe the medication.unquote

So I'll be a good girl & let them know we're carrying personal Meds with the prescriptions..

I think the key word is IMPORTING. If you did not buy the meds in another country, you are not importing them.

Edited by NMLady

I think the key word is IMPORTING. If you did not buy the meds in another country, you are not importing them.

I don't believe this statement is completely accurate.

IMHO, if you have something outside the country and are bringing it into the country, you are importing it. It would seem to make no difference where you obtained the object.

Now whether the rules are different for importing things that you previously exported from the country, I cannot comment. But I believe you surely would be importing things into the country.

Scott & Karen

IMHO, if you have something outside the country and are bringing it into the country, you are importing it. It would seem to make no difference where you obtained the object.

Now whether the rules are different for importing things that you previously exported from the country, I cannot comment. But I believe you surely would be importing things into the country.

Scott & Karen

Carrying something with you on your travels which leaves home with you and then returns is neither importing nor exporting, it's simply carrying.

Scott & Karen

So do you declare all your jewelry, watches, electronic goods, etc. , which you originally brought from home, every time you re-enter the country? When filling out Customs paperwork when entering a foreign country, do you declare that you are "importing" all your personal items?

I am always surprised at the number of people who do not travel with their meds in their original packaging but choose to carry them in zip lock bags instead. Not a good idea.

In more than a dozen international flights, including random custom check in Caribbean and one on US return, we have never been questioned about the little baggies of pills inside a bigger ziplock. We always have a copy of the Rx's with us but have never had to show it.

In more than a dozen international flights, including random custom check in Caribbean and one on US return, we have never been questioned about the little baggies of pills inside a bigger ziplock. We always have a copy of the Rx's with us but have never had to show it.

I think many people do this. However, no one can be surprised if one day the customs and border agents haul you for secondary. Little baggies of pills are often looked on with great suspicion.;)

Because people here say they have never had a problem with their pills in baggies, the only answer is "yet".

You may get lucky (and I hope that is the case) to never be questioned or worse but as long as you are willing to take that risk, no problem.

DW, for some odd reason, has been targeted for secondary inspection three times over the past few years. It has become a bit of a joke between us.

Twice by US customs in Calgary airport as we were heading south and once in Orlando as we were flying in from Costa Rica. She had her pills in her carry on bag-all together. No prescription, just the pills. Never a problem.....the agents saw them but did not even mention them or ask about them.

DW, for some odd reason, has been targeted for secondary inspection three times over the past few years. It has become a bit of a joke between us.

Twice by US customs in Calgary airport as we were heading south and once in Orlando as we were flying in from Costa Rica. She had her pills in her carry on bag-all together. No prescription, just the pills. Never a problem.....the agents saw them but did not even mention them or ask about them.

That happens to me often in Calgary and I have a nexus card. It's happened more than a couple times in the last few years. It's getting to the point that I'm happy when it doesn't happen. I always keep my meds in the original container because I like to minimize any possible issues and speed things along. It makes no difference to me what other folks do unless they are travelling with me.

Our favorite insurance broker has just published an article on traveling with meds called "Making traveling with medications easier" which lists a number of things you should do. Interestingly, it says:

"TSA does not require that medications have pharmacy-issued labels"

I would have thought that Customs, not the TSA, was the focus of concerns with unlabeled drugs.

My DW is often singled out also. Her theory is that she "ticks three boxes for them" - senior white woman. She occasionally calls herself a trifecta ;)

I would have thought that Customs, not the TSA, was the focus of concerns with unlabeled drugs.

No, as someone else said when you're coming home (and going thru customs) there's not much to worry about. If TSA (on your outbound trip) grips your meds you could be in big trouble.