Paris

singlegrandma2

Thanks for all the advice. Think we may do a private one day tour, the hop on hop off bus one day, and the train to Versailles on the 3rd day. First time I visited Paris, we did all subway travel and I feel like I really missed a lot of the beauty of Paris being underground so much. Several of our group have never been.

Sad world we live in now... but I have no intention of living in fear.

And now it seems as if Brussels had a huge part to play in where the terrorists came from.......if Istanbul and Isreali ports are off limmits because of terrorist problems who know what will be next.

Exactly. And it's no secret Molenbeek (a district of Brussels) is a breeding grounds for extremists. Scary, this place is litteraly 50 km. from my home. Extremists living in Brussels and actively cooperating with extremist groups is not a new thing, unfortunately. Not proud of it, but our country has the highest ratio per capita. I'm not going to dwell on the reason for that, because that might start a too heated discussion, but for some reason our politicians see no harm in welcoming back returning "warriors" from Syria. Those who raised their voices in the past months regarding this issue were portrayed as right wing extremists, while they clearly are not. If you know our country, it's truly (and sadly) no surprise pretty much every attack from IS in the West had major trails leading to Belgium.

A French once told me that "Parisians do not even like the French!" On our last couple of visits to Paris (last year we actually rented an apartment in Paris) we detected a subtle change in attitude towards Americans.....for the better. During a full week in Paris last year, we did not encounter a single incident of rudeness or even a snide remark. In fact, everyone went out of their way to be nice...and this was especially true in small local restaurants where we had to sometimes patiently deal with the language barrier. We even a few Parisians apologize for their poor English...and of course our response was always something along the lines of "your English is much better then our French (which was usually very true).

But the comment Turtles made about cultural awareness is very true. In the US when we walk into a shop we often just browse without saying a word. In France when you walk in anywhere...it is correct to say a friendly "Bonjour" whether or not anyone is listening. And rather then just speaking English and hoping that somebody will understand, it is often helpful to simply ask, "Parlez vous Anglais?" The French are very sensitive about their language and really appreciate hearing folks try a few words...even if it bad French!

Quick story from years ago. At an expensive French restaurant, DW tried to order an entire meal in French (we both studied French in school...but cannot speak the language). The waiter listened patiently and when she was finished he said in perfect King's English, "Madam, do you speak English? Because you speak very bad French!" It was a classic funny moment.

Hank

This really made me laugh. I had a similar experience 40 years ago. I was in my early twenties making my second trip to Europe and first to France. I had taken French for years in school and I couldn't wait to try to speak it to a true Frenchman. My (now ex) husband and I went to a restaurant near the Louvre for lunch and I asked the waiter, "Parlez vous Anglais." He responded, "un peu" (a little). I explained that I spoke French "un peu" and then proceeded to order our meals. When I was done with my halting, slow attempt at his language he smiled and said, "Okay, you want the chicken and your husband wants the veal." Perfect English with only a slight accent! He could have spared me all that trouble but he was so appreciative of my attempt at his language as were the four well dressed businessmen at the table next to us. I almost got a round of applause. It is one on my best memories of the City of Lights. Since that day I have been lucky enough to have traveled to many wonderful places but I have never seen a city that is prettier than Paris.

Like so many people my heart breaks for that beautiful city and its citizens, so many of whom I found to be very friendly and helpful.

I believe the poster who had a terrible time with Parisians on their quick visit also had a terrible time with Romans on their quick visit. Perhaps Europe isn't their thing…

If you're talking about the person I think you're talking about, she seems to have a terrible time everywhere she goes. And I don't think it's because of the people in the countries she visits. I have been wandering around Europe since 1971, and I have never experienced anything but helpful, polite people. BUT---I have always memorized a small number of important phrases before I go and tried to remember that I am a guest in their countries. Most people seemed to be thrilled that I knew the words for please, thank you, and excuse me, and were happy to go on from there helping me. I have actually had shopkeepers go out on the street to try to find someone to assist when our mutual incomprehension became too much---all, I might add, with great good humor.

Edited by Langoustine

I have traveled to Europe many times and did so independently so we got to meet the local people. While there have been a few rude people (very very few),the vast majority have been kind, helpful, courteous and went out of their way to help us. In Denmark, a woman got the keys to open the bathrooms at a palace that was open yet and people on a local train madelsure that we made the right train connection. In Switzerland a man walked us to the correct train platform at the chance of him being late for his train and a woman looked out for us on the trains. A teenager in Lake Como walked us to the bus station. And there were many others who pointed us in right directions. We had lovely conversations with countless strangers. In Paris, our waiter was rude, but he was the only one we encountered on our entire visit. An elderly woman helped us find Notre Dame. My husband had a lovely conversation in the Paris subway with a local. My husband knows some French and I know enough German to get by so we can manage. I think that if you make an effort to address people with respect and courtesy, they will reciprocate with the same courtesy and respect. We loved Paris and all our European travels.

Very wise and excellent comments above by ptrpanpens about Paris and France. We have only been to Paris four times, but have found things and the people there to be good and helpful. Agree that having the right attitude is beneficial!! Knowing a few words of French is good. Hope to back in the future!!

This morning on the news, there has been lots of serious discussions on these various issues. In reading many news stories from a number of international sources, there was some very interesting and moving pictures from around the world as many key world landmarks were lighted in the French tri-colors to support those in Paris. Below are a few of those visuals as a tribute to the courage and tragedy in Paris.

Vive la France ! is a great patriotic exclamation that you might hear on Bastille Day or during French elections. This great phrase is somewhat similar to our "God bless America" and the UK's "God save the Queen".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 189,002 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some visuals from places we have visited that have been lighted during the past day or so in the tri-colors of France. First is the Arctic Cathedral in Tromso/Norway. Second is the Sydney Opera House. Third is Sydney's City Hall. Fourth is the London Eye. Fifth is the Arch at Washington Square in New York City.:

Nov2015PixsA10_zpsbwcw32or.jpg

Nov2015PixsA11_zpsi5tnc3ka.jpg

Nov2015PixsA7_zpswihwovb7.jpg

Nov2015PixsA9_zpss9g7uf79.jpg

Nov2015PixsA8_zpscwgtee9v.jpg

Thanks you Terry, as always for sharing your pictures with us :)

Thanks you Terry, as always for sharing your pictures with us :)

Appreciate your kind comments. Just wanted to be clear that these pictures with the French tri-color night lighting were not taken by me. These were from the Bing search engine that pulled up these visual images up from various posted news media sites around the world.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,236 views for this posting.

Appreciate your kind comments. Just wanted to be clear that these pictures with the French tri-color night lighting were not taken by me. These were from the Bing search engine that pulled up these visual images up from various posted news media sites around the world.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 126,236 views for this posting.

Terry, I always enjoy your posts and fabulous photos. You really should be a photojournalist.

You played a big part in my booking my one and only Med cruise in 2013 and as you well know, once you go, you want to return. 😃

I still remember touring Ephesus and seeing all the sites that you photographed and posted and thought of you. What an incredible day that was!

Booked another Med cruise for next Sept with a lot of new ports. Sadly, my husband wants to cancel due to the recent attacks in Paris.

I'm still committed, so my son make take his place.

Praying for the people of France and that we can all travel freely without the threat of terrorism.

Now, I'll start reading about your cruise " down under."

Thanks again!

Terry, I always enjoy your posts and fabulous photos. You really should be a photojournalist. You played a big part in my booking my one and only Med cruise in 2013 and as you well know, once you go, you want to return. 😃 I still remember touring Ephesus and seeing all the sites that you photographed and posted and thought of you. What an incredible day that was! Booked another Med cruise for next Sept with a lot of new ports. Sadly, my husband wants to cancel due to the recent attacks in Paris. I'm still committed, so my son make take his place. Praying for the people of France and that we can all travel freely without the threat of terrorism. Now, I'll start reading about your cruise "down under." Thanks again!

Appreciate so much your super kind and nice comments. Good luck with your next Med cruise next September. Where are you sailing from, what ports are scheduled, etc.?? Happy to share more visuals and/or answer any questions. We've been to 22 different countries in Europe, so there is a possibility that I can offer some ideas.

Historically, there have been many "incidents" in Europe during the past several decades. I would encourage your husband to re-consider and join you on this trip.

After you go through my Australia/NZ summary, post something there on that thread with any of your comments, impressions, etc. Plus, details for this upcoming cruise so that I can follow-up and share more information. Posting there would be best for me to make sure that I see your follow-up.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 32,439 views for these postings.

I realize that later Terry :)

Dear fellow cruisers, hi from Paris

A very heartful thank you four your support. I'm personally very touched to see the three colours on Washington Square, the Sydney Opera and many more buildings. Thank you Terry for posting that.

A special hug for

Least to say we're quite shaken and emotional. Just this morning the Police confronted in their flat armed terrorists who had very bad plans for shopping malls. Morning long shootings.

However the rest of the city is quiet and everyone lives normally, we're just a bit less louder than usual :) ... As all of you enjoy the good life we have on cruises, Parisians are not ready to kneel and forget their lifestyle.

We'll certainly prefer to sip good champagne. In the coat of arms of Paris the latin motto is indeed " Fluctuat nec mergitur" ( She is tossed by the wave but does not sink )

See you at some Captain's cocktail !

Singlegrandma2, you will have a wonderful time in Paris. We are all stunned, shocked, and outraged about the recent bombings in Paris. We cannot live in fear and glad that you are still planning your trip. I can highly recommend a tour guide that we used for a tour of Paris. We docked LeHavre and had Christophe Burtaire pick us up at the port and drive to Paris. It was a long trip but one that I am so glad we were able to take. Christophe planned the time we had in Paris so that we were able to see all of the bucket list sights. There were 8 of us that traveled to Paris with Christophe. He no longer does the port pickups as it is too long a distance for him for a one-day tour. However, he is available to do tours from Paris and outlying areas. We had an absolutely wonderful day with Chris. He has an excellent knowledge of history, knows how to skirt around the city so that we weren't sitting in traffic. Here is his website:

http://www.driverguidefrance.com/

We also were able to visit the Eiffel Tower. I purchased our tickets prior to leaving home and was glad that I did. Tickets are limited and only so many are allowed per day. Chris worked around our Eiffel visit and showed us other sights, dropped us off for our designated time and was waiting for us after we visited the Eiffel Tower. It was an absolutely phenomenal day in Paris. Wished we had more time to spend there but glad that we were able to see the City of Lights. If you decide to travel in Paris on your own have a wonderful and safe trip.