Best phone plans for cruises?

jpcdds6

Anyone have any suggestions for the best phone plan to switch to for our cruise. Our carrier is AT&T. I can't remember what I did last time.

We recently were on a cruise out of Italy and had the International Package with unlimited texts (we generally don't make telephone calls), but saw on a news report the other day that when you get the International Package - make sure that it is NOT the one that excludes cruises (didn't even know that was an option). A lady had not read the small print and came back home to a $3000 bill from AT&T. Who knew?

Cole

I use the "turn off the d@mn phone" plan when cruising. If it's an emergency the folks back home have the info on how to reach us through the ship, otherwise it can wait.

Best is going to depend on your needs and where you're going. I'm not sure that AT&T has a specific plan for Norwegian, they're not listed at https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

If your needs are minor, consider getting wifi somewhere in-port and using skype or facetime to check in with people back home. Or get the appropriate international roaming package and call them while at port.

It's really a matter of figuring out your needs and then identifying the option that meets those needs.

OP, it would help if you are more specific about your device and the ship you are sailing on :confused:

Assumptions: you currently do not have any international plans, which might or might not cover calls onboard any cruise ship (and, nothing specific on NCL's fleet), your mobile # is the main/established contact from the office/admin/labs/patients, etc. and paying a "reasonable" rates for taking calls is fine/billable/reimbursed.

First, while setting things up via AT&TWS, make sure you have international roaming activated and local coverage in your ports outside US waters have partner coverage, 611 customer care can check & verify that for you, and carry an extra spare battery (if, user-replaceable) or external USB battery pack (I use a 5,600 maH Anker slim rechargeable pack - almost same size as an iPhone 5s, my spare backup phone - 2 cycles for my Nexus (Android) phone, as roaming while standby do "drain" or discharge the regular battery (designed for a day's normal usage) a lot faster, especially if data is on.

Turn off cellular data & use only WiFi, voice calls & SMS will be allowed - avoid expensive data (unless, you need to access email & review lab results, etc.) - then, be prepared to pay for $$$ data. Compare costs of ship's PAID WiFI data plan (good only onboard) options vs. only via AT&T (usable onboard & in ports) Following is the latest guide from your provider's website - call before leaving to confirm & set things up - http://www.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1581&MNC=CING

As a backup, check & confirm if your device is unlocked for using any Sim card, as you can typically buy an island Sim card for use, although - practically speaking, often not worth the trouble.

We use T-Mobile Simple Choice NA plan (soon AMP'ed) so free to call in Mexico & Canada, and global roaming data in 120 countries at no extra costs, plus WiFi calling - etc. It can get complicated in setting things up to take advantage of the best deals out there, unless you plan to cruise on a more frequent basis & travel abroad. (Now leaning toward switching to Project Fi by Google or a/k/a Alphabet .... soon)

Called Verizon the other day. I'll be in Epic and int'l plan is $40. 100 minutes, 100 texts and 100 mb/Gb?of data.

I can pretty much guarantee, without even looking, that there's NO way Verizon is giving anyone 100 gigabytes of international data for a measly $40. I'd count on that being 100 megabytes (which isn't much these days) barring written documentation to the contrary.

OP, it would help if you are more specific about your device and the ship you are sailing on :confused:

Assumptions: you currently do not have any international plans, which might or might not cover calls onboard any cruise ship (and, nothing specific on NCL's fleet), your mobile # is the main/established contact from the office/admin/labs/patients, etc. and paying a "reasonable" rates for taking calls is fine/billable/reimbursed.

First, while setting things up via AT&TWS, make sure you have international roaming activated and local coverage in your ports outside US waters have partner coverage, 611 customer care can check & verify that for you, and carry an extra spare battery (if, user-replaceable) or external USB battery pack (I use a 5,600 maH Anker slim rechargeable pack - almost same size as an iPhone 5s, my spare backup phone - 2 cycles for my Nexus (Android) phone, as roaming while standby do "drain" or discharge the regular battery (designed for a day's normal usage) a lot faster, especially if data is on.

Turn off cellular data & use only WiFi, voice calls & SMS will be allowed - avoid expensive data (unless, you need to access email & review lab results, etc.) - then, be prepared to pay for $$$ data. Compare costs of ship's PAID WiFI data plan (good only onboard) options vs. only via AT&T (usable onboard & in ports) Following is the latest guide from your provider's website - call before leaving to confirm & set things up - http://www.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1581&MNC=CING

As a backup, check & confirm if your device is unlocked for using any Sim card, as you can typically buy an island Sim card for use, although - practically speaking, often not worth the trouble.

We use T-Mobile Simple Choice NA plan (soon AMP'ed) so free to call in Mexico & Canada, and global roaming data in 120 countries at no extra costs, plus WiFi calling - etc. It can get complicated in setting things up to take advantage of the best deals out there, unless you plan to cruise on a more frequent basis & travel abroad. (Now leaning toward switching to Project Fi by Google or a/k/a Alphabet .... soon)

Iphone6 is my device and I will be sailing on the Star. Do not currently have an international plan. I think the last time I was out of the country I purchased one from AT&T for one month and cancelled on my return. They still charged for the entire month. I think it was around $80. Not sure about the data package.

If you're going on the Star and you have an iphone6 then your cheapest calling option is probably going to be the iConcierge app referenced previously.

AT&T doesn't have a cruise ship package for Norwegian last I looked, so you get the pay-per-use rates.

Buying one of their international packages would help when in port, but I'm unsure how far into the ship the shore signals penetrate and it won't do anything for you when at sea.

Edited by gpb11

If you're going on the Star and you have an iphone6 then your cheapest calling option is probably going to be the iConcierge app referenced previously.

AT&T doesn't have a cruise ship package for Norwegian last I looked, so you get the pay-per-use rates.

Buying one of their international packages would help when in port, but I'm unsure how far into the ship the shore signals penetrate and it won't do anything for you when at sea.

Thanks for the info.

Iphone6 is my device and I will be sailing on the Star. Do not currently have an international plan. I think the last time I was out of the country I purchased one from AT&T for one month and cancelled on my return. They still charged for the entire month. I think it was around $80. Not sure about the data package.

How soon are you sailing on the Star - Caribbean 7 nights ?? as 2 of the port stops are in Mexico, which I believe is covered at no costs as part of AT&T's "domestic" plan, similar/same as T-Mobile (which also cover free call from/to Canada).

a. If your iphone6 isn't running the latest iOS (9.1) - get it updated unless you have other reasons to not do so.

b. download NCL's free iConcierge App before sailing, install on iPhone - it's free to use some of the features on ship's free WiFi inIRAnet system, and it can be used to make outgoing calls - for less than $1 USD back to the US, cheaper than AT&T's plans (which is on a pay-as-you-go basis, use & get charged for incoming call, then, hangup & call back)

c. Have your international roaming turned on for the account, to make/receive calls outside US waters - data is by the kb/MB and expensive, turn your cellular data OFF - you voice calls & SMS will continue to work, at roaming rates. Disable all those background data SYNC on the iPhone & App updates, those are evils in running up huge bills for unsuspecting users.

d. If you expect to get a good # of calls & lengthy consultation daily, suggestion #c might not be wise if you don't want spend a fortune. Consider a new T-Mobile Simple Choice Plan for 1 month, activate & get a new mobile # to use - then cancel after 30 days. Cost is $50 for 1 month + taxes/fees for unlimited voice calling, texting & starting Nov. 15th - 2 GB of fast 4G LTE dat included, roaming in Mexico & Caribbeans should be covered at 2.5G/Edge or 3G speed (slower but usable) for free. That would give you pretty good coverage on the ship & on land in the ports, relayed via ship's satellite towers using your carrier's plan/signal. You will need a nano Sim, T-Mobile sell the activation kit/Sim for $15 but often free during promotional period - with new services, local store or a good reseller/agent at the big mall kiosk often will give the "kit" away since you are bringing your own device.

You can have your calls to the regular mobile # forwarded to this temporary T-Mo # for the duration, slower data is included on the ship AND in port, the satellite tower will act like it's your T-mobile tower, at no extra charges even it is "roaming"

Footnote - counting on iConcierge alone is not, IMO, sufficient coverage for the time you are on shore. Do you need data access to read email, reports, lab results & possibly log into eClinical, etc. ?? while on shore as well as 3 AM if a consult is needed.

Edited by mking8288

tmobile has unlimited data any country you go for no charge, albeit it is mostly 2G. You can make outgoing calls with google talk. I had my tablet turned on on the plane, and as I was flying over different countries in Europe, I was getting popup notification saying I got free data in such and such country.

I can pretty much guarantee, without even looking, that there's NO way Verizon is giving anyone 100 gigabytes of international data for a measly $40. I'd count on that being 100 megabytes (which isn't much these days) barring written documentation to the contrary.

haha- whichever is smallest- sorry I'm not good with my bytes- my daughter has this plan and goes over each month but not much only $25 worth

tmobile has unlimited data any country you go for no charge, albeit it is mostly 2G. You can make outgoing calls with google talk.

I'm not on TMO and haven't tried this, but EDGE (2G) data rates are pretty slow. It's improbable that you'd have a good experience using a VOIP service such as Google Talk at that data rate. Messaging would be fine though if that satisfied your needs.

This is a very good deal if you are on Verizon. However a few very important clarifications:

First- The 100 minutes are from foreign countries and NOT while on the ship at sea. You will still pay a very high cost per minute while on the ships cell network (look at your network shown at top of your phone); when docked they almost always turn off the ships system.

Second- The $40 charge is for a given 30 day billing cycle. So if your billing date ends say on the 3rd of each month and your cruise straddles that date you will need to pay it twice.

Third- If your friends text pictures you really need this plan as my wife has learned...really burns up data! We have used it a few times now.

Finally you definitely need to tell Verizon ahead of time every country you expect to be in to make sure they set it up right.

As others are alluding to, make sure you understand that "cruise ship" is NOT equal to "International." International is when you are in port and is the same as anyone else traveling to that country. These are where the international plans come in. When you are at sea, the cruise ship will have its own system that sends your calls via satellite. Here the ship acts like a "foreign country" but one NOT in your calling plan. They can charge your wireless operator any rate they want for service, and the operator justs put it on your bill should you have international roaming turned on.

Just understand who you are connected to, as it will determine which rate you pay. (It will say on the top of your phone screen who you are connected to. )

One final point. Before you leave home, update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) on your phone. Your phone has a list of "preferred wireless operators" for every country, and this can change with time. This list tells your phone who it can connect with internationally. Just google "Preferred Roaming List" and Verizon or Sprint, etc. and there are simple instructions on the Internet. It usually only takes a minute or two to update, and you need to do it before you leave.

NOTE: Preferred Roaming List (PRL) are only required for CDMA operators, so NOT AT&T and T-Mobile.

Edited by ano