Expensive massages on ships

Hi,

I'm going on Voyager next Wednesday the 18th and love massages but they are so expensive at like $170 or something like that. Why are they so expensive?

Does anyone know if you can get cheaper massages at ports such as Vila and Noumea where we are going?

Hi Rencruzr

Lucky you going on the 18th (so jealous). We are not going until January so would love to know about the great time you are having. Any chance that you could post pics of cruise compass, drink prices and room service menu would be great. Also pics of ship, deck 12 cabins, etc, would be great too.

Thanks and have a wonderful time.

Hi,

I'm going on Voyager next Wednesday the 18th and love massages but they are so expensive at like $170 or something like that. Why are they so expensive?

Does anyone know if you can get cheaper massages at ports such as Vila and Noumea where we are going?

I totally agree with you. I would have loved to have a massage on the cruises I've been on, but the prices are just so over the top. I pay about $70 per hour on land and expect to pay a premium at sea, but NOT that much over the normal price !! And yes, there are cheaper massages at the ports. I just looked up a well known review site, and one Thai Massage place in Vila gets excellent reviews, and I'm sure there would be similar places in Noumea. However, whether you would be able to get an appointment on the spot as a walk in - not sure about that ??

An International Company Steiner virtually have a monopoly on Spa Services under all sorts of brand names on most cruise lines. Therefore they have a monopoly on massage and spa services, and exhtort ridiculous charges for such services from a captive audience. Be aware also that your cruise line gets a hefty percentage commission also from whatever the Spa service provider charges pax . In Asian ports especially China and Phillipines you can get much cheaper massage services ashore .

Hi Rencruzr

Lucky you going on the 18th (so jealous). We are not going until January so would love to know about the great time you are having. Any chance that you could post pics of cruise compass, drink prices and room service menu would be great. Also pics of ship, deck 12 cabins, etc, would be great too.

Thanks and have a wonderful time.

Sure thing summer I'll try get a few of those things...we are staying in a junior suite on deck 10....I don't think those on deck 12 will let me in their cabins for photo taking;)

Being off shore I wonder. My understanding is that AU private health insurance doesn't cover medical costs when O'S (thus the need for travel insurance).

My health insurance provider is not a normal one that most can join also have DVA cover for specific injuries but I have to pay then claim back the cost when overseas

I had a massage once on an RCI cruise. Complete rubbish.

Much better on the islands for about $10-$15.

Sometimes they will have a 10 minutes for $10-$20? on the pool deck.

I enjoy that one.

Sea you on board.:)

Edited by Aussie FF

Maybe experiences vary, but the ones I've seen on islands are nowhere near the standard of those on the ship.

Of course, they're also nowhere near the price so they have that in their favour!

The ones operating on board concessions aren't overpriced for their market i.e. they also operate shoreside venues at a similar price for the environment. While the ships are dearer, it's more that they're high end operators rather than just charging more for being onboard.

I have found that most cruise lines have great spa specials in the second half of the cruise, especially the last port days. Sometimes you can get a massage, facial, etc for $99 that may have originally cost say $225 a few days prior.