Dinner Question - Is this rude?

Cruzin-K

Exactly, going over to a table of people you've had no prior contact with and have to eat with them, talk to them, even if they turn out to be horrible...) ugh. Awkward dinner conversation. Just what I want on a vacation. I'll sit with a kindle instead thanks. :)

That's why I like the NCL setup for solo travelers - if its awkward, you can still dine in the MDR by yourself because there's no assigned dining anywhere on their ships. You can go to completely different MDR or same one without getting the maitre'd to do something special; O'Sheehan's (24-hour complimentary dining place) or go to one of the specialty restaurants - there's so many table for 2 there on their ships, its like pick one to sit at. :)

Edited by maywell

That's why I like the NCL setup for solo travelers - if its awkward, you can still dine in the MDR by yourself because there's no assigned dining anywhere on their ships. You can go to completely different MDR or same one without getting the maitre'd to do something special; O'Sheehan's (24-hour complimentary dining place) or go to one of the specialty restaurants - there's so many table for 2 there on their ships, its like pick one to sit at. :)

I'm trying a solo cabin on RCI anthem of the seas next, dynamic choice dining, so I can eat at any of the free restaurants anytime, similar to freestyle. No studio lounge or host so I'll see if anyone shows up for solo gatherings. If not, I'm fine on my own. Looking forward to comparing the two lines for solos.

Edited by Tura Lura

I guess I've just never had many bad experiences dining with strangers. Been cruising since I was 7 (no kidding), and I can only think of two "bad" dinner guests in many, many cruises since then.

With anytime dining, I'm only "stuck" with someone for one meal anyway. And hey, if it's terrible, I've got some good stories to tell when I get home, right? ;)

Most solos prefer to be put with other solos. Why would you want to be a third wheel to a couple or a group? I would feel weird sitting with two couples and me. And I don't want the awkward questions about why I'm on my own. I'd rather eat on my own, but if I'm going to be put with others, then yes please to a table of other solo travelers.

I can't imagine why anybody would think it was their business to ask you questions, awkward or otherwise, about why you are solo. I would probably answer such a question with "and why do you need to know that?" And ask for a different table.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

I can't imagine why anybody would think it was their business to ask you questions, awkward or otherwise, about why you are solo. I would probably answer such a question with "and why do you need to know that?" And ask for a different table.

You'll be surprised how nosey people are throughout a ship, not just at the dinner table. They see or notice something that appears to them like a unicorn, like a solo traveler, & ask and/or make inappropriate questions / comments to person to the point it looks so un-PC and different levels of just plain wrong. One or 3 questions/comments of that nature for a week is pretty minor but getting 3 or more per day is sheer overkill - that's when you have to ask yourself if want to sail that line/ship ever again as a soloer or even when you go with as group / couple.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Being solo does not define my existence. When I'm solo (not semi-solo, with a dance group) I want to be seated with others who share my interests (although when solo, I'm often not much interested in a heavy meal in the MDR early in the evening).

I've heard many more than one comment like Waynetor's that women often turn out to be clingy. GLBT, seems to be a 50-50 split between those who just want a gay hook-up and are offended by straights, and those who welcome anyone gay-friendly.

I agree it's polite to be proactive and ask but not insist, in my case it's easy, I can say "I'll be dancing at..." because that's where I will be.