Carnival Muster Drill

JLBellaCC

After 28 Carnival cruises and 6 on other lines I've never been checked off a list at any station with the funnel friends. All I see is a clicker in the hand of someone at the station counting people.

Only on RC and then only on the Majesty did they check off our cabin number.

On Carnival all I've seen is a verification that our cabin was empty.

While it's been hot, the drill hasn't lasted longer than 30 min from the time the horn sounds until we were dismissed. That's experience from 9 ships in 5 ports. We also haven't been required to wear lifejackets in nearly a decade.

It's also been relatively quiet.

As to the claim that "they don't start the muster still until everyone is there" I'm not so sure. The next time you cruise look and see how many walk up after the drill had started.

In a few days I'll see if they scan cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Carnival Pride the room steward came around, reminded us that Muster was about to happen and then he and his team went into each cabin to make sure everyone was out. They put a sticky on the door of each cabin they "cleared".

How do you get to be in the special needs muster? I'm traveling with an infant and a school age child. It would be much easier to manage them.

The special needs muster is for people with special needs which require accommodation, not for traveling convenience. The room provided is usually quite small.

The special needs muster is for people with special needs which require accommodation, not for traveling convenience. The room provided is usually quite small.

Call me crazy (others have) but why not let the our cruise host share with your fellow passenger what is/is not protocols?

How many infants do you see at muster drill standing in the area around the lifeboats? I cannot remember one in a bunch of cruises.

Edited by BallFour4

Next thing you know they are going to bring the "dinger" that they swipe our S&S cards in when we get off the ship and swipe your card to know you are there! :rolleyes: We try to get there at the last minute so we are at the tail end..we can be first out of the club or theatre and we hang back and let everyone pass us then we are at the end again and when it's over we bust a move on the stairs back to our cabin. No elevator..you'll be waiting all day;)

We started cruising Princess in 2013 and they have used scanners to check in people at the muster stations. We also try to be the at the front of the muster group. After muster is over, we go to the railing for a few minutes until the crowd is out of the stairwell area.

How do you get to be in the special needs muster? I'm traveling with an infant and a school age child. It would be much easier to manage them.

Sorry. Having young kids isn't special needs. It's for people with some type of impairment or mobility issues.

Edited by Rosefloater

On our recent Magic Cruise I was pleasantly surprised that the "muster drill" as we knew it has been replaced by a mandatory "safety briefing". We no longer had to report to lifeboat stations, line up, etc. We just had to go to designated lounges and sit (in air-conditioned comfort) and listen to safety and evacuation instructions. Our cruise director Dr. E actually made this entertaining with his use of funny voices, etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our recent Magic Cruise I was pleasantly surprised that the "muster drill" as we knew it has been replaced by a mandatory "safety briefing". We no longer had to report to lifeboat stations, line up, etc. We just had to go to designated lounges and sit (in air-conditioned comfort) and listen to safety and evacuation instructions. Our cruise director Dr. E actually made this entertaining with his use of funny voices, etc

Depends on the ship. Still have to go to life boats on the Miracle.

Princess actually scans your card and knows who has been there and actually has a follow up for those who missed it lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's how they did it on my last NCL cruise. They also said anybody that didn't have their card scanned had to go through the process the next day, even if they were there but neglected to get the scan. I don't know how or if they did that because I didn't hear the muster blasts at anytime the next day.

When DH and I took our first cruise on the Destiny in 1999 we did not attend the muster drill. :p

That was the ONLY cruise where we have booked Carnival air simply because we did not know any better.

They flew us same day from Bangor to Miami with two stops along the way. Can you start feeling the stress? And it was winter.

We arrived MIA at 2:30 and stood waiting with others for our bus. There were passengers from other ships so not exactly sure what the transportation was all about. They took over an hour to collect everyone from other flights, load the luggage, and then SLOWLY made their way to the terminals.

Another couple was boarding Destiny with us and people in the terminal did a 2 minute check in for us and someone walked us onto the ship.

I set foot on Destiny at 4:01. Sailing time was 4pm. Stress level is through the roof and not an open bar in sight!

The muster drill was in full swing.

The four of us stood at guest services waiting for our sail and sign cards as they had been put on the ship. We never 'dinged' on for our first cruise.

When the muster drill was over, they gave us our cards. We dumped our luggage in our cabin and went to find a bar!

I suppose that since we were not technically aboard (having never dinged on?) they weren't too worried about head counts!

Moral: Go a day or two ahead and don't trust someone else to make your travel arrangements.