Ushuaia & Punta Arenas Pierside Booking?

MarAgnew

Can you book excursions pier side in Ushuaia and Punta Arenas? My concern is that if I book private excursions and the ship is unable to port due to the weather that I will lose the money that I paid to book the excursion. I know that if I book with the cruise line that it's not a problem, but we prefer the private tours. Thanks for your input.

This past spring in Ushuaia tours were available for booking on the pier. At the end of the long dock, as you walk toward the shore, you will see several steep roofed huts to the right at the end of the pier; these structures are booths for tour operators (main offices are located elsewhere). We were on a B2B2B so were in Ushuaia twice and booked with Pira Tours for both port stops; one of the huts was theirs and that was where we met our guide. Also, a number of taxi drivers were also at the end of the pier offering tours.

Due to high winds, which closed the port, we missed Punta Arenas.

Don't make the assumption that you will lose money.

In this area often you can make bookings for tours with no up front money but if there is some just discuss with the tour operator ahead of time. I've never had a problem getting money back if the ship could not get to port.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...