Trouble with La Borreal.

The video shows that the tenders were launched, presumably most people/passengers were in them; there were 2 life rafts and I would think that it was crew members on the deck. The report said that people were winched from the deck and life rafts but no mention of the tenders, which were under their own power.

A good job to avert what could have been a tragedy but terrible for Ponant.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Nice ship, I remember seeing her while in SPB. The article doesn't say what is happening with the ship... bit weird since they say all crew were rescued, when normally essential crew would remain rather than abandon.

It looks like tugs are bringing her into the Falklands.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-forces-go-to-assistance-of-stricken-cruise-liner-in-the-falklands

Everyone was billeted to homes in Stanley and given clothing from locals and they are all flying out on a charter flight today (well Saturday in FI - not today our time here!).

All life boats were deployed and several inflatable life rafts. Choppers came from nearby oil rigs to assist in retrieving those from the decks.

Everyone was billeted to homes in Stanley and given clothing from locals and they are all flying out on a charter flight today (well Saturday in FI - not today our time here!).

All life boats were deployed and several inflatable life rafts. Choppers came from nearby oil rigs to assist in retrieving those from the decks.

Ok thanks for the info. What I'm still curious about is why anyone needed to winched off the ship deck at all?

Ok thanks for the info. What I'm still curious about is why anyone needed to winched off the ship deck at all?

The wind may have made the later evacuations necessary or perhaps they just thought it was easier that way.:D

Just happy everyone was safe and looked after.

I read about this on the ponant Facebook page this morning, as we are booked on le boreal, Antarctica cruise January 4th 2017.

Hopefully nothing major, good to know the evacuation went well and there were no injuries.

Hopefully they will have her all fixed and ready to go.:D

Hopefully they will have her all fixed and ready to go.:D

I hope so too!!!

We have just over a year to go, unfortunately it seems there is significant damage, not sure how long it will take to repair but hopefully weeks and not months. G adventures have just cancelled some cruises to Antarctica on the expedition (at very late notice) over the next few weeks, hopefully no one has rebooked on le boreal:eek:

I'm sure perfectly Perth will keep us updated ( as the resident Antarctic expert:))

I hope so too!!!

We have just over a year to go, unfortunately it seems there is significant damage, not sure how long it will take to repair but hopefully weeks and not months. G adventures have just cancelled some cruises to Antarctica on the expedition (at very late notice) over the next few weeks, hopefully no one has rebooked on le boreal:eek:

I'm sure perfectly Perth will keep us updated ( as the resident Antarctic expert:))

Nup Perfectly Perth is heading off to Norfolk Island in an hour and will have no internet so wont be in touch with my friends working on the ships or living in Falklands ! You will all have to update me on my return :)