Age demographic on a cruise to Papua New Guinea

Cevchris83

Hi

I have just booked a 15 day cruise on golden princess to Papua New Guinea.

My wife and I are in our early 30's.

my parents have been Papua New Guinea on a cruise and said that there will be no one our age on the cruise. This has got me worried I have made a huge mistake booking this cruise.

My question is would there be people my age on this particular itinerary?

Do you really need people your age to have a good time? there will probably be some your age - most likely they will come with children...

There is a board here for OZ/NZ cruisers, and you might ask there about their experiences. EM

Australians have four weeks annual leave a year.

You probably find that there might not be as many in your age.

I've never been to PNG, but the South Pacifc cruises tend to have more people in their 40/50s and some 30s. However the majority of the passengers will be older.

If your concerned about the demographics. Then you might need to look at one of the PO Australia ships. I believe they are the only other line really doing the PNG route in depth.

Edited by icat2000

Hi

I have just booked a 15 day cruise on golden princess to Papua New Guinea.

My wife and I are in our early 30's.

my parents have been Papua New Guinea on a cruise and said that there will be no one our age on the cruise. This has got me worried I have made a huge mistake booking this cruise.

My question is would there be people my age on this particular itinerary?

Yes, there might be a few, but the longer the cruise the older the passengers based. You will be in the minority. I would assume a 15-day cruise would get mostly older couples and retirees-50+. I did a 10-night Panama Canal cruise on Princess and most everyone was 60+, but I did find a few younger people my age 30's. If you go over school holidays or summer you might get more extended families and more younger people; but otherwise most younger people don't the have funds nor time to do those longer exotic cruises. Plus I don't think most people in their 30's are too interested in visiting Papua New Guinea. They want a shorter sun, fun, beaches and booz cruise. That's just the reality check.

Before you cancel, check out the Facebook Princess page and post your question there. The page is closed to the extent that you have to request permission to join.

I am fascinated by the numbers of Aussies posting there. I had no idea there was such a large Aussie Princess population but there seem to be at least two Princess ships home porting there. Also, to them the Pacific islands seem to be their version of our Carribean.

Finally, this cruiser in her forties loves "exotic" locales rather than just beach runs. 😊

Thanks Nyteacher I will do that. I feel a bit better about my decision to cruise there now.

Yeah the reason I chose this cruise is because I have done enough island cruises and I like princess cruises.

I admit 15 day cruises is my limit in days I can get off work. And going to PNG I don't have worry about flying home like I would if I went on a cruise the would end in Asia.

If it helps my wife and I and 2 young daughters will be on the cruise as well - we booked a month or so ago and we are in our late 30's early 40's. I think as it is outside of school holiday we might be of the minority, but I prefer the grand class ships and it seems it has been only P&O or the sun class ships that have been doing PNG up until this offered cruise.

We're sailing on Sea Princess to PNG in 3 days. We're 65+, I hope there's not too many oldies but I also hope it's not over run with "schoolies" but I think they'de rather go on P&O, Carnival or RCI to the South Pacific on party ships.

For our US friends schoolies week starting this weekend for Queensland school leavers and next weekend for New South Wales is a bit like your spring break. They'll party and drink all night and sleep all day.

I'll post a rough demographic breakdown for our cruise when we get back.

We sailed to PNG in November 2014. Age groups were varied,some Oder, some mid and a few younger ones (anyone under 30 is young to me). Not many kids but it was still school time. I am in my 60's, my daughter in her 40's, we had a great time, loved the islands, the people were very friendly and so very shy and unassuming. Cruise passengers we mixed with were of various age groups, we are pretty social and chat to everyone. This is a special place to visit, so different from South Pacific. Hope you decide to go. My daughter said the snorkelling was the best, better than Whitsundays and Lifou.