Shopping - Are prices really better in St. Thomas?

cessnabmw

I cannot speak for prices in Canada (we see you are from Toronto) since your taxes tend to make some products more expensive. But when compared to what we can get in the USA, we think that St Thomas is no longer a bargain. In fact, we have actually priced-out certain watches and cameras in St Thomas and later found them available for less money on the internet. And one needs to be very careful about Gray Market merchandise sold in St Thomas (this would include electronics, computers, and cameras) that do not carry a manufacturer's warranty. Three weeks ago we were again in St Thomas and went to buy some expensive Cognac...only to find that the prices were not much better then in our own State (where booze is expensive). It was kind of a shocker since we used to get great buys on expensive Scotch and Cognacs in St Thomas. We actually left without buying anything! Our own experience is that prices are actually better in St Maarten although they also sell a lot of Gray Market stuff.

Hank

I don't know about prices in Canada, but typically US residents will save a minimum of 5 - 8% on watches, electronics and cameras. St. Thomas has become our go to place to buy electronics watches and cameras. Our savings are usually closer to 155 off what we pay at home due to taxes that we don't have to pay.

Most, if not all, products come with complete US warranties, they are not gray market items. The key is you have to know what you will pay at home and what type of warranty is offered if that is important.

It never hurts to shop and usually you can find some really good bargains.

Authorized retailers do not sell designer products online for the most part. Many people, instead of shopping for "bargains" are shopping for things they want to touch and feel before buying and the items aren't sold near them, haven't found what they're looking for at home or online, or want something unique that's not sold online.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

St. Thomas, being an unincorporated territiory of the US, allows favourable treatment to US travellers buying stuff. Canadians (Including other foreign nationals), have to take into account currency exchange rates, taxes and duties when bringing stuff home, in addition heir duty free allowances are not as favourable as those in the US.

Having said that, you also need to know what you are buying and how much it would cost back home; warranties provided may not be valid where you live.

If you know, for example, the model of watch you want than you can price it at home or on the internet to see if it is worth buying on one of the islands. The same model of watch may not be cheaper - just don't fall in love with it. Trouble is, if it turns out to be cheaper, you can't go back next day to make the purchase.

Prices on the islands, for tourists anyway, are catching up on with the rest of the world and sometimes prices on the ship can be less expensive.

NAGooner

Like most things the key is to do the research up front so you know the price ahead of time.

Sometimes we find better pricing at St. Thomas. We prefer St. Maarten.

But sometimes the prices are not any better.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

A few years ago we were burglarized and I had an expensive Swiss watch stolen. Since we were going on a cruise I thought, St. Thomas!

I priced the watches I was interested in locally and online before going. I couldn't find a price anywhere in St. Thomas that even matched the best deal I found at a local jeweler. I think before the Internet and Amazon, there were deals to be had there. There still could be, just do your homework first.