Ages of passengers on HAL

koss78b2

My wife and I are doing a 12 day Adriatic Sea cruise on the Oosterdam in April. 11 ports 12 days and only 1 sea day. We are young. We are both in our early 50's and exercise every day and eat healthy. We know he average age on this trip will be way older than us but we don't care. Older folks can be pretty funny. We figure with so many port days the majority will hit the sack early. We might even do that a few times with so many ports. The only thing we did differently was to book more private tours on our own. We didn't want to be held up by those with mobility issues.

We are old. I am in my seventies and my husband is in his eighties. We exercise regularly and eat healthily. We know there may be younger people on our upcoming cruise but we don't care. Young people can be pretty funny. With so many port days we may hit the sack early to avoid them. We book a lot of private tours on our own so we won't offend young people by being a little slower.

My wife and I are doing a 12 day Adriatic Sea cruise on the Oosterdam in April. 11 ports 12 days and only 1 sea day. We are young. We are both in our early 50's and exercise every day and eat healthy. We know he average age on this trip will be way older than us but we don't care. Older folks can be pretty funny. We figure with so many port days the majority will hit the sack early. We might even do that a few times with so many ports. The only thing we did differently was to book more private tours on our own. We didn't want to be held up by those with mobility issues.

I never think think of myself as being young and I'm 54. Let go with your thinking. It's better :D.

Wow. Either you totally misread my post or you are one of the most thin skinned posters on Cruise Critic. In fact, it baffles me how you could read this into what I posted.

I will stand by what I said. Entertainment on HAL is nowhere near as good as Carnival and NCL. HAL is not known for their entertainment and that is a widenly known fact in the cruise industry. And yes, HAL is an older demographic than most other cruise lines. That is also a fact. If you want to put that together as some sort of an insult against "older folk" as you put it, then be my guest. With that sort of logic, I can't help you.

But, if, indeed, HAL has an older demographic

AND if HAL's entertainment is geared to that older demographic

BUT many complaining about HAL's entertainment are that older demographic

THEN Maybe the entertainment is not to the older folks' taste either.

Who know what group HAL's entertainment is supposed to be pleasing because many of us who are older than dirt don't much like HAL's entertainment with great enthusiasm.... (some exception, of course).

You don't see it? Think about it. Why do you think it is that HAL doesn't attract the family crowd that is typical of lines like Carnival, NCL or even RCI? One of the many reasons HAL attracts the demographic it does is because of the entertainment. They don't have action packed ice shows or high dive acts. They don't have 90 minute to 3 hour long Broadway shows with intermissions. They don't have the wild poolside games or late night white hot parties. Heck, they're blowing their nest egg just with the BB King band. The shows on HAL are not to the liking of folks in their 20s to 40s (yes, of course there are exceptions). My response about quality was to the OP, who asked the original question, not to the general HAL populous who prefer this line. I firmly believe he will not find the entertainment quality to be on par, especially since the premise of his entire question was a concern about demographics.

Why do people like ice shows? So a person gets on a ship to get away from winter (some, not everyone of course) and then they go to an ice show :D. If I'm somewhere warm the last place I want to be is inside. Let those cruise lines keep them.

I never think think of myself as being young and I'm 54. Let go with your thinking. It's better :D.

We started sailing HAL in our 40's and I assure you we were not the 'kids' in town. You will not be the only 54 year olds. :D :) Wait until you see the energy of your fellow cruisers. Some can keep up with you just fine.

I will stand by what I said. Entertainment on HAL is nowhere near as good as Carnival and NCL.

That is true, there are no hairy chest or belly flop contests on HAL ships.

Now, that's "entertainment".;)

Edited by kjw869

We always do private tours anyway, and I am one of those "older people" and my husband is one of those with mobility issues. He's also a real nice person who is fun to be with - you just have to look past those "issues":D. Once I was a younger person, and I found I quite enjoyed those older people I met on cruises. Wonderful dinnertime conversations because you are right, we can be pretty funny.;)

I saw a reference to ice shows on cruises, in an earlier post. Yes we have attended those on RCI and I think you have to see them to understand how spectacular they are, and what great entertainment they provide. Thoroughly enjoyable. However, on HAL we look for something different, and it suits us.

I'm the same age as you, and never feel out of place on HAL, nor do I feel the need to alter my plans because of anyone else on board. I dont think we've ever been held up on tour by anyone, either. On our last vacation, my 24 year old son was in a scooter due to weakness after chemotherapy. I think he may have held up a few lines, but everyone was kind to him.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

:D

We started sailing HAL in our 40's and I assure you we were not the 'kids' in town. You will not be the only 54 year olds. :D :) Wait until you see the energy of your fellow cruisers. Some can keep up with you just fine.

Hey its not me that's saying I'm so young:D. Give me the choice between sailing with 30 year olds and 70 year olds, I'll pick 70 any day. I'm an old soul and I had more than enough of the 30 somethings in the workforce.

Edited by cruz chic

I'm the same age as you, and never feel out of place on HAL, nor do I feel the need to alter my plans because of anyone else on board. I dont think we've ever been held up on tour by anyone, either. On our last vacation, my 24 year old son was in a scooter due to weakness after chemotherapy. I think he may have held up a few lines, but everyone was kind to him.

I'm sorry your son is having to go through that. I hope he's on the way to recovery.

I saw a reference to ice shows on cruises, in an earlier post. Yes we have attended those on RCI and I think you have to see them to understand how spectacular they are, and what great entertainment they provide. Thoroughly enjoyable. However, on HAL we look for something different, and it suits us.

I totally agree. RCI's ice shows are phenomenal. There's nothing like it on HAL. But like you, I know what I'm getting into when I book HAL and as such, I enjoy it. It's just a different type of enjoyment, and I also totally understand why my age group (upper 30s/lower 40s) aren't the majority on HAL.

Hey its not me that's saying I'm so young. Give me the choice between sailing with 30 year olds and 70 year olds, I'll pick 70 any day. I'm an old soul and I had more than enough of the 30 somethings in the workforce.

I also agree with this. My tolerance for stupid human tricks is at an all time low. If I could mix the older HAL passengers with the entertainment of RCI, it would be my perfect cruise.

:D

Hey its not me that's saying I'm so young:D. Give me the choice between sailing with 30 year olds and 70 year olds, I'll pick 70 any day. I'm an old soul and I had more than enough of the 30 somethings in the workforce.

I totally get it. :)

This is actually some truth to the adages about having lived longer, we have learned a bit along the way. Oh the stories some of us have to tell from our many years of travel and life in general. We can actually be enjoyable companions. :) Experience does teach us lots along the way..... if we let it.

I totally get it. :)

This is actually some truth to the adages about having lived longer, we have learned a bit along the way. Oh the stories some of us have to tell from our many years of travel and life in general. We can actually be enjoyable companions. :) Experience does teach us lots along the way..... if we let it.

Well said.

I totally agree. RCI's ice shows are phenomenal. There's nothing like it on HAL. But like you, I know what I'm getting into when I book HAL and as such, I enjoy it. It's just a different type of enjoyment, and I also totally understand why my age group (upper 30s/lower 40s) aren't the majority on HAL.

I also agree with this. My tolerance for stupid human tricks is at an all time low. If I could mix the older HAL passengers with the entertainment of RCI, it would be my perfect cruise.

Ice shows many be phenomenal. To me, there is nothing like being outside some place warm. It's only the end of November and I'm sick of cold and ice already. It's kinda like people getting excited about walking on a glacier. I walk on ice 8 months of the year. It's not exciting for me :D.

I like sailing with the older folks. Didn't want anyone to think I don't. I love talking with them and hearing of their life and travel experiences. I fully expect to be one of them some day. I will also be the first one to jump out of my seat in the Lido deck and help them carry their food to the table or hold doors for them etc. i am just saying in a port intensive 12 day med cruise I expect more older people and I expect a good amount to end the evening early. But for those that are out and about I can't wait to sit with you and enjoy a bourbon or scotch with you.

I like sailing with the older folks. Didn't want anyone to think I don't. I love talking with them and hearing of their life and travel experiences. I fully expect to be one of them some day. I will also be the first one to jump out of my seat in the Lido deck and help them carry their food to the table or hold doors for them etc. i am just saying in a port intensive 12 day med cruise I expect more older people and I expect a good amount to end the evening early. But for those that are out and about I can't wait to sit with you and enjoy a bourbon or scotch with you.

Thanks for coming back and I apologise for being a tad super sensitive.

We are old. I am in my seventies and my husband is in his eighties. We exercise regularly and eat healthily. We know there may be younger people on our upcoming cruise but we don't care. Young people can be pretty funny. With so many port days we may hit the sack early to avoid them. We book a lot of private tours on our own so we won't offend young people by being a little slower.

Seriously??? We had you pegged for a decade or a decade and a half younger. (That's the same in Canada, right? Or is it 2.2 English decades? I can't keep track.)

Regardless, you guys look great.

All of the above is why we choose HAL. We want to unwind, relax, read, chill, everything that doesn't happen IRL. We don't want drinking contests, pool games, and LOUD shows. Yes we are "old" but "young" at heart.

Edited by summer slope

I'll try to give an example of different perceptions of style. Here is a link to a CC review and photo of the pool area of a ship on another line.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-1/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=651

My sister saw this, and commented how much fun that ship looked like, and how she wished we went on it instead of the Noordam. Looking at that photo, she probably was impressed by her perception of high energy, music, those pool slides, etc. She looked at this and saw fun. I bet the Noordam looked boring to her by comparison.

I, however, look at this and think...wow, that looks crowded. I wonder how I would get a chair? I bet it's loud and I'd have a problem concentrating on my book. I dont want to be hot next to all those people.

It doesnt make anyone right or wrong. It doesnt even make one better than the other in terms of quality. I believe "better" applies when talking about a person. That ship is definitely better for my sister, just as the Noordam is better for me.

I'll try to give an example of different perceptions of style. Here is a link to a CC review and photo of the pool area of a ship on another line.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-1/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=651

My sister saw this, and commented how much fun that ship looked like, and how she wished we went on it instead of the Noordam. Looking at that photo, she probably was impressed by her perception of high energy, music, those pool slides, etc. She looked at this and saw fun. I bet the Noordam looked boring to her by comparison.

I, however, look at this and think...wow, that looks crowded. I wonder how I would get a chair? I bet it's loud and I'd have a problem concentrating on my book. I dont want to be hot next to all those people.

It doesnt make anyone right or wrong. It doesnt even make one better than the other in terms of quality. I believe "better" applies when talking about a person. That ship is definitely better for my sister, just as the Noordam is better for me.

I've got the same perception as you. The older I get the fewer people I like to be around.

I dunno. I'm in my mid-fifties and my youngest daughter, aged 17, thinks I'm older than dirt, but tolerable, if a little curmudgeonly:D. Age is all about personal perspective.:) I find I fit in just fine with all the other old HAL curmudgeons;):D

Love the older than dirt comment. I've been using that a lot lately.:D

I've got the same perception as you. The older I get the fewer people I like to be around.

Same here. I used to enjoy being on the larger ships and had planned to try one of the mega-ships. Suddenly I found myself getting tired of the crowds, noise, and endless lines and completely changed my mind. After doing some lurking here on the HAL boards for several months, I decided to book a HAL cruise.

Now, I'm really looking forward to the HAL experience next year. Being on a smaller ship with a relaxing, sedate environment, good food, and meeting new people might be what I'm looking for.

Edited by JimAOk1945