Verizon Question

zteamtwo

The best advice to give anyone on these threads is to call their service provider. Verizon sent me a pdf explaining step by step how to set up my phone.

The only issue here is that Verizon's reps are horribly misinformed. I was told that without adding an international calling plan my phone would be unusable out of the country. That is incorrect - the phone worked and we were charged for texts made on the cellular network. Also, they told me over and over that there is no way to enable WiFi with airplane mode on, which is also incorrect. My advice is to just turn the phone off and not use it at all unless you are willing to pay international rates.

The only issue here is that Verizon's reps are horribly misinformed. I was told that without adding an international calling plan my phone would be unusable out of the country. That is incorrect - the phone worked and we were charged for texts made on the cellular network. Also, they told me over and over that there is no way to enable WiFi with airplane mode on, which is also incorrect. My advice is to just turn the phone off and not use it at all unless you are willing to pay international rates.

Being misinformed is how they sell calling plans:p..I think its the end user that is misinformed:D

And, you think some anonymous user on the internet is better informed?

YMMV, but the Verizon rep I talked to knew exactly the differences were between the plans. Contrary to some who say the reps only want to sell coverage plans, the first thing the rep told me that I probably didn't need a plan. She explained exactly what the charges would be without a plan for calls, data, and texts. We talked about my projected usage and she told me she would be happy to sell me a plan but that it sounded like that was not in my best interest. Then the rep told me how to set up my specific phone and while I was talking to her I received an email with the exact written instructions I needed. The biggest bill I've received was about ten bucks when I had to make a short call.

I've seen some very well-intentioned posters provide some very bad advice. What are you going to tell your provider if that happens and you get a big bill? What do you think your service provider will tell you if you tell them: "SomeGuy33 on the internet told me to do it that way"? They will tell you to get a refund from "SomeGuy33" If your provider gives you bad advice (get it in writing like I did) and you still get a bill, then you can roll back against the provider.

The other issue is this. Do you want to be responsible, if you do provide bad advice or the other person misunderstands, for them receiving a big bill? Do everyone a favor and tell them to contact their provider. If you think they might get bad advice, tell them to call twice to verify.

Bottom line: cruise critic is a great source of information on cruises but its not cellphone critic.

We always buy the $25 data roaming package on my phone. Of course, Verizon put it on both phones so we had to call them and get a credit for dh's phone when we got back.

We have a hobby called geocaching and we use data roaming for additional help if we are stuck. We also use it when we are in port and too lazy to find free wifi to download our emails and iMessages (we don't have regular texts since everyone in our extended family and most of our good friends have iPhones).

While folks using the ship's internet wait an eternity to download a day's worth of messages and emails, it takes us maybe 2 minutes if we have a good port cell signal. Then we turn off the data roaming, answer some of the emails, and turn the data roaming back on and send them.

Of course, this only works in port with a smart phone. It is not suitable for a trip with a lot of sea days or if you need to use an actual laptop or a tablet without cell service. At sea, we do keep the roaming off and the phone in airplane mode.

Edited by Viv0828

You never get ship charges for using the ship's cell tower. Any charges from using the ship's cell tower will come from your carrier. You should contact them to find out if the plan you intend to purchase works the same on the ship's cell tower.

Plus when the ship is in port, they will turn off their cellular service so you won't be on the ship's cell system anyway. You will know when you are on the ship's system because your phone will display "Cellular at Sea".

Originally Posted by rudeney

And, you think some anonymous user on the internet is better informed?

I've seen some very well-intentioned posters provide some very bad advice. What are you going to tell your provider if that happens and you get a big bill? What do you think your service provider will tell you if you tell them: "SomeGuy33 on the internet told me to do it that way"? They will tell you to get a refund from "SomeGuy33" If your provider gives you bad advice (get it in writing like I did) and you still get a bill, then you can roll back against the provider.

The other issue is this. Do you want to be responsible, if you do provide bad advice or the other person misunderstands, for them receiving a big bill? Do everyone a favor and tell them to contact their provider. If you think they might get bad advice, tell them to call twice to verify.

Bottom line: cruise critic is a great source of information on cruises but its not cellphone critic.

FYI, this was a VERIZON REP who told me that without a plan, my phones would be unusable out of the country. I've been with VZW since they were formed (came from Cellular One, which became GTE then VZW). I have always been very happy with VZW, but over the last few months, I've gotten such horrible mis-information from their reps that I just cannot recommend them anymore.

FYI, this was a VERIZON REP who told me that without a plan, my phones would be unusable out of the country. I've been with VZW since they were formed (came from Cellular One, which became GTE then VZW). I have always been very happy with VZW, but over the last few months, I've gotten such horrible mis-information from their reps that I just cannot recommend them anymore.

You are far more likely to get bad information on cell phones on a cruise website than you are from your carrier. If you carrier gives you bad information, you can make them make it good. Who is going to make you good if you rely upon someone other than the provider.