Gem's 10am arrival tomorrow in New York

KyleClark

I see that the Gem is scheduled to arrive in NY tomorrow at 10am. Is this accurate? If it is what time does debarkation start and what time will the next sailings guests be able to embark?

Fri 13/11/15 New York (NY) / USA 16:00

Sat 14/11/15 At Sea

Sun 15/11/15 At Sea

Mon 16/11/15 At Sea

Tue 17/11/15 San Juan / Puerto Rico 08:00 17:00

Wed 18/11/15 Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas) / US Virgin Islands 08:00 17:00

Thu 19/11/15 Philipsburg (Sint Maarten) / Lesser Antilles 08:00 17:00

Fri 20/11/15 Roadtown (Tortola) / Brit. Virgin Islands 07:00 13:00

Sat 21/11/15 At Sea

Sun 22/11/15 At Sea

Mon 23/11/15 New York (NY) / USA 10:00

Depends on the weather conditions, but I would guess they will arrive at about 8 A.M. Once the ship is cleared by the local officials disembarkation can begin. Hard to say how long it will take for the ship to be cleared. Embarkation usually begins between 11:00 A.M. and 11:30 A.M.

Depends on the weather conditions, but I would guess they will arrive at about 8 A.M. Once the ship is cleared by the local officials disembarkation can begin. Hard to say how long it will take for the ship to be cleared. Embarkation usually begins between 11:00 A.M. and 11:30 A.M.

I wonder why a 10am arrival is posted. If I were planning a car service based on this time I might be standing outside for a long time. :confused:

Most typically, NCL's ship arrival time at NY's MCT is around 7 AM for 8 AM posted schedule - our previous GEM had a 10 AM arrival, and both for disembarkation & our own on the return, ship was docking at Pier 90 before 7 AM and cleared to disembark pax before 8 AM.

Just use that 10 AM time as a guide and not plan or schedule a "tight" connection for trains & flights (or Bolt/Greyhound or similar buses, etc.) - ships have been running at slower speed to save fuel (... and oil prices already being the lowest in recent years :rolleyes: )

Our friends are on the Breakaway now (all checked in @CAS area before 10:30) - ship arrived at Pier 88 around 7 AM and there're still long lines of pax getting off on the "outside" as they're going thru security toward the back of the terminal building - it typically take 2+ hours for the (mega)ship to clear all the pax with 2 gangways (whereas the GEM only used 1 gangway, AFAIK - corrections are welcomed :D ) BA was cruising slowly around 15 knots last night when it was within radar tracking range off the NJ/DE/MD/VA coastal waters - and, can easily speed UP to recover any lost time if necessary vs. more fuel "savings" ;)

Delays and actual late arrival past 9 AM are the exceptions, instead of being the "norm" for NY salings - folks would be freaking out with the 12 noon or even 1 PM flight as one might not be off the ship, clear immigration/custom until 11 AM and still have to get into the taxi/car service to the local transportation points for making the "connections" to their next destination or home.

Practically speaking, boarding usually start around 11 to 11:15 AM, maybe 11:30 AM but we've been there & waited until almost noon (due to inspections) before priority groups getting called.

It's a mystery to us why NCL started posting a 10am return time for both Gem and Breakaway. On both these ships this year we were back at the dock with lines tied by 7am. Occasionally there may be a delay returning, but it's rare.

If 10am was the usual time back to the dock (as NCL unfortunately has chosen to show on itineraries), there's no way boarding for the next cruise would begin before noon like it usually does.

Edited by mizlorinj

It's a mystery to us why NCL started posting a 10am return time for both Gem and Breakaway. On both these ships this year we were back at the dock with lines tied by 7am. Occasionally there may be a delay returning, but it's rare.

If 10am was the usual time back to the dock (as NCL unfortunately has chosen to show on itineraries), there's no way boarding for the next cruise would begin before noon like it usually does.

Most likely it is an effort to slow down the folks that want to arrive at the pier at 8 am to be "first in line" thereby clogging up the whole departure group. Almost always the ships dock an hour or more earlier than the posted time.

If I am not mistaken, the cruise ships don't have priority in the Ambrose channel and the Anchorage channel leading into NYC...so there "could" be delays due to container ships...

....or a whale stuck to the "bulbous" bow !!! ;)

You just never know

Most likely it is an effort to slow down the folks that want to arrive at the pier at 8 am to be "first in line" thereby clogging up the whole departure group. Almost always the ships dock an hour or more earlier than the posted time.

Yup! The early birds. I am on tomorrows sailing and don't plan on arriving until 1pm. Early makes no sense to me. The lines are clogged and rooms aren't ready so you have to lug around everything. I always wait and walk right on board, drop my stuff in the cabin and head to lunch.